Alien shot dead in 1978 at Fort Dix / McGuire AFB?

J

johne1618

Ft. Dix Alien
Richard Hall:

During the early morning hours of January 18, 1978, UFOs were sighted flying over Fort Dix and McGuire AFB, adjacent military bases. Shortly afterward, an Air Force security patrol was ordered to the back gate of McGuire AFB to allow entry to New Jersey State Police who were searching for something. One of the airmen on duty was Sgt. Jeff Morse (pseudonym). The state trooper told Morse that a Fort Dix MP was pursuing a low-flying object that had hovered over his car; then a small being with large head and slender body appeared in front of his car. The MP had panicked and shot the alien several times with a .45 automatic. The being had fled over the fence between the two bases, before falling and dying on the deserted runway.

Morse and his colleagues found the body lying on a deserted runway. As they followed routine procedure and roped off the area of the "crime scene," other "blue beret" forces unfamiliar to Morse and his companion took over. Morse was relegated to a back-up role, but could see from a slight distance what was happening. Later that day a team from Wright-Patterson AFB arrived in a C-141 cargo aircraft, crated up the body, loaded it on board, and took off. Morse and his companion were warned not to talk about the incident or they would be court-martialled.

Two days later Morse and other participants were taken to Wright- Patterson AFB, OH, where they underwent intimidating interrogation and were again warned not to talk about the incident. (Morse supplied the names of the interrogation team taken from their name badges, and their identities have been verified.) Morse reported; "[They] told me about my duty to keep my mouth shut. . . . I signed a form and it is supposed to bind me for life."

Shortly after returning to McGuire AFB, Morse was debriefed by his commanding officer, a lieutenant colonel (name also known), and heard no more about the incident. Shortly thereafter each of the airmen who had been involved was transferred to a separate overseas base. Morse was shipped to Okinawa.

The author has met with Morse face-to-face several times, talked with him on the telephone numerous times, and considers him completely credible. He has cooperated fully, answering all questions to the best of his ability and agreeing to meet and talk with various colleagues. He has given a formal deposition on the incident in the presence of several witnesses, and was subjected to questioning on specific details.

As a direct consequence of innocently being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Morse has been harassed and threatened, and his reputation defamed to the point that he had difficulty finding employment in the law enforcement field.

Another witness is George Filer (Major, USA, Ret.), who was stationed at McGuire AFB in 1978, serving as an intelligence officer; one of his duties was to brief the commanding general. He was not on duty at the time of the incident, but the next morning he heard talk about the "alien body" and saw a lot of unusual activity He is prepared to testify on what he knows firsthand and what he has learned since about the incident.

Source: Richard H. Hall, Volume II, The UFO Evidence - A Thirty Year Report, pages 97-98

Letter from Sgt. Morse describing incident (retyped):

http://www.nicap.org/reports/fortdixdoc1.htm

Same letter from Sgt. Morse describing incident (original difficult to read):

http://www.nicap.org/docs/fortdix/fortdix1.gif

Leonard Stringfield's MUFON report The Fatal Encounter at Ft. Dix-McGuire:

http://www.nicap.org/reports/fortdixSYM.htm

Further info from NICAP plus original documents:

http://www.nicap.org/780118fortdix_dir.htm

Phillip Klass criticism of case:

https://centerforinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/docs/SUN/SUN73.pdf

George Filer speaking about incident at beginning of video up to 9.52:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0H-Pn8RKKo

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment left on George Filer YouTube video by Tom Rei :
I was on duty that night as the 438th Fuels Branch aircraft refueling supervisor. About 1:30am both the Ft Dix and McGuire installations locked down for what we were told was an attempted burglary at the Base Exchange store, just inside the gate from Ft Dix. The area was cordoned off and one of my drivers was inside the ropes. They took him and everyone else in that area to a hangar. I can attest to the fact that they were questioned by a team of very serious folks and that an aircraft from Wright-Patterson did fly in to pick up the remains, which at the time was said to be the body of the burglar. About 10am they released my driver and I drove out to the hangar to pick him up. While we were leaving one of the army troops called after us saying "..we shot the Michelin man!" I asked my driver what that meant and he just shrugged his shoulders. The incident wasn't discussed much and everything went back-to-business. I thought that flying an aircraft in from Ohio and what the army troop said were a bit strange but on active duty strange things did often occur. It wasn't until years later and after the disclosure that l had to re-think the whole event.

