Carnicom isolates Morgellon's DNA!!

MikeC

Closed Account
Article on Carnicom's site....

They even have photos of DNA from ..

And an "equipment fundraiser" donation button - they have $820 so far!!

George B

Extinct but not forgotten Staff Member

Let's see if they publish their results and get peer review by DNA experts . . .

Bill

Senior Member.

I see from the photograph the got the big DNA. That's so much easier to work with than the microscopic DNA the labs keep fooling around with.

MikeC

Closed Account
Yep - makes it much easier to analyse when the DNA is actually bigger than the fibers themselves!! ;)

although tbh I think that they mean that the "big dna" is more than 1 strand.....but I find the write up pretty confused and waffly

Bill

Senior Member.
I visited their donation page. Their stated goal:
http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/dna-phase-i-research/129862
I'm glad to see they not going to put this in the hands of objective experts. They might not get the conclusions they've already ready reached.

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
Uhm...how does he know it is "Morgellon's" DNA and not just DNA from things you would expect to find in your mouth?

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
Ive done a bit of reading on Morgellons, and I just want to make sure I understand what it is exactly... Is my understanding that its a sensation of bugs/parasites crawling on the body or biting etc accurate? Only reason I ask is because the symptoms seem to cover everything from MS type symptoms to Firbromyalgia(sp?) and 'coke bugs'

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
Ive done a bit of reading on Morgellons, and I just want to make sure I understand what it is exactly... Is my understanding that its a sensation of bugs/parasites crawling on the body or biting etc accurate? Only reason I ask is because the symptoms seem to cover everything from MS type symptoms to Firbromyalgia(sp?) and 'coke bugs'

Sounds about right. It's proposed to be some undiscovered organism and some people say they're associated with chemtrails. I'd say that Lyme disease likely plays a role in many cases. Paranoia also seems to be a common theme in people who claim to suffer from it. It's unfortunate, but that really seems to be the case.

Last edited:

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
How much would it cost for thorough testing of those samples from a third party?

Not sure, really. They could do PCR themselves with a kit for about $250-300, but you could do it even cheaper than that if you did it the old school way where you don't need an automated thermocycler.

MikeC

Closed Account
Uhm...how does he know it is "Morgellon's" DNA and not just DNA from things you would expect to find in your mouth?

'cos it's says so - right there - "....oral filaments in association with the so-called "Morgellons" condition" - how could you possibly question such a strong association??

;)

Bill

Senior Member.
They also claim that weird fibers and foreign materials grow out of their skin and they have mysterious sores. My favorite "I keep scratching but my sores won't heal".

George B

It is a condition people latch on to for a lack of certainty with any other diagnosis . . . no investigation so far by medical authorities or experts have connected any condition to the diagnosis . . . it is assumed most likely to be a psychosomatic condition . . . patients basically self diagnose. It has been studied by the Mayo Clinic and a larger study by Kaiser Medical System in Northern California . . http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/qa.html

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-has-first-major-U-S-study-of-Morgellons-3232765.php

George B

I think there is no strong correlation between symptoms and cause much like what was seen in Gulf War Syndrome, Agent Orange exposure and originally in Lyme's Disease . . . there was always controversy and suspicion but difficult connections . . . in the case of Morgellons there is even less than in the three mentioned above . . . the issue is: there are people who are hurting and looking for an explanation . . . it is hard to criticize their search for any plausible cause. Though we may think the connection with chemtrails/geoengineering is a stretch . . . they don't share our skepticism . . . especially when we don't think chemtrails exist at all . . .

Last edited:

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
Not sure, really. They could do PCR themselves with a kit for about $250-300, but you could do it even cheaper than that if you did it the old school way where you don't need an automated thermocycler.
I think there is no strong correlation between symptoms and cause much like what was seen in Gulf War Syndrome, Agent Orange exposure and originally in Lyme's Disease . . . there was always controversy and suspicion but difficult connections . . . in the case of Morgellons there is even less than in the three mentioned above . . .

I can understand the need to find SOME kind of answer for things youre feeling in your body, but coming up with something that wild and outlandish is just.... odd. My Ex-Wife has some serious nerve issues resulting from a not so great back injury about 12 years ago and has many of, if not ALL of the same symptoms. It makes me wonder if these same people may have some form of nerve damage from an injury they may not realize they've sustained or have been able to have diagnosed.

