Bugs and Suggestions for Metabunk.org

@Mick West is there a way to make the 'search' so we can pick multiple forums to search at once. Like sometimes SH stuff gets thrown into Rambles or Open discussion and then i have to search each forum individually. :(

@Mick West is there a way to make the 'search' so we can pick multiple forums to search at once. Like sometimes SH stuff gets thrown into Rambles or Open discussion and then i have to search each forum individually. :(

By default the search should search all forums, unless you check the box to just search one.

To select a set of forums click on "More" to get to advanced search, then select the forums you want (Ctlr-click or Cmd-Click to select more than one)

I do not know where this bug comes from, but the Metabunk software does not know about the time change in Europe that occurred the previous night. It tells me that my last post was 'yesterday' while it is still 'today' here in the UK.

I do not know where this bug comes from, but the Metabunk software does not know about the time change in Europe that occurred the previous night. It tells me that my last post was 'yesterday' while it is still 'today' here in the UK.
All will be right in a week.

Site still going rapidly from accessible to inaccessible many times each day. Error message is this:

ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Chrome browser.

I found Metabunk inaccessible last night around 10 ish UK time

but I was having problems (and have had a few this morning) accessing "some" websites

anecdotally they seem to be American ones

DNS resolution was working and the BBC website was loading

I thought/think maybe and internet issue with part of the "backbone" between the Europe and the US

an update on this, I definitely have problems with accessing sites on the www, and a colleague has just rung me to say he has problems too

we both use BT internet (in fact we both for work BT - a major Internet transit carrier) but are both working from home on standard BT Internet high speed lines

probably unrelated - but interesting

an update on this, I definitely have problems with accessing sites on the www, and a colleague has just rung me to say he has problems too

we both use BT internet (in fact we both for work BT - a major Internet transit carrier) but are both working from home on standard BT Internet high speed lines

probably unrelated - but interesting
Well, I had no problems with the internet yesterday, both at work and at home. As you and I are in the same geographical location, the cause almost certainly was within your broadband provider (mine is Virgin Media).

yes, better now

yes, I would prob go with VM if I had a choice, but I get "free" BT broadband - and to be fair it is pretty good - 50MB download and 20 upload

and that's in one of the west villages (some people on the out skirts of the village get less that 2MB download)

One more detail. Many times I get a 'partial' loading of the site with stripped-down versions of a page. No graphics and everything is laid out weirdly.

I noticed that topics in the Open Discussion forum do not appear in the "Recent threads" box on the main page. So when a thread is split and moved to the Open Discussion forum, it becomes more difficult to find and access, and some people may think it just disappeared. I recommend that these topics appear in the Recent threads box. On the other hand, threads in the Chitchat forum appear in that box, which I don't think is necessary.

I noticed that topics in the Open Discussion forum do not appear in the "Recent threads" box on the main page. So when a thread is split and moved to the Open Discussion forum, it becomes more difficult to find and access, and some people may think it just disappeared. I recommend that these topics appear in the Recent threads box. On the other hand, threads in the Chitchat forum appear in that box, which I don't think is necessary.
you might have to respond to the thread again. i get open discussion in my recent tabs but if it was moved there, i dont get see it until i respond again. (which is why sometimes i just say something for the hell of it :)

you might have to respond to the thread again. i get open discussion in my recent tabs but if it was moved there, i dont get see it until i respond again. (which is why sometimes i just say something for the hell of it :)
No, I didn't mean the notifications.

I've just got a new Mac and I've noticed that pasting images from the clipboard directly into a post doesn't work. On my old PC I could use the Snipping Tool to take a screen grab and then just hit CTRL-V to paste the image in without uploading.

On the Mac that doesn't work. The equivalent shortcut to take a screen grab is CMD-CTRL-SHIFT-4, which puts the screen grab onto the clipboard (and I can view it on the clipboard), but CMD-V won't paste it into the post. (I'm using Safari in El Capitan.)

Is there a way round this, other than saving the screen grab onto the desktop and then uploading it?

I use Mac, and I use a free tool called Monosnap to grab screen images.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monosnap/id540348655?mt=12

You can just CMD-V the image in, but note it is posted as a .PNG, so can be quite large.

Thanks, I might give that a try. The built-in tool also saves the image as a .PNG on the clipboard, so I don't know why it won't paste. Maybe it's a browser issue?

Edit: or, it just occurred to me, maybe it is a size issue? I think there might be a size limit for pasting directly into the post, as very large images won't paste from my PC either. My new iMac has a 5K screen so those screen grabs will be huge!

First world problems, eh?

Last edited:
Edit: or, it just occurred to me, maybe it is a size issue? I think there might be a size limit for pasting directly into the post, as very large images won't paste from my PC either. My new iMac has a 5K screen so those screen grabs will be huge!

It seems to be a problem specific to Safari (Apple's browser). I use Chrome on the Mac, and can clip and paste huge images just fine. But I just tried it in Safari, and no pasting of images.

An idea, is all.....I'll describe it......

A method to "self-flag" a quote....as meaning or indicating that it "needs further reference" or "requires verification" ?

I realize this is not likely possible......even if available.
For someone posting, it would be used for "uncertainty" or "please verify", or "citation needed".....
The point being, that verification is wanted, and asked-for, voluntarily.

But it could make people very lazy researchers, if they relied on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources

Last edited:
Can you give an example?

Perhaps in this post of mine...I could flag myself where I thought my own statements could use further research
(I highlighted the ideas, in red and blue)

I am thinking the same thing, that we will always come across "beginning" believers.
You'll seen the all over social media.
In a way, it may seem as there's lots of "new believers" (new to your eyes), when it's likely most of them won't take it too seriously after a while as they investigate it further. Or they simply lose interest because chemtrails are a whacky idea, [...], etc.

The more you read social media comments, the more you'll see beginning (curious) believers. I think this can be a deceptive area to judge if the movement is "growing".

...plus that "trolling" is simply too easy these days via anonymous postings. This has grown into a hobby for some...and for kicks, among others.
Is trolling on the rise ?
Content from External Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps in this post of mine...I could flag myself where I thought my own statements could use further research
(I highlighted the ideas, in red and blue)

I am thinking the same thing, that we will always come across "beginning" believers.
You'll seen the all over social media.
In a way, it may seem as there's lots of "new believers" (new to your eyes), when it's likely most of them won't take it too seriously after a while as they investigate it further. Or they simply lose interest because chemtrails are a whacky idea, [...], etc.

The more you read social media comments, the more you'll see beginning (curious) believers. I think this can be a deceptive area to judge if the movement is "growing".

...plus that "trolling" is simply too easy these days via anonymous postings. This has grown into a hobby for some...and for kicks, among others.
Is trolling on the rise ?
Content from External Source
couldnt you just put [citation needed] if you are self flagging? but i agree, it would help make people lazy.. for instance you could have just hyperlinked a reference to trolls, no?

Has anyone tried "blackened" in the forum preferences ?
It's...quite different.
I wonder if I (or anyone) would post differently, on pages of different styles and colors ?
(color psychology)

Is there a way to upload a custom (viewing) preference ? (colors, font, etc.)

Back