It's very convenient that this supposedly happened 2 months after the very popular Close Encounter of the Third Kind movie was released. Just saying.:p

From the NICAP report:

The Fund-sponsored mini-conference took place on January 24, 1987, at a large shopping mall in the Washington, D.C., area suburbs. In addition to the authors and Morse, Dr. Bruce S. Maccabee (Chairman of the Fund) and William H. Hall (electronics engineer and brother of Richard) were present.
Content from External Source
Participants of the mini-conference discussed ways of obtaining additional confirmation of the reported 1978 event, and various initiatives will be undertaken to do so. Results will be reported periodically.

As a result of the mini-conference, two additional persons (B. Maccabee and W. Hall) now have met and talked with Morse and can confirm that he is not a "fairy tale" or a figment of the imagination. They are also now in a position to help confirm or disconfirm his story.
http://www.nicap.org/reports/fortdixup.htm

There's no date on the post, so I suppose we're still waiting for "results" to be reported.

A years old story from an anonymous witness, but hey besides the UFO book writers believing him, "Morse" also has big time UFologist Dr. Maccabee vouching for him now!

Dr. Bruce Maccabee, who is considered by some UFOlogists to be one of the most rigorous investigators and an expert on authentication of UFO photos, recently admitted he was the victim of photo hoaxers.
Maccabee promptly conceded that the Lawton UFO photos were hoaxes. He offered a lengthy commentary to minimize the impact of the incident:
Maccabee's credibility as a rigorous UFO-photo analyst and case investigator "nose-dived" in the late 1980s when he endorsed ALL of about two-dozen hokey-looking UFO photos taken by ED WALTERS of Gulf Breeze, FL.
enterforinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/docs/SUN/SUN73.pdf

UFOlogists such as Bruce Maccabee believed the photographs were genuine; however, others strongly suspected them to be a hoax. Pensacola News Journal reporter Craig Myers investigated Walters' claims a few years later, criticizing the Sentinel's coverage of the story as "uncritical" and "sensationalist". In 1990, after Walters and his family moved, the new owners of Walters' house discovered a styrofoam model UFO hidden in the attic. Myers was able to duplicate the object in the Walters photographs almost exactly using the model UFO found in the attic. Walters later claimed that the model UFO had been "planted" in the attic.[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Breeze_UFO_incident

So he's got that going for him.

I am curious, this is the 3rd post from you in the last month or so that seem to be just old UFO stories/government cover up of aliens type stuff.

We had the alien sexcapades:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/alien-dna-after-sexual-encounter.12070/#post-259308

Then there was the hidden moon base:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/alien-structure-near-zeeman-crater-on-moon.12087/

Are these for fun or serious? Or maybe serious/fun, as in, some people find these very compelling?

Just wondering ;)

I am curious, this is the 3rd post from you in the last month or so that seem to be just old UFO stories/government cover up of aliens type stuff.
We had the alien sexcapades:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/alien-dna-after-sexual-encounter.12070/#post-259308

Then there was the hidden moon base:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/alien-structure-near-zeeman-crater-on-moon.12087/

Are these for fun or serious? Or maybe serious/fun, as in, some people find these very compelling?

Just wondering ;)
Well I’m new to these UFOs/aliens/abduction/conspiracy stories. I’ve only come across these old cases since the covid pandemic which is amazing really as I am quite old (54) myself. Of course I knew about UFOs, crop circles before but here in the UK I had not been exposed to all this UFO/alien stuff until I started looking for it on the internet and seeing programs on the Blaze TV channel. I find some of the accounts by first hand witnesses impressive so that I would now describe myself as at least an agnostic as to whether the US government/military do have alien bodies and crashed alien spacecraft.

Well I’m new to these UFOs/aliens/abduction/conspiracy stories. I’ve only come across these old cases since the covid pandemic which is amazing really as I am quite old (54) myself.
Easy on the "quite old" stuff, I got 4 more years on you.
I find some of the accounts by first hand witnesses impressive so that I would now describe myself as at least an agnostic as to whether the US government/military do have alien bodies and crashed alien spacecraft.
Ok, I understand. I find that interesting, in that I often see it the opposite. Maybe because I've heard many of them so often, although this one is new to me. Most of these stories like Kecksburg, Rendlesham and most notoriously, Roswell are assemblies of stories added on to over the years until a full Mythology is created.

Or we have cases like the this one you posted. For all of the excitement NICAP or MUFON have for it, in the end, it's one anonymous guy, calling himself Sgt. Morse telling a story. And if we read his original letter, it's not a very good one. Here it is broken down, and pay attention to the trooper:

1. In a January of 1978, I was station at McGuire AFB, N.J.. One evening , during the time frame of 0300 hrs. and O500 hrs., there were a number of UFO sightins in the area over the air field and Ft. DIX Army camp.
Just stated as fact. I would suppose that other people saw these UFOs. Does NICAP have records of a number of sightings?

