Debunked: Mandatory Vaccines for Veterans

MikeG

Senior Member.
From a story by the Activist Post website:

mandatory_vaccine.png

A Bill has just passed the US Senate, mandating that the US Department of Veteran Affairs ensure that all veterans receive immunizations (vaccines) per a draconian schedule. At this juncture, active military must receive over a dozen vaccines. This piece of legislation is therefore an effort to extend the vaccine mandate to those who have previously served their country.

Sec. 101 of Senate Bill 1203, named the 21st Century Veterans Benefits Delivery Act, states that the Department of Veterans Affairs will be tasked with the mandate to “ensure that veterans receiving medical services under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, receive each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule.”

The schedule referred to above is frankly staggering. Over ninety vaccines are listed.
Content from External Source
http://www.activistpost.com/2015/11...ving-mandatory-vaccinations-for-veterans.html

Essentially, the author is conflating immunization with paranoia about draconian government and rolling veterans into it for additional impact.

I started doing my research by locating the actual bill. It is located here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1203/text

The whole passage reads as follows. The boldface emphasis is mine

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than two years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall submit to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the Senate and the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the House of Representatives a report on the development and implementation by the Department of Veterans Affairs of quality measures and metrics, including targets for compliance, to ensure that veterans receiving medical services under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, receive each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule.

(2) RECOMMENDED ADULT IMMUNIZATION SCHEDULE DEFINED.—In this subsection, the term “recommended adult immunization schedule” has the meaning given that term in section 1701(10) of title 38, United States Code, as added by subsection (a)(2).

Chapter 17 of U.S. Code pertaining to veterans’ medical care, specifically 1712(4)(e) is here. Again, boldface emphasis is mine.

In order to assist the Secretary of Health and Human Services in carrying out national immunization programs under other provisions of law, the Secretary may authorize the administration of immunizations to eligible veterans who voluntarily request such immunizations in connection with the provision of care for a disability under this chapter in any Department health care facility. Any such immunization shall be made using vaccine furnished by the Secretary of Health and Human Services at no cost to the Department. For such purpose, notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services may provide such vaccine to the Department at no cost. Section 7316 of this title shall apply to claims alleging negligence or malpractice on the part of Department personnel granted immunity under such section.
http://uscode.house.gov/browse/prelim@title38/part2/chapter17&edition=prelim

I could not find any references to “over ninety vaccines” in the U.S. Code. However, I did locate actual VA recommendations for vaccines. There are ten and, again, the term “recommended” is prominent.

http://www.prevention.va.gov/Healthy_Living/Get_Recommended_Vaccines_and_Screening_Tests.asp

I can offer some anecdotal evidence as well. I am a veteran and became a registered volunteer for the Veterans Administration this year. Aside from a standard background check, I also had medical screening to determine my immunities and had the option of updating my shots, to include immunization for Hepatitis B. It was clear throughout the process that everything was voluntary. If I declined shots, all the VA wanted was a signed waiver.

After all, the omnipotent global power structure doesn’t want to get sued.

Attachments

• PreventiveSvcsMen_F508Color.pdf
    125.4 KB · Views: 729
I am a Vet, and the VA has never required a vaccination of any type of me...About all they did was recommend the Flu shot....Which I was free to decline....I think this sort of hyperbole, as noted above, does nothing useful...

I am a Vet, and the VA has never required a vaccination of any type of me...About all they did was recommend the Flu shot....Which I was free to decline....I think this sort of hyperbole, as noted above, does nothing useful...

Yanno.. normally when we Vets are tapped for something, we get a letter in the mail demanding our attention. I havent gotten anything in the mail from the VA or anyone else except junk mail. My home of record, phone number AND current address are all on file with Uncle Sam, the VA, American Legion and The Marine Corps League. ONE of them, Im SURE, would have reached out to me to let me know of some mandatory vaccination.

LOL I had NO IDEA that these type of web sites are FAKE

THAT IS AMAZING !!!!!

Every post from the last 2 days is GONE?

LOL Wow. Amazing. < shaking my head > I am absolutely stunned.

THAT IS AMAZING !!!!!

The posts were moved to Open Discusson as they didn’t meet posting guidelines. You should read them.

THAT IS AMAZING !!!!!

Or.. yanno, you could check your notifications and see where the discussions been moved to:

upload_2015-11-20_9-40-30.png

https://www.metabunk.org/fr-michiganss-discussion-regarding-vaccines.t7004/

instead of jumping to conclusions. Just my two cents tho.

