"Boomerang" Moon UFO video [Bird]

ki_cz

Usually, these UFO videos that I stumble across are pretty easy to debunk, in terms of telling what the object is. This one is more difficult. The credibility of the videographer is (in my mind) questionable, but I was still hoping that somebody could provide some insight as to what this is, or perhaps determine that it is something added in post. Thank you:

Last edited by a moderator:

solrey

Senior Member.
Usually, these UFO videos that I stumble across are pretty easy to debunk, in terms of telling what the object is. This one is more difficult. The credibility of the videographer is (in my mind) questionable, but I was still hoping that somebody could provide some insight as to what this is, or perhaps determine that it is something added in post. Thank you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel:52be6063-0-29ac-8925-1a11c2d77a&feature=iv&src_vid=qqqYKC6-rm8&v=MXoT50jBctE
That utuber Crrow777 seems to be one of those "I don't understand therefore... conspiracy!" types.

The UFO is probably a satellite, they do transit the moon occasionally. Many satellites maneuver to some extent to maintain orientation of antennas and solar panels plus there are many derelict satellites and other space junk tumbling in near earth orbit. One guy has even made a hobby of spotting satellites transiting the moon.

http://celestrak.com/columns/v03n03/

Some info on the Iridium communication satellites as an example of maneuvering.

http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html

Here's one of several images of the ISS transiting the moon:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Looks exactly like a large bird gliding in front of the moon.

Like this, without the flapping:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a satellite. A satellite would have a fixed orientation. This is a bird, swaying back and forth in the wind.

It even gives a couple of lazy flaps.

Chew

Senior Member.
The supreme irony (idiocy?) is his standard opening scene is a bird silhouette flying in front of the Moon!

ki_cz

Thanks, I've done a lot of observing of the moon and have never seen something like this. I'd assumed that because of the large amount of magnification of the moon that a bird wouldn't be so in focus due to depth of focus issues, but the videos provided by Chew above helped to visualize the issue.

I'm still wondering why it seems to be moving so much slower in the original video as with that much magnification, you'd think a bird wouldn't last in the frame very long.

Thanks!

Chew

Senior Member.
I'm still wondering why it seems to be moving so much slower in the original video as with that much magnification, you'd think a bird wouldn't last in the frame very long.
It depends on how fast the bird is flying and how far it is from the camera.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
You can tell by the size of the bird relative to the moon that it is very far away.

Think of its speed relative to its own size, not to the optical size of the moon, which varies relative to the bird depending on zoom settings. The speed of the bird is in bird lengths per second, which will be the same irrespective of zoom.

Mark Barrington

You can make some rough calculations of the distance of the bird based on the angle of view of the moon and the angle of the bird silhouette. Here's an article on Wikipedia that explains how to calculate it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter

The upshot is for small angles:

δ ≅ d/D

δ is the angle of the object in the sky
≅ is approximate equality
d is the radius of the object perpendicular to the angle of view
D is the distance to the object
(angles are measured in radians)

I did some rough calculations based on eyeballing the size of the shadow relative to to the apparent diameter of the moon and I estimated it to be about 1/120th the angular diameter. I'm probably way off and a much more accurate calculation could be done by counting pixels, but I'm too lazy to do that. The angular diameter of the moon is roughly 1/2 degree or about 0.009 radians. So my very rough estimate of the angular diameter of the bird is .00007

Solving the above for D and assuming we have a relatively large bird which is capable of obscuring about 1/2 meter, we solve the equation and get:

D ≅ .5/.00007 ≅ 6500 meters.

That seems pretty high to me, but I'm not familiar with how high birds fly during migration. I'm probably off in my estimate of the angle, or the bird may be smaller than my assumption. There's also some uncertainty in how closely the actual size of the bird is reflected by the size of the obscured area, since we are close to the resolution limit of the image. But as you can see, the math is pretty simple and could be done by anyone.

Edit: I admit to a high probability of calculating this incorrectly.

Edit again: A little googling seems to indicate that migrating birds do fly about that high on occasion, so maybe I'm not that far off on my calculations.

Edited formulae with unicode characters to make them more readable.

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
actually he clearly flaps his wings when he first enters 'the moon space'. its a hawk or an eagle.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there are lots of reports of birds flying over 8,000m. (26,000 feet)
http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/How_Fast.html

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
It doesn't look organic in the close-up, and it appears to rotate. It seems to have large bodies at its tip.
Could be the pixel distortion?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't look organic in the close-up, and it appears to rotate. It seems to have large bodies at its tip.
I think it's just an illusion as you think of it as being flat, when really it's viewed more from the side and below, and the wings are raised, more like this, particularly about 20 seconds in when the bird is making a lot of movements to correct for wind.

deirdre

Senior Member.
I'm thinking the 'large bodies' are the wing fingers like eagles have. you'd probably rotate a bit too if you were 20 lbs and trying to hang ten on the winds up there! ; ) did you watch it in full screen?