I am a security policeman and was on routine patrol at the time. N.J. State Police, and Ft. Dix MP's were running code in the direction of Brownsville, N.J.. A state trooper then entered Gate #5 at the rear of the base requesting assistance and permission to enter. I was dispatched and the trooper wanted access to the runway area which led to the very back of the air field and connected with a heavily wooded area which is part of the Dix training area. He informed me that a Ft. Dix MP was pursuing a low flying object which then hovered over his car. He described it as oval shaped, with no details, and glowing with a blueish green color.
So did Morse actually see any UFOs? What we have here is him telling us what he remembered the State Trooper told him about the UFO. It's a little confusing, but I take it as:
MPs from Ft. Dix were chasing some flying object.
At some point the MPs either, left Ft. Dix property and chased the object onto civilian roads arousing the local Troopers that something was up, or they called in Troopers for help.
The object then hovered over someone's car. It's a little unclear, but seems to be the Troopers.
Also note that Morse says they MPs and/or the Trooper(s) were running "code". I assume he means they were running "Code 3", American law enforcement speak for using flashing lights and/or sirens. While flashing red lights were common in the '70s, it's possible they may have had flashing oval blue lights hovering attached to their cars.

His radio transmission was cut off.
Standard UFO encounter troupe. And does it mean the Trooper had been talking with HQ? Would have been standard procedure to report on a chase.

At that time in front of his police car, appeared a thing, about 4 ft. tall, greyish, brown, fat head, long arms, and slender body. The MP panicked and fired five rounds from his .45 Cal into the thing, and one round into the object above.
So the trooper at some point had stopped? I guess that's when the object started to hover, or could it be that it stopped moving because he did? Then he got out of his car? He would have to, if he now shot the critter 5 times and then fired at the object hovering. Trying to draw a .45 while seated in a car and then shoot out the window and then up over the top of the car would be much harder than it looks on TV.

The object then fled straight up and joined with eleven others high in the sky. This we all saw but didn't know the details at the time. Anyway, The ting ran into the woods towards our fenceline and they wanted to look for it. By this time several patrols were involved.
Who's "we" and what did "we" all see? And now we have "several patrols" involved? I assume they saw the shot at UFO join the other 11, bringing the number back to 12, just like the disciples. (It's always good to throw in some numerology or codes, like Morse does here.)

2. We found the body of the thing near the runway. It had apparently climbed the fence and died while running.
He's a tough little critter. Despite being only 4' high and taking 5 nearly point blank rounds from a .45, he managed to climb the chain link fence and, as this is an AFB, I assume the fence is topped with razer or concertina wire. And again it's "we".

It was all of a sudden hush-hush and no one was allowed near the erea. We roped off the area and AF OSI came out and took over. That was the last I saw of it. There was a bad stench coming from it too. Like ammonia smelling but it wasn't constent in the air.
Note that in the version you posted above, the AF OSI guys are replaced with "other "blue beret" forces unfamiliar to Morse ". This not what Morse said, he said AF OSI (Air Force Office of Special Investigation). He's in the Air Force, he knows what the OSI is. But blue beret types hints at United Nations troops and the New World Order and the like. This is the author engaging in Mythmaking, adding a new wrinkle that is more relevant to the time the book was published. Standard practice in UFO stories. (Edit: While I'm well aware that many AF personal wear dark blue berets, my first reaction when reading the post was of light blue UN/NWO style berets and I don't think I'm alone in this. It's a bit of a "heads I win tails you loose" by the author. Say it's NWO stuff in light blue and he just nods along, say it's top secret AF personal in dark blue and he nods along.)

That day, a team from Wright-Patterson AFB came in a C-141 and went to the area. They crated it in a wooden box, sprayed something over it, and then put it into a bigger metal container. They loaded it in the plane and took off. That was it, nothing more said, no report made and we were all told not to have anything to say about it or we would be court martialed.
All above external content is from Sgt. Morse's letter held by NICAP.

It seems everybody and their brother knew where this dead critter was taken. And why take it to Wright-Patterson AFB and not Area 51? Isn't that where all the crashed saucers and alien bodies are? Because Area 51 wasn't a thing in the early '80s. Wright-Patterson supposedly housed Hanger 18, where the Roswell wreckage was kept, so it's more in keeping with the mythos of the time.

Finally, after hearing this story what does the author, and as noted above in post #4, everybody ells do? They keep talking to Morse.

The author has met with Morse face-to-face several times, talked with him on the telephone numerous times, and considers him completely credible.
Original post above.

The go around confirming that certain people were on base like Morse said. If he were on base at the time, it would make sense he knew who was in command.