BTW.. thats MY notification, just for clarification of the situation... cant think of any more tion words; :p

Last edited:
I don't see how quoting a proposed law is hyperbole or not useful. Veterans fought so that their country would remain free. According to the quoted proposed law, veterans will not be free to decline a simple flu shot if it's on some paid-off official's list of recommended shots. Veterans earned their health care through serving their country, and should not have to do inject themselves with whatever Big Pharm decides in order to keep it.

I don't see how quoting a proposed law is hyperbole or not useful. Veterans fought so that their country would remain free. According to the quoted proposed law, veterans will not be free to decline a simple flu shot if it's on some paid-off official's list of recommended shots. Veterans earned their health care through serving their country, and should not have to do inject themselves with whatever Big Pharm decides in order to keep it.
Please quote the part of the law that says it is mandatory.

According to the quoted proposed law, veterans will not be free to decline a simple flu shot if it's on some paid-off official's list of recommended shots.
I really don't get where this law say that.
From my reading, this law isn't even for the veterans, but for the health care services who provide them various things. From what I read, vaccines are seen as something that veterans must have access to if they desire ; and apparently, there was a need to improve this access, or insure that this access doesn't become subpar in the future.
TITLE I—HEALTH CARE MATTERS
Subtitle A—Expansion And Improvement Of Health Care Benefits

SEC. 101. IMPROVED ACCESS TO APPROPRIATE IMMUNIZATIONS FOR VETERANS.
(a) Inclusion Of Recommended Adult Immunizations As Medical Services.—

(1) COVERED BENEFIT.—Subparagraph (F) of section 1701(9) of title 38, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

“(F) immunizations against infectious diseases, including each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule;”.

(2) RECOMMENDED ADULT IMMUNIZATION SCHEDULE DEFINED.—Section 1701 of such title is amended by adding after paragraph (9) the following new paragraph:

“(10) The term ‘recommended adult immunization schedule’ means the schedule established (and periodically reviewed and, as appropriate, revised) by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices established by the Secretary of Health and Human Services and delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”.

(b) Inclusion Of Recommended Adult Immunizations In Annual Report.—Section 1704(1)(A) of such title is amended—

(1) in clause (i), by striking “and” at the end;

(2) in clause (ii), by striking the period at the end and inserting “; and”; and

(3) by inserting after clause (ii) the following new clause:

“(iii) to provide veterans each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule.”.
The other sections talk about other services ; I don't imagine that all veterans will have to see a chiropractor or get a prostethic ???
SEC. 102. EXPANSION OF PROVISION OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE AND SERVICES TO VETERANS.
(a) Program For Provision Of Chiropractic Care And Services To Veterans.
SEC. 111. EXPANSION OF AVAILABILITY OF PROSTHETIC AND ORTHOTIC CARE FOR VETERANS.
(a) Establishment Or Expansion Of Advanced Degree Programs To Expand Availability Of Provision Of Care.—The Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall work with institutions of higher education to develop partnerships for the establishment or expansion of programs of advanced degrees in prosthetics and orthotics in order to improve and enhance the availability of high quality prosthetic and orthotic care for veterans.

Veterans Administration doctors and staff are subject to the provisions established in the U.S. Code that I included in the original post.

Moreover, one of the basic principles that governs their actions is informed consent.

This is from the 2009 Veterans Health Administration Handbook 1004.1, page 1.

VHA is committed to providing a health care environment that supports respect for patients and protects their right to autonomous, informed participation in health care decisions. These essential elements of quality health care are formalized in this national policy that establishes a process for informing patients about health care options and obtaining their consent prior to treatment.
In other words, all doctors, nurses, and staff are required by this policy, as well as the U.S. Code, to protect their patients.

To monitor compliance, the VA maintains an Office of Inspector General. This agency is essentially the first layer. Beyond that, there is Congressional oversight. Beyond that are private citizens with the right to initiate legal action in the event their rights are abused.

The linkage between VA doctors and "Big Pharm" is pure speculation that has no relation to the facts.

Attachments

• viewpublication.asp.pdf
    972.7 KB · Views: 964
I find it reprehensible that a website would post this with no footnotes or any other evidence, and just use this as a springboard to try to prove some conspiracy theory. As a matter of fact, who the hell is Activist Post anyway? Some of their other articles are so full of disinformation, and people just eat up- I notice on thing- Russia looks damn good.. Hmmm.. I wonder.

Yanno.. normally when we Vets are tapped for something, we get a letter in the mail demanding our attention. I havent gotten anything in the mail from the VA or anyone else except junk mail. My home of record, phone number AND current address are all on file with Uncle Sam, the VA, American Legion and The Marine Corps League. ONE of them, Im SURE, would have reached out to me to let me know of some mandatory vaccination.
Plus if Krystan Meghan isnt completely freaking out, I'm sure we don't need to.

Back