_1SB7674 american bald eagle.jpg

Mark Barrington

Mick's post reminds me that I should correct my calculations for the angle of view. I calculated the distance from the observer to the object, but altitude is the distance from the object to the ground, and the telescope wasn't pointed directly up. I'm guessing the actual angle is somewhere between 30-60 degrees, so the altitude is between .5 and .866 as high as the estimated distance.

Another thing: you can do similar calculations to the size calculations to estimate the speed of the object, and you will see that it's moving at very pedestrian speeds for a bird.

play4keeps

Fabulous website. Many thanks. My uncle who worked for a 3 letter angency always told me, "remember if it is a choice between conspiracy or stupidity, 99% of the time it is the later, however, it's the 1% that scares the living s+++ out of me."

While not being scared s+++++++, this an excellent image of what the secret space theorists have been saying.

Yes, this is a fabulous Schmidt-Cassegrain and it is a fabulous image of a TR-3C or later designation. I do not want to be subjected to critical analysis by using the following phrase, but through "personal connection" and review of the video, the rotation of the craft is consistant with the way the craft flies. There has been lots of theory and conjecture on the craft over the last several years. Diligence is the best thing about ufos and exotic air/spacecraft spotting, but idea that it is a bird or pixel distortion is ridiculous. Take a look at the horizontal image plane. Not a bird.

Bill

Senior Member.
Fabulous website. Many thanks. My uncle who worked for a 3 letter angency always told me, "remember if it is a choice between conspiracy or stupidity, 99% of the time it is the later, however, it's the 1% that scares the living s+++ out of me."

While not being scared s+++++++, this an excellent image of what the secret space theorists have been saying.

Yes, this is a fabulous Schmidt-Cassegrain and it is a fabulous image of a TR-3C or later designation. I do not want to be subjected to critical analysis by using the following phrase, but through "personal connection" and review of the video, the rotation of the craft is consistant with the way the craft flies. There has been lots of theory and conjecture on the craft over the last several years. Diligence is the best thing about ufos and exotic air/spacecraft spotting, but idea that it is a bird or pixel distortion is ridiculous. Take a look at the horizontal image plane. Not a bird.
There is no actual proof the TR-3(X) exist. Just a lot of rumors and speculations.

Mark Barrington

...Take a look at the horizontal image plane. Not a bird.
Actually, the size calculations done earlier in the thread make it pretty implausible that it's any kind of aircraft. If it were 20 meters in length, it would have to be 260 km away, so somewhere between 130 and 200km up (80-120 miles). The speed also turns out to be kind of disappointing for a high performance aircraft, even when you scale it up for the increased distance.

derrick06

So out of curiosity I looked up a TR3 spaceship and got this apparent image... I'm posting it just to prove the point that it certainly isn't that... There isn't even any proof it exists.. But what the heck is this anyways?

Attachments

derrick06

Also on the subject of the video... It's odd because I the first time I looked at it I thought it was a bird only after listening to what the narrater was saying did it seem like it wasn't a bird... I think it's just pixelation with the angle the bird is flying and such...

deirdre

Senior Member.

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
Yep, it's the same spot - tried google earth as well, and that's exactly the same data as maps, though it's obviously been updated since the sighting and the ship's moved on.

Notice that the road is more defined and used in the later image where the windmills are now but is faint in the earlier image - it may have been the construction material for them?

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
Yep, it's the same spot - tried google earth as well, and that's exactly the same data as maps, though it's obviously been updated since the sighting and the ship's moved on.
I found it by moving the little slider button. so it was there in 2004. I was looking for a mileage key but cant find one.
ufo2.JPG

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
Wow cool, didn't realise I could do that, that was easy.

It almost looks like uncleared scrub, maybe in the process of being cleared for cattle (there's cows in the latest image). (or the area was fenced off because there's a tower there.)
And the 'spot lights' are not symmetrical and look like dirt. And there's a shadow.
Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 3.56.28 PM.png

deirdre

Senior Member.

It almost looks like uncleared scrub, maybe in the process of being cleared for cattle (there's cows in the latest image).
And the 'spot lights' are not symmetrical and look like dirt. And there's a shadow.
View attachment 5754
I just realized theres a ruler too like two buttons away, but I cant figure out how to use it ; (. may not be the tr-3c the kid was talking about anyway.