What they never seem to do is find any of the other "we"s. According to Morse, it sounded like all kinds of people saw this event, yet all we have is Morse's account. We have a MUFON guy years later saying "I heard about it the next day" and an anonymous YouTube commenter saying, 40 years later, oh yeah, I remember some weird stuff and a plane from Wright-Patterson showing up. He remembered a specific plane from Wright-Patterson on that day after 40 years? And oh yeah, the MP's were bragging about shooting something. Very hush-hush indeed. And even that doesn't jive with Morse's story, because it isn't the MPs that shot the little fella, it was the Trooper.

Nobody ever talks about the Trooper! He's a civilian and not subject to military orders or NDAs.
He saw and described the UFOs to Morse!
He filled Morse in on what was happening!
He actually shot the alien!!!
And after nearly 40 years, not a word about the guy.

Because it never happened. It's a convoluted and poorly told story that relied on the UFO mythos of the time. A mythos that the author in the OP was already altering to make it fit the Mythos of time the book was published.
But that's just my take.;)

Last edited:
NorCal Dave said:

And even that doesn't jive with Morse's story, because it isn't the MPs that shot the little fella, it was the Trooper.

In Morse’s letter, paragraph 1, he clearly states that it was the Fort Dix MP that shot the alien:

He (the state trooper) informed me (Morse) that a Ft. Dix MP was pursuing a low flying object which then hovered over his car. He described it as oval shaped, with no details, and glowing with a blueish green color. His radio transmission was cut off. At that time in front of his police car, appeared a thing, about 4 ft. tall, greyish, brown, fat head, long arms, and slender body. The MP panicked and fired five rounds from his .45 Cal into the thing, and one round into the object above.

other "blue beret" forces unfamiliar to Morse and his companion took over.
From here i want to remark this story as a populair conspiracy theory. Why ? There Are many Conspiracy stories about the UN ( and i presume its the UN because international UN soldiers wear blue berets / helmets ).
This small detail about blue berets wouldnt make sence in any way in any UFO story.
UN soldiers are peacekeepers in countries with conflicts ( Africa Libanon teh Balkans etc. ) and are a part of international peace keeping operations.
UN countries deliver militairy personel from their own militairy branches. Most soldiers are infantery or cavalery units sometimes Special Operations but almost all of them are for humanitarian missions .

Why on earth would the USA have international peacekeeping soldiers stationed inside their country ? Let alone some simple ordinary low rank infantery soldier all the way from any country of the world to handle an Close Encounter ?

Just doesnt make any sence.

I presume he ment UN soldiers.

Why on earth would the USA have international peacekeeping soldiers stationed inside their country ? Let alone some simple ordinary low rank infantery soldier all the way from any country of the world to handle an Close Encounter ?

Again, I'm speculating here and going with what I first thought when I read "blue beret forces unfamiliar to Morse". Morse is in the AF and doesn't know who these guys are? They must not be wearing dark blue berets like AF personal do.

As we saw, Morse did know who they were, or should we say, he knew who to put into his story to make it sound accurate. The AF OSI, which in the early '80s with the rebirth of The Roswell Incident and talk of Hanger 18 and a coverup by military intelligence agencies, made sense. The military is covering it up.

Flash forward to the late '90s when this 700 page tomb is being assembled and The New World Order is a big deal. (Bold by me)

...that the convergence of New World Order conspiracy theory and UFO conspiracy theory is a product of not only the era's widespread mistrust of governments and the popularity of the extraterrestrial hypothesis for UFOs but of the far right and ufologists joining forces.
American right-wing populist conspiracy theorists, especially those who joined the militia movement in the United States, speculate that the New World Order will be implemented through a dramatic coup d'état by a "secret team", using black helicopters, in the U.S. and other nation-states to bring about a totalitarian world government controlled by the United Nations and enforced by troops of foreign U.N. peacekeepers. Following the Rex 84 and Operation Garden Plot plans, this military coup would involve the suspension of the Constitution, the imposition of martial law, and the appointment of military commanders to head state and local governments and to detain dissidents.[73]
.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(conspiracy_theory)

There were/are those in the right wing/UFO culture that believed UN peacekeepers would in fact be in the US to enforce the New World Order. I see the AF OSI being referred to, or maybe even changed to "blue berets forces" as a bit of a dog whistle. It could mean AF guys, but plenty of people would have read it as UN. It was my first reaction, which was reinforced when I saw that Morse originally said the were AF OSI. And I'm NOT a NWO conspiracy guy.

