Cube UFO over Springfield Missouri

This recent video of a spinning cube with "lights" has started doing the rounds:

Impressive footage, clearer than others. However, I think this is possibly the answer:

CubeUFO.jpg

Last edited:
That sky looks pretty "sun has set" to me, in which case. yes, they are very bright. That said, my curiosity is aroused and if the batteries are charged I'll go test one of mine and take some pics. If they battery is not charged, there may be some delay! :)

EDIT: Battery is charging. I notice now that he does say "middlle of the day" while filming, so if that is accurate my judgement on how the sky seems to be darening may have been in error. Anyway, I'll post vid once I have it.

Last edited:
So following up. I tested one of my led kites in daylight (previosuly had only taken video at night, because that's when you fly them!) and I am now confident that this style of led kite, at least, can't be the UFO. Because there was no wind here today, I just set it up and took vid on the ground. Unless dusk is well advanced, the leds just are not bright enough, I don't think, though they are quite bright and would make good UFO vid at night. On first viewing the "cube" video, I'd missed the seconds at the very beginning where a sunlit building is in the foreground, so my impression that it was nearer dusk was in error.

So I missed the boat on this one, over to the rest of you!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCMwECazIsg
At leas I seem to have captured some "sky trumpets" noises near the beginning, so the esperiment was not a total loss. Didn;t even notice at the time...

Doesn't look like lights to me, just reflections that change as the object moves.

Cube balloon in the OP seems a good shout.

Unless dusk is well advanced, the leds just are not bright enough,
Thanks for following up with an experiment!

I had the advantage over you because I've done open air stage lighting, and on a clear day, you can shine a 1000W light on the stage and not even see its effect, which makes setting the lights before dusk a challenge! Because our eyes adapt, most people aren't aware of how bright the daytime sky is.

Thanks for following up with an experiment!

I had the advantage over you because I've done open air stage lighting, and on a clear day, you can shine a 1000W light on the stage and not even see its effect, which makes setting the lights before dusk a challenge! Because our eyes adapt, most people aren't aware of how bright the daytime sky is.
That's a fairly tame lesson from stage to be honest :)

I had the advantage over you because I've done open air stage lighting...
I myself have done outdoor drama as an actor, and so I have the skill of talking very loudly, plus very fast if it looks like rain is coming. But that skill set is less useful in this thread...

Back