I know this google earth thing is wicked cool.

derrick06

Thanks for the info guys so would you coincided that pic rubbish as well? I figured it was related so I through it in.

deirdre

Senior Member.
Thanks for the info guys so would you coincided that pic rubbish as well? I figured it was related so I through it in.
works for me. although tr-3c guy didn't say the craft was triangular. not sure how a triangle ship would move to look like that bird. maybe the tr-3 ship is more a bommerrang.

Bill

Senior Member.
works for me. although tr-3c guy didn't say the craft was triangular. not sure how a triangle ship would move to look like that bird. maybe the tr-3 ship is more a bommerrang.
The TR-3 is supposed to be triangular and is rumored to be the triangular UFO that has been reported over some cities. Whatever this is in Australia its definitely on the ground and is about 100 meters on a side. The first triangular UFO's I can remember were reported in the early to mid eighties. They turned out to be the B-2 bomber.

pseacraft

It almost looks like uncleared scrub, maybe in the process of being cleared for cattle (there's cows in the latest image). (or the area was fenced off because there's a tower there.)
View attachment 5754

I think you nailed the button on this one Pete, Its a broadcast radio tower. The six dirt spots are the guide wire anchors and you can clearly see the tower's shadow.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Igrokush1 Mass obscure patterns in redding leading to cloudy skies. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 84
J Strange lights on picture of the moon during "Blood Moon" [Stuck Pixels] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
I Moon moving "faster" than clouds Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
Getoffthisplanet [Fake] UFO's Casting Shadows On The Moon - "OVNI sur la Lune , 2020-03-26" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
Nandude Light Fall Off in Apollo Missions - American Moon Documentary Conspiracy Theories 16
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
Staffan Debunked: Wikileaks releases unused footage of moon landing (Capricorn One movie scenes) Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Recording ISS Transits of the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 4
mudr0 Claim: Australia was not visible from the moon for Apollo 11 Broadcasts Conspiracy Theories 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Moon Passing The Meridian Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 0
Rory Debunked: The Lunar Cycle affects birth rates Health and Quackery 26
Rory Debunked: Study shows link between menstrual cycle and the moon Health and Quackery 30
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Multiple UFOs Fly Across Moon- Birds? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Leifer "Mars will be as big as the Moon" no, it won't. Science and Pseudoscience 11
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Rory Dublin Moon and sun in same sky disproves Spherical Earth Flat Earth 16
txt29 Apollo 17: alleged inconsistency of shadows Conspiracy Theories 34
Jared Some proof The Moon is not it's Own Light Source Flat Earth 2
nickrulercreator [Debunked] Apollo 14 Flag Waving Before Ascent? Science and Pseudoscience 21
HoaxEye 6 Giant Towers discovered on the Moon [Digital Artifacts/Glitches] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 33
Mick West Explained: Moon Terminator/Shadow UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Trailblazer Measuring the distance to the moon with laser reflections and the speed of light Flat Earth 5
Abishua The Moon Tilt & Terminator Illusions Flat Earth 54
drhex Explained: Apollo 17 Photo of Earth from Moon Seems too High Conspiracy Theories 16
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Whitebeard Contrail on Moon Disc? Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Explained: Why Clouds Appear Behind the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 58
G Needs debunking: Video of a solar eclipse is fake because we cannot see the moon covering the sun Flat Earth 5
Tony_Sigel Debunked: Chang'e-2 photos of Alien Base on Moon [Hoax] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Josh Heuer Debunked: UFO in NASA live feed [The Moon] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
John X Moon anomalies UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 37
Graham2001 Aulis article uses NASA documents to cast doubt on the reality of Apollo Conspiracy Theories 26
TWCobra Very good question asked by Madison Star Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 27
derrick06 Bunk: SyFy: Aliens on the Moon UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 29
lamentiraestaahifuera.com A pyramid on the Moon UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 59
James Adams Rectangular building type objects on the surface of the moon [Like the Triangle] General Discussion 3
derrick06 Another Google Moon Anomaly General Discussion 1
C What is this on Google Moon? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Grieves Moon Stuff: Stereoscopic examination of Photos Conspiracy Theories 16
Mick West Debunked: Alien Base on the Moon, Triangle of Dots [photo artifact] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 56
Mick West Debunked: China's Moon Rover exhibit showing a nuclear mushroom cloud over Europe. General Discussion 10
Hama Neggs Mike Glynn debates Peter Kusznir with Madisonstar Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 22
TWCobra Debate Challenge from Madisonstar Moon to Mick West West/Wigington Geoengineering Debate 283
Related Articles

Related Articles