From here i want to remark this story as a populair conspiracy theory. Why ? There Are many Conspiracy stories about the UN ( and i presume its the UN because international UN soldiers wear blue berets / helmets ).
This small detail about blue berets wouldnt make sence in any way in any UFO story.
UN soldiers are peacekeepers in countries with conflicts ( Africa Libanon teh Balkans etc. ) and are a part of international peace keeping operations.
UN countries deliver militairy personel from their own militairy branches. Most soldiers are infantery or cavalery units sometimes Special Operations but almost all of them are for humanitarian missions .

Morse and his Air Force police partner Larimer were both wearing blue berets themselves. They weren’t UN soldiers.

From “Running code : The night the alien died” by Richard Hall
http://www.nicap.org/reports/runningcode_hall.htm

Although he (Morse) often worked alone, on this night he had a partner from the security police side, Mark Larimer. Morse, whose assignment was general law enforcement, was showing him the ropes about that side of Air Force police work, which was similar to civilian police work but included base security work as well.

The law enforcement and security police wore identical uniforms and insignia. Both were "Blue Berets," Air Force police with formal schooling. They had SECRET clearances and were authorized to carry arms and to make arrests. Their boss, the commander of the security police squadron, was the Air Force equivalent of an Army provost marshal: "chief cop." The main responsibility of the security police was to guard airplanes and nuclear weapons against possible foreign agents or saboteurs.

The “recovery team” looked at first sight like Air Force security police to Morse so presumably they were wearing blue berets like him and his partner Larimer. However he recognized that they were not normal police or AF OSI personnel as they were heavily armed with M-16 rifles.

Within 30 minutes of their finding the body, Morse saw a group of about a dozen security police that he first took to be law enforcement "augmentees" arrive in a step van and take charge of the investigation, but that didn't make any sense. The new arrivals did not look or act like augmentees at all, whose normal role would be to back up the regulars. They would have arrived one by one, not in an organized group, and would have been assigned to the perimeter while the regulars conducted the investigation. Furthermore, they were armed with M-16 rifles and grenade launchers. They weren't the recognizable professional investigators of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI) either.

Although the armament of the newly arrived security police might not have been unusual if the senior officers thought some kind of serious base incursion was threatened, heavy weapons were kept in an armory and would not have been readily accessible on such short notice. Morse was armed only with a .38 revolver. On the radio he heard the special group referred to as the "recovery team." He had never encountered them before.

The recovery team were also senior enlisted men but with nothing on their uniform to identify them.

Manning his ECP some distance away, Morse watched as senior officers and emergency personnel arrived on the scene and the recovery team went through a seemingly well-rehearsed procedure. Morse also noticed that they were all senior enlisted men, wearing the chevrons of rank but no patches or insignia that would identify their unit.

What they never seem to do is find any of the other "we"s. According to Morse, it sounded like all kinds of people saw this event, yet all we have is Morse's account.

In 1983 Morse provided Leonard Stringfield with the 1569 Incident/Complaint Report that gave the real names of the McGuire Air Force policemen “Jeff Morse”, “Mark Larimer” and the Fort Dix MP who shot the alien.

1569 Incident/Complaint Report
http://www.nicap.org/docs/fortdix/fortdix2.jpg
http://www.nicap.org/docs/fortdix/fortdix3.jpg

I don’t know why the researchers Leonard Stringfield and Richard Hall didn’t pursue the Fort Dix MP or “Mark Larimer”. I guess they just couldn’t trace them or they wouldn’t cooperate.

However they did have Morse, a man they determined to be of good character, who claimed to be a first-hand witness of the dead alien, lying on a concrete runway, sighted through his police car’s windshield at a distance of 50 feet.

All of a sudden the two vehicles abruptly braked to a stop, as their headlights revealed a motionless figure lying prone on the cold concrete in the middle of the inactive runway, about 50 feet directly in front of them. There was no sign of how it got over or through the fence. They sat awestruck for a few seconds, then Morse grabbed his microphone and quickly informed the desk sergeant about their discovery.

"What does it look like?," Sgt. Cleninger asked. "It's about 4 feet in length, grayish brown in color, with a fat head and long arms," Morse replied, struggling to come to grips with what he was looking at.

Morse and the trooper got out of their vehicles and were about to approach the body, noticing a pungent, ammonia-like stench in the air. As the trooper and the two security police stood side by side gaping at the body, they asked each other simultaneously, "What the hell is that thing?"

By now it was obvious to Morse that Cleninger, back at security police headquarters, was taking instructions from higher authorities and passing their orders on to him. Before they had ventured much closer to the body, he was instructed to escort the New Jersey state policeman off the base and to set up an entry control point (ECP).

Morse and his Air Force police partner Larimer were both wearing blue berets themselves. They weren’t UN soldiers.

