Claim: Passenger luggage limited to make room for chemical tanks

Marin B

I was at a party a few weeks ago and met a self-proclaimed chemtrail activist. First person (other than my conspiracy-believing family member) I've met in real life who believes in chemtrails. We had a cordial exchange. I think this person was surprised that I knew so many of the talking points and had responses for them. The one talking point that I hadn't heard before is that there are now luggage restrictions on planes to make room for the chemtrail chemicals. As "evidence" she asked why there never used to be luggage restrictions. I and someone else who was in the conversation commented on how planes nowadays are always booked to capacity whereas decades ago it wasn't uncommon to be able to find several seats in a row where you could stretch out and take a nap. We of course parted ways without changing each others minds.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The one talking point that I hadn't heard before is that there are now luggage restrictions on planes to make room for the chemtrail chemicals. As "evidence" she asked why there never used to be luggage restrictions.
There was always luggage restrictions. I remember traveling in 1990s there was actually a DIY couriers service where they would give you a piece of luggage that exactly fit the maximum size, and you flew with it from the US to the UK. Then someone else picked it up.

I think it's changed now simply for profit, you have the same limits, just get charged more if you use them fully.

qed

Essentially, we take up the same amount of space, but pay more for it. Same in my country.

Marin B

So there wasn't enough space for the chemicals before?
I think the activist's argument is that before, i.e. when there was no chemtrail spraying, you could check as much baggage as you wanted. And now that commercial jets are also (allegedly) spraying chemicals, space is limited and so passengers have limitations on how much baggage they can check.

Marin B

depends on what you mean by "in the past".
Yes, this is one point I tried to make to the chemtrail activist - that 30-40 years ago, air travel was relatively expensive and it was pretty unusual for a middle income person to travel by air. I speculated that air traffic has probably increased at least 20x since the 70's because it have become such a commonplace means of transportation, not to mention all the international business air travel and cargo services like FedEx.

Nada Truther

why there never used to be luggage restrictions.
I seem to remember that they always kept how much luggage you took on the plan in check. The biggest difference now is that you often have to pay to bring it on. That COULD be a way to keep the chemical/luggage area free for the chemical tanks, but what happens if people just say "ah, screw it, we will pay the damn price and take two bags each!" and now there is no room for the chemical tanks? Maybe he was thinking of the airlines like Spirit that keep the luggage weight down; but the size is still the same. That is supposed to be to make the plane lighter, and cheaper to operate, therefore making the customers pay less. Makes sense to me.

Trailblazer

Staff member
The way to answer this would surely to be get hold of baggage allowance rules from, say, the 1970s or 1980s. Maybe old airline adverts would be a place to find them?

deirdre

Senior Member.
The way to answer this would surely to be get hold of baggage allowance rules from, say, the 1970s or 1980s. Maybe old airline adverts would be a place to find them?
My personal recollection in America (national flight) was that you could bring however many bags you wanted. no cost.

I think the real question is whether there actually IS a restriction now.

The few airlines I just checked (national flights) don't mention a bag limit, they just charge for xtra bags (some airlines let 1 checked on and some 2 checked on plus carryon). here is a list of airlines for 2014.. this SW one mentions over 9 bags being acceptable.
But that makes sense to me. Why should I pay 50$ xtra on my airfare ticket because some ComiCon groupie wants to suck up gas with 12 suitcases, or a traveling music band has 20 cartons of equipment to load.*

*Although there might be rules about alerting airlines to certain high volume needs. I didn't see any mention of this with a quick google of baggage rules, but I know if you are traveling with a coffin you need to alert the airline before hand... although I'd have to look more to see if this is because of the xtra room needed or the xtra handling (personnel) needed.

deirdre

Senior Member.
ok American Airlines have some seasonal limitations
so American Airlines only sprays during warmer weather to destinations not conducive to SRM. See, my general theory that the government is horribly inefficient is true! :)

Ray Von Geezer

Senior Member.
Maybe it's due to the obesity epidemic? :D

I think they're confusing 'limit' with 'allowance', the amount you can take on without paying extra.

In 30 years of travel I've never been told I couldn't take luggage on, but I have had to pay extra.

Ray Von

Tedsson

I first flew in 1962.

There were luggage weight restrictions then.

There have been weight restrictions on every airline ticket I have seen since then.

In one sense they are not actually “weight restrictions” as you can take as much as you want if you are prepared to pay extra for it. There are countless stories and pictures online about celebrities like Elton John and Joan Collins taking dozens of suitcases onto aircraft.

I think the arbitrary and highly variable nature of the restrictions invalidates the chemtrailers argument.

Whilst weight is obviously the enemy of flight excess baggage charges are extremely lucrative for airlines.

British travellers pay roughly £400million per annum in excess charges.
(Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...ts-pay-395million-excess-baggage-charges.html - Not typically regarded as the most reliable of sources but reasonably accurate on news).

US passengers even more. Luggage handling is worth around $3.5Billion p.a according to The Economist (Source: https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2015/05/05/sky-high-profits).

More a case of fleecing than spraying.

