Black and Yellow Object with Light Filmed off Camera Screen [Kite?]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

This was posted without a source on Twitter a few days ago, but I think it might be older as it crops up in image searches on Yandex, but the results lead to pages where it's no longer featured. So I think it might just be an old hoax, perhaps with a kite.

2022-09-06_16-33-26.jpg2022-09-06_16-34-14.jpg
The video shows a wider shot where the object seems to be a dot of light in the sky. Curiously the camera is not recording.

2022-09-06_16-31-05.jpg

Here's one of the Yandex links, the sites all appear to be clickbait or worse (attempting to install malware), so I'm not posting links.
Fay0rQ0WYAEUZGn.jpg

Anyone recognize it?

From the comments:

Fernando M

2 weeks ago
Yo soy de Cali. Son comunes las cometas tipo "pájaro", que no son de papel si no de tela, y la gente les pone luces led. Desde finales de Julio y todo el mes de agosto es la época en que en Colombia se elevan.

2 weeks ago
I am from cali. "Bird" type kites are common, which are not made of paper but of fabric, and people put LED lights on them. From the end of July and the entire month of August is the time when they rise in Colombia.
Content from External Source

Last edited:
Yep. A D-C or Delta-Conyne kite, a hybrid between a triangular box kite and a triangular delta kite. Stable fliers, good lifters (so can hoist lights) , and you can stack them by running the string through the hole in the middle.

why does his camera say TV?
Article:
Tv stands for Time-value mode, but is better known as shutter-priority shooting mode. It’s one of the Creative Zone modes.

This mode allows you to set the shutter speed, leaving the camera to choose the aperture needed for correct exposure. ‘Tv’ is used to identify this setting on the mode dial. It is short for ‘time value’ – the length of the exposure.

Shutter-priority is the ideal mode for action photography. You can choose a speed which will ‘freeze’ the movement of the subject, giving a crisp, sharp image.

And to clarify, that one is almost certainly not in a stack, though it is possible there are unlit kites stacked above there is no sign of it. But it is a way to provide more lift, and so passing mention seemed warranted in case objection was later made to the kite lifting the weight of light and battery rig. A D-C in moderate breeze has a good amount of lift anyway, if more were needed a flier could stack them .

Article:
Tv stands for Time-value mode, but is better known as shutter-priority shooting mode. It’s one of the Creative Zone modes.

This mode allows you to set the shutter speed, leaving the camera to choose the aperture needed for correct exposure. ‘Tv’ is used to identify this setting on the mode dial. It is short for ‘time value’ – the length of the exposure.

Shutter-priority is the ideal mode for action photography. You can choose a speed which will ‘freeze’ the movement of the subject, giving a crisp, sharp image.
It's worth pointing out that given no photos or video (we've seen) were taken with the actual camera, this setting is essentially meaningless in terms of the phone recorded video we are seeing from the back of the camera.

Update: Found the actual kite.

kite ufo 2.JPGkite ufo.jpg

It is owned and flown by a FaceBook friend making and flying kites in Colombia. I have not asked if I can share the flier's name, so won't do so. The kite is indeed a Delta-Conyne variation, with what appears to be two cells running longitudinally instead of the usual one with a hole in the middle.

Update: Found the actual kite.

kite ufo 2.JPGkite ufo.jpg

It is owned and flown by a FaceBook friend making and flying kites in Colombia. I have not asked if I can share the flier's name, so won't do so. The kite is indeed a Delta-Conyne variation, with what appears to be two cells running longitudinally instead of the usual one with a hole in the middle.
When you say the actual kite, do you mean the same actual one, or just the same make/model but a different actual kite?

Back