From “Running code : The night the alien died” by Richard Hall
Nor was I suggesting that they were, merely that Morse's original statement identified the people that showed up and took over as AF OSI personal. Hall, at least in the version you posted in #1, called them instead "...other "blue beret" forces unfamiliar to Morse and his companion..." and that some people, at the time the book was published, MAY read it as code speak for UN
The “recovery team” looked at first sight like Air Force security police to Morse so presumably they were wearing blue berets like him and his partner Larimer. However he recognized that they were not normal police or AF OSI personnel as they were heavily armed with M-16 rifles.
The recovery team were also senior enlisted men but with nothing on their uniform to identify them.
Now we're getting into it. What's interesting, is we can trace the myth building of this particular case, with things like the AF OSI guys being a good example.

We have Morse's original letter that gets the case going. Then we have “Running code : The night the alien died” by Richard Hall. Gotta love that title! This is like a super short novella version of the story and doesn't seem to have a date for it. Finally we have Volume II, The UFO Evidence - A Thirty Year Report, also by Richard Hall from 2001.

So let's start with our blue beret/AF OSI guys:
Morse
It was all of a sudden hush-hush and no one was allowed near the erea. We roped off the area and AF OSI came out and took over. That was the last I saw of it.
Hall in Running Code:
Furthermore, they were armed with M-16 rifles and grenade launchers. They weren't the recognizable professional investigators of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI) either.
Hall in Volume II, The UFO Evidence - A Thirty Year Report
As they followed routine procedure and roped off the area of the "crime scene," other "blue beret" forces unfamiliar to Morse and his companion took over.
So they went from OSI guys, to unrecognizable as OSI to a more vauge, blue beret wearing but unfamiliar forces.
Then there is the MPs and the trooper:
Morse:
N.J. State Police, and Ft. Dix MP's were running code in the direction of Brownsville, N.J.
Hall in Running Code:
Following the state police car was a Fort Dix military police patrol, also running "Code 3," lights and sirens. Morse thought this was rather unusual since the Fort Dix MPs ordinarily never left their areas. He speculated that they must have taken a break at the nearby 7-11 store or Ernie's pizza parlor just outside of Gate #1.
Shortly afterward, an Air Force security patrol was ordered to the back gate of McGuire AFB to allow entry to New Jersey State Police who were searching for something.
So obviously more embellished in round 2 and Hall was smart, for round 3, to drop the part about Morse speculating that the Code 3 involved a BigGulp run to 7-11.

Now the part that I screwed up on, about who shot the alien and who told Morse:

Morse: (bold by me)
A state trooper then entered Gate #5 at the rear of the base requesting assistance and permission to enter.

He informed me that a Ft. Dix MP was pursuing a low flying object which then hovered over his car. He described it as oval shaped, with no details, and glowing with a blueish green color. His radio transmission was cut off. At that time in front of his police car, appeared a thing, about 4 ft. tall, greyish, brown, fat head, long arms, and slender body. The MP panicked and fired five rounds from his .45 Cal into the thing, and one round into the object above. The object then fled straight up and joined with eleven others high in the sky.
Hall in Running Code:
Arriving at the gate, Morse allowed the state trooper to enter the base, asked him the nature of his mission. The officer replied that he and the Army MP patrol had been chasing an unidentified low-flying object that, whatever it was, was headed in the direction of the southeast fence line. The MP had radioed a description to his base: an oval object giving off a bluish green glow. A sense of urgency and near panic set in when the transmission from the MP was abruptly cut off. They didn't know exactly where he was or what was going on.

Sgt. Cleninger, meanwhile, informed Morse by radio that he was now in contact with the Fort Dix dispatcher by telephone. He instructed Morse to call him on the phone at the gate so he could relay what he had just been told. Over the telephone line, Cleninger told Morse that radio contact had been regained with the Army MP, and it was learned that he had had a close encounter with the unidentified object, and apparently with one of its occupants as well.

The MP said that the object was hovering very close to his vehicle, and that out of nowhere a "thing" (in his words), a being of some sort, had suddenly appeared directly in front of his vehicle. It was about four feet tall, grayish brown in color, with a proportionally large head, long arms, and a slender body. Badly frightened, the MP had panicked and fired five rounds from his .45 caliber pistol into the creature, and one upwards into the object hovering above him.
The state trooper told Morse that a Fort Dix MP was pursuing a low-flying object that had hovered over his car; then a small being with large head and slender body appeared in front of his car. The MP had panicked and shot the alien several times with a .45 automatic. The being had fled over the fence between the two bases, before falling and dying on the deserted runway.
So which is it? Did the trooper tell him or did Cleninger?