JFDee

Senior Member.
It's also worth to note that cargo space on passenger planes is filled up with regular cargo if there is room.

So if you don't bring any check-in baggage, there will be more space for other cargo.

A quick search brought up this:
https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en...ot-does-the-passenger-planes-also-carry-cargo

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/history-of-airline-baggage

Trailblazer

Staff member
It's also worth to note that cargo space on passenger planes is filled up with regular cargo if there is room.

So if you don't bring any check-in baggage, there will be more space for other cargo.

A quick search brought up this:
https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en...ot-does-the-passenger-planes-also-carry-cargo

This is true: I was reading just the other day that when MH17 crashed, people inspecting the wreckage initially thought more than one aircraft was involved because the plane was carrying helicopter and other aircraft parts as cargo.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Shade sitter Claim: Covid vaccine gives you "Serpent" DNA/marks you 666 Coronavirus COVID-19 9
P Claim: Ronald Reagan warned the world of aliens/alien invasion UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
P Claim: Man took photo of an alien spacecraft in 2016 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
Arugula Claim: Only 6% of COVID deaths are "real" - the rest died due to comorbidities Coronavirus COVID-19 10
P Claim: Finding of potentially chemiluminescent compound in soil proves aliens landed UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 11
M Claim: UFO performs sharp maneuver after laser pointer directly hits craft UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 20
Critical Thinker Claim: Correlations Between Media Preference and Coronavirus Infection Rates Coronavirus COVID-19 11
L Claim: NASA is doctoring an image [Scanner Dirt] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Martin Gugino Was Using a "Police Tracker." Conspiracy Theories 42
Rory Claim: A dog in Manchester could sense its owner's return by unknown means UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
jarlrmai Claim: UFO following jet into landing at JFK on 11/11/19 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Dingo Claim: U.S. Covid-19 Deaths are being Artificially Inflated Coronavirus COVID-19 38
W Claim: The Heart Is Not A Pump Health and Quackery 6
J Another sun path claim Flat Earth 4
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
Rory Claim: Spanish flu caused by radio waves Coronavirus COVID-19 3
J [False] Claim that Scale Model of 2017 Eclipse Disproves the Heliocentric Model Flat Earth 29
Rory Claim: UK Coronavirus Bill (HC Bill 122) means "bad things" Coronavirus COVID-19 9
Mick West Claim: China Mobile loses 8.116 Million subscribers because of Coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 2
Agent K Claim: Harvey Weinstein has coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 9
Mick West Claim: Julian Assange offered pardon to "Lie" for Trump Current Events 20
Jesse3959 FE Claim Debunked: JTolan Epic Gravity Experiment - Flat earther disproves Perspective! (or his instruments.) Flat Earth 0
Wiggles Claim: Distant Objects Being Obscured Is Due To the "Mirror Blocking" Effect of Inferior Mirages Flat Earth 7
Mick West Claim: Section 13.1 on Vaccine Inserts Removed to Hide that Vaccines not Tested to Cause Cancer Conspiracy Theories 7
Rory Claim: footage of Great South Bay Bridge supports flat earth Flat Earth 11
mudr0 Claim: Australia was not visible from the moon for Apollo 11 Broadcasts Conspiracy Theories 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Moon Passing The Meridian Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 0
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Seeing The Same Stars All Year Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 20
Mick West Claim: Fertility Clinics are a new thing (David Icke) Conspiracy Theories 12
Rory Claim: Nasa' in Hebrew means "to deceive" Flat Earth 11
Leifer Claim: magnetic dust on cars proves chemtrail fallout Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
MikeG Claim: DC officials are "flocking" to "Doomsday Camps" Conspiracy Theories 4
StarGazer Convex Earth Claim: Ships Disappear Below The Horizon Due To A Optical Phenomena Flat Earth 3
Nth Claim: 146 Mile Microwave Transmission Proves Flat Earth Flat Earth 26
FlightMuj Apollo 12 photo analysis shows Sun as bulb [claim] Conspiracy Theories 19
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Missing from Bureau of Transportation Departure Report 9/11 12
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
derwoodii Claim Melania Trump has a double, will the real 1st lady please stand up Conspiracy Theories 11
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
Z.W. Wolf Claim: The Moon's Shadow During The Solar Eclipse Disproves Sphere Earth Flat Earth 97
B Claim: Flu vaccine from multi-dose vials Use Too Much Mercury Health and Quackery 19
SR1419 Claim: 757s cant dump fuel. (True) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
ki_cz Claim: Satellite imagery showing 'sheet' of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West AE911 Truth Forced to Claim Plasco Collapse is an Inside Job 9/11 336
vaccine papers Claim: flu vaccine increases risk of non-influenza infection Health and Quackery 8
Rory Claim: Japanese man puts animals to sleep with chi UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 23
MikeC Claim: FAA conspiring with Police to limit news access to Black Rock General Discussion 3
derwoodii Claim The seabed around Kaikoura, New Zealand has risen by up to 1.8 m earthquake General Discussion 20
Related Articles

Related Articles