Debunking in contention forum indicator.

Gary Cook

I think it could be very useful for an indicator to be included the forum list of threads to indicate whether a debunking claim is agreed upon or is being contended and some kind of mechanism using the scientific method to come to the conclusion.

It would add an interesting dynamic and would encourage more debate in the forum threads that are on topic.

Yeah maybe, but a good debunking should be clear in exactly what is being addressed and how it is proving its conclusion, and I think that is the case for almost all of the 'debunked' topics here. Most of the comments that disagree with a debunking seem to be strawmanning unintentionally by looking at a wider topic rather than the very explicit case being addressed.
And commenting in a thread allows you to specifically address what you think is wrong with the debunked claim.
A poll indicator would be prone to abuse by drive-by hostile posters.

I think it could be very useful for an indicator to be included the forum list of threads to indicate whether a debunking claim is agreed upon or is being contended and some kind of mechanism using the scientific method to come to the conclusion.

It would add an interesting dynamic and would encourage more debate in the forum threads that are on topic.
A reading of the thread accomplishes the same thing. Disagree.

Yeah maybe, but a good debunking should be clear in exactly what is being addressed and how it is proving its conclusion, and I think that is the case for almost all of the 'debunked' topics here. Most of the comments that disagree with a debunking seem to be strawmanning unintentionally by looking at a wider topic rather than the very explicit case being addressed.
And commenting in a thread allows you to specifically address what you think is wrong with the debunked claim.
A poll indicator would be prone to abuse by drive-by hostile posters.

It was only a suggestion. If nobody wants that it fine. Although i think we are intelligent enough to solve any issue we came across. =)

There are already 5,000,000 places on the internet where folks can go argue & debate
their opinions
--often based primarily on lazy hunches, inertia, childhood prejudices & naught.

Yes, this is not a debate forum. It's forum for politely figuring out if things are bunk or not, and then spreading that information, and preventing bunk from forming.

There are already 5,000,000 places on the internet where folks can go argue & debate
their opinions
--often based primarily on lazy hunches, inertia, childhood prejudices & naught.

Slamming so many other people is not going to help get your point across. Most people are decent folk who wouldnt hurt anybody.

How does one,

without debating?

By investigating and sharing information that very specifically applies to the point.

Or more simply, by discussing, not debating.

In a debate, you try to persuade the other person of your point of view.
In a discussion you are trying to figure out what is correct.

Here, if needed, we have a discussion, not a debate. Often even that is not needed, and we can just point out what the facts are.

or how about if you feel the Debunk is Bunk, debunk it. with sources and evidence.

I do try but sometimes the truth is obfuscated in this society we live in. then again I did learn that some things do seem like bunk. Like all contrails really being chemtrails, is bunk.

Like all contrails really being chemtrails, is bunk.

Congratulations! Now, how do we inform the rest of the world who still labor ('labour') under the "chem"trail misconception?

I repeatedly encounter people who will 'hand-wave' away actual facts, and even go so far as to call 'MetaBunk' and 'contrailscience' "Dis-Info" websites!! The levels of ignorance can sometimes be difficult to wade through.

Congratulations! Now, how do we inform the rest of the world who still labor ('labour') under the "chem"trail misconception?

I repeatedly encounter people who will 'hand-wave' away actual facts, and even go so far as to call 'MetaBunk' and 'contrailscience' "Dis-Info" websites!! The levels of ignorance can sometimes be difficult to wade through.

I am not saying a lot of debunkers are not just as misinformed and biased. Critical thinking and balance is the key. That lacks on both sides of the fence sometimes.

People can be so egotistical. It sucks.

I do try but sometimes the truth is obfuscated in this society we live in. then again I did learn that some things do seem like bunk. Like all contrails really being chemtrails, is bunk.

The "truth" is often obfuscated by both external and internal factors.

Back