Hall in Running Code:
The air police on the scene were debriefed, sworn to secrecy, and shortly afterwards shipped to various bases around the world. Morse was transferred to Guam.
Shortly thereafter each of the airmen who had been involved was transferred to a separate overseas base. Morse was shipped to Okinawa.
So which is it? I know they're near each other and maybe there was some confusion, but your making the claim that an alien was shot and then died on an AFB and the body was taking away. Get your details straight.

Morse:http://www.nicap.org/reports/fortdixdoc1.htm
Hall: http://www.nicap.org/reports/runningcode_hall.htm
Hall: Volume II, The UFO Evidence - A Thirty Year Report, pages 97-98
I don’t know why the researchers Leonard Stringfield and Richard Hall didn’t pursue the Fort Dix MP or “Mark Larimer”. I guess they just couldn’t trace them or they wouldn’t cooperate.

However they did have Morse who claimed to be a first-hand witness of the dead alien sighted through his police car’s windshield at a distance of 50 feet.
Hall claimed that somebody talked to a few officers from the base:
The fact that several of the officers involved have denied to other investigators having any knowledge of the incident is not surprising at all under the circumstances. I have long since come to the conclusion that this case is so important and held in such complete secercy that it will take a thorough Congressional investigation to pry loose the full story.

My guess would be that if they talked to anyone and that person didn't back up Morse's story, they're not going to mention them. They are looking for conformation only.

And just to finish up, though buried in the overly verbose writing of Leonard Stringfield, the guy that first contacted Morse, I found The Men In Black, or at lest one of them:

Then, by letter, December 31, 1984, Morse wrote, "I was approached by a person, wearing a black suit, in my parking lot who mentioned things may go my way if I deny this incident. I just received notice by registered mail that the Department of Justice has decided to make me eligible for hire. I feel these two things are related."

NorCal Dave you’re right there are inconsistencies in the story between Morse’s original letter and Richard Hall’s two accounts. I’m not sure this is due to deliberate myth making though. Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence.

But I still think there’s enough circumstantial evidence to support a believer in his belief that an alien was killed at McGuire AFB in 1978. However there’s not enough evidence to make a disbeliever change his mind.

I guess I tend towards belief because I am impressed by the testimony of the firsthand witness “Jeff Morse” and the subsequent testimony of George Filer. I am prepared to overlook inconsistencies between Morse’s letter and some reports by the researchers as I trust the witnesses.

Comment left on George Filer YouTube video by Tom Rei :

I was on duty that night as the 438th Fuels Branch aircraft refueling supervisor. About 1:30am both the Ft Dix and McGuire installations locked down for what we were told was an attempted burglary at the Base Exchange store, just inside the gate from Ft Dix. The area was cordoned off and one of my drivers was inside the ropes. They took him and everyone else in that area to a hangar. I can attest to the fact that they were questioned by a team of very serious folks and that an aircraft from Wright-Patterson did fly in to pick up the remains, which at the time was said to be the body of the burglar. About 10am they released my driver and I drove out to the hangar to pick him up. While we were leaving one of the army troops called after us saying "..we shot the Michelin man!"
My personal guess is that a burglar wore a thickly padded suit to get over the barbed/razor wire fence (assuming the base had one), which gave him the appearance of the tire brand mascot, and served to obscure his body proportions from a distance. The appearance of the "skin" would simply be the material of the suit.
EvolutieBibendum-1.jpg

I guess I tend towards belief because I am impressed by the testimony of the firsthand witness “Jeff Morse” and the subsequent testimony of George Filer. I am prepared to overlook inconsistencies between Morse’s letter and some reports by the researchers as I trust the witnesses.
This is interesting, and I'm just having a fun and sincere discussion with you about this case. Yes, I go the skeptical way on this because I am not impressed with Sgt. "Morse's" testimony.

1. He was and is anonymous.
2. Aside from the original letter he sent, assuming he really sent it, everything ells we know about him comes from, is channeled through and interpreted by Stringfield and Hall. Two people that want us to find him trustworthy.
3. The story doesn't work as told, regardless of which version we're reading.

Here's a couple of examples that touch on both points 2 and 3:

1. The AF OSI/retrieval team.

Morse from original letter:
It was all of a sudden hush-hush and no one was allowed near the erea. We roped off the area and AF OSI came out and took over. That was the last I saw of it.
w.nicap.org/reports/fortdixdoc1.htm

Morse through Springdale, from
THE FATAL ENCOUNTER AT FT. DIX-McGUIRE:
A CASE STUDY; Status Report IV

Taking command was a new and unfamiliar team of Blue Berets that suddenly descended onto the scene, just moments after the runway had been cordoned off. With speed and efficiency "they took over" he said, "and when asked who they were we were told nothing and ordered to stay outside the ropes." Perplexed by this covert action, he noted that all of them were staff sergeants and up, wearing fatigues without patches or insignia. And for headgear, he said, "they wore blue berets just like mine."