Last edited:

George B

I can understand the need to find SOME kind of answer for things your feeling in your body, but coming up with something that wild and outlandish is just.... odd. My Ex-Wife has some serious nerve issues resulting from a not so great back injury about 12 years ago and has many of, if not ALL of the same symptoms. It makes me wonder if these same people may have some form of nerve damage from an injury they may not realize they've sustained or have been able to have diagnosed.
Sometimes not knowing what is harming you or a loved one makes people desperate for an explanation . . . when all else has been eliminated, people turn to the less acceptable and marginal connections . . . it is not that hard to understand . . .

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
Not that Lyme disease is responsible for all cases or the symptoms most classically associated with Morgellon's, I just think that Lyme disease, especially if gone untreated, would exacerbate any paranoia a person already has about creepy feelings under their skin and therefore be more inclined to respond to irritation and pick at sores.

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
I can understand both of your points to an extent, my ex and I went through similar emotions out of frustration.. but we knew better than to try to invent some brand new disease that cant be proven as a reason... Even with AIDS and HIV, there was a cause that could be traced, it just wasnt understood because of the way it behaved.. Morgellons doesnt even have -that- much from what I can find.

George B

I can understand both of your points to an extent, my ex and I went through similar emotions out of frustration.. but we knew better than to try to invent some brand new disease that cant be proven as a reason... Even with AIDS and HIV, there was a cause that could be traced, it just wasnt understood because of the way it behaved.. Morgellons doesnt even have -that- much from what I can find.
Not unless you believe chemtrails are real . . . then you can imagine almost any thing you choose to about what they can cause . . .

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Morgellons is an extraordinarily emotive subject. I would exercise both caution and compassion when discussing it.

I would recommend my old blog Morgellons Watch (where I write as "Michael", my given name), the Key Posts listed on the right, or just this one:

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
I understand where you're coming from Mick, and what you're sayin.. and please dont misunderstand what Im getting at.. Im not at all saying that what these people are going through isnt real.. I just cant find any reason or evidence to suggest that its actually Morgellons.. There are hundreds of other reasons that would and can cause the same symptomology as presented.. nerve damage being one of them, or (as George pointed out) Desert Storm Syndrom etc... Thats all.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I understand where you're coming from Mick, and what you're sayin.. and please dont misunderstand what Im getting at.. Im not at all saying that what these people are going through isnt real.. I just cant find any reason or evidence to suggest that its actually Morgellons.. There are hundreds of other reasons that would and can cause the same symptomology as presented.. nerve damage being one of them, or (as George pointed out) Desert Storm Syndrom etc... Thats all.

I wasn't picking on anything you said, just a general set of observations.

Morgellons is just a list of symptoms. There's nothing at all to suggest it is a distinct disease. However it's very tempting to push off their entire set of symptom as delusional. It's very easy to fall into the false dichotomy of "disease or delusion". Reality is more complex, and varies greatly by individual.

But yes, there are lots of conditions that can create those symptoms. Menopause, for example.
http://morgellonswatch.com/2006/08/25/occams-menopause/

The problem is that the people who strongly believe in Morgellons are strongly opposed to any alternate explanation. Much more strongly than, say, chemtrail believers.

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
I wasn't picking on anything you said, just a general set of observations.

Morgellons is just a list of symptoms. There's nothing at all to suggest it is a distinct disease. However it's very tempting to push off their entire set of symptom as delusional. It's very easy to fall into the false dichotomy of "disease or delusion". Reality is more complex, and varies greatly by individual.

But yes, there are lots of conditions that can create those symptoms. Menopause, for example.
http://morgellonswatch.com/2006/08/25/occams-menopause/

The problem is that the people who strongly believe in Morgellons are strongly opposed to any alternate explanation. Much more strongly than, say, chemtrail believers.

I absolutely agree, and dont worry I didnt take your post as a jab at me in the least.. I took it as general advice and a constructive criticism.

Belfrey

Senior Member.
He'd still need to get it sequenced, though. He doesn't even know what he's looking for, so it's not like he can order specific primers. I don't have much confidence that he understands the process well enough to make use of PCR to study an unknown.

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
He'd still need to get it sequenced, though. He doesn't even know what he's looking for, so it's not like he can order specific primers. I don't have much confidence that he understands the process well enough to make use of PCR to study an unknown.

True, you can't do PCR without primers. If he had a pure sample of DNA (which there is no reason to believe that he does) all he would need to do is shotgun sequence it and that would be good enough to demonstrate a new organism. He's actually making more work for himself by wanting to do PCR, which probably wouldn't even work because he doesn't seem to use sterile technique and PCR is a very sensitive procedure.

Election 2020

Related Articles