In one letter Morse vaguely speculated they were "undercover cops" and, by phone, he said he felt certain "they" were stationed somewhere at McGuire to account for their quick deployment to the runway. In support of this, when asked if helicopters were seen or heard overhead or landed on or near the scene, his reply was negative. This, it seems, would rule out any notion that they had been trans-

ported from an outside base.

As in my previous post, we can play which is it? But more to the point here, the different version is said to come from Morse who continued to mail letters and have phone conversations with Springdale and maybe Hall. So again, most of what we know of Morse is through Springdale and Hall, and it often differs from what Morse originally claimed. Besides story elements being filtered through these two guys, if Springdale's version of Morse's version of the retrieval team is accurate, it makes the story very suspect.

Either, most AFBs have super secret alien retrieval teams assigned to them or the team was already on site as Morse speculated. If that's the case, they had pre-knowledge that an alien might meet it's demise at MAFB. But if that's true wouldn't they be running the whole operation? If there is a super secret alien recovery team on base and on stand-by, why would they have allowed Sgt. from AF law enforcement, not only near the site, but let him go over to Gate 5 and invite in a State Trooper so he can get a peek?

Conversely, if the Morse and the Trooper and everybody ells didn't know it was an alien until they saw the body where did the recovery guys come from so fast?

Even if we go with Morse's original telling, where the trooper relays what was happening:
He informed me that a Ft. Dix MP was pursuing a low flying object which then hovered over his car.

Anyway, The ting ran into the woods towards our fenceline and they wanted to look for it. By this time several patrols were involved.

He doesn't give a good time line, something one would think is important in an extraordinary case like this. Even so, it's doesn't seem like more than 20-30 minutes, maybe an hour on the outside, has passed from the chase and shooting to finding the body. And soon after finding the body either AF OSI or a super secret recovery team is on scene.

In the same vain as the recovery team, is the flight to Wright-Patterson with the body. There is no secrecy about it at all. If the government is collection alien bodies and taking them somewhere, wouldn't that be kept on the down low? Does Sgt. Morse, a base police officer, really need to be in the loop about where the body is going? Wouldn't that all be highly classified? Not in this case, Sgt. Morse and everybody ells seems to know that the C141 arrived from Wright-Patterson and was returning to Wright-Patterson.

Morse from original letter:
That day, a team from Wright-Patterson AFB came in a C-141 and went to the area. They crated it in a wooden box, sprayed something over it, and then put it into a bigger metal container.
www.nicap.org/reports/fortdixdoc1.htm

Morse as told to Springdale in
THE FATAL ENCOUNTER AT FT. DIX-McGUIRE:
A CASE STUDY; Status Report IV:

Before going off duty, Morse and others watched the silver box fork-lifted into a C-141 which arrived about 7 a.m. from Wright-Patterson AFB (identified by special markings) and, later, at a distance he said he watched the plane and its secret cargo soar aloft into limbo, presumed destination, Dayton, Ohio.
nicap.org/reports/fortdixSYM.htm

When it said (identified by special markings) my first thought was of little alien bodies stamped on the nose of the plane, one for each pick-up and delivery. I assume it means that the plane had marking identifying that is was assigned to group that was based at W-P. The Air Force operates planes all over the world, regardless of where their home base is, so just because the plane was based at W-P, that doesn't mean it came from there or is heading there.

But then, of course it's going to Wright-Patterson, that's where Project Blue Book had been HQed and because, as I mentioned earlier, that's where Hanger 18 was thought to be and in the early '80s that's like saying Area 51 today.

Even after Project Blue Book wrapped up in 1969, rumors continued to swirl around Wright-Patt. In 1974, a Florida UFOlogist named Robert Spencer Carr publicly claimed that the Air Force was hiding “two flying saucers of unknown origin” inside Wright-Patterson’s Hangar 18, according to a report in the Tampa Tribune. Carr claimed to have a high-ranking military source, who saw the bodies of 12 alien beings while autopsies were being performed on them. Though Carr’s claims were dubious, widespread media coverage of them, as well as the release of the 1980 movie Hangar 18, helped cement the legend of Wright-Patt as a hotbed of the government’s UFO-related activities.
https://www.history.com/news/hangar-18-ufos-aliens-wright-patterson

It's not that AF security broke down and let leak that they were taking the body to W-P AFB and it's not that Morse was cleared to know where the body was being taken. It's that whoever is telling the story knows that people will believe, in the early '80s, that alien bodies were routinely taken to W-P. It's part of the mythos.

Back