Where did UFO reports go between 1969 and 2007?

As I understand it (and I am more than willing to be corrected), the USAF carried out three partially public-facing and (perhaps) largely-since-declassified studies of the UFO phenomenon:

1. Project Sign (1948)

2. Project Grudge (1948 to 1952)

3. Project Blue Book (1952 to 1969)

In addition, there were also several panels and collatory investigations during those years such as Robertson, Condon, Battelle Institute, etc.

There are, however, apparently conspicuous omissions in the record, e.g. the publicly unavailable "Estimate of the Situation" drafted by Project Sign and referred to by Ruppelt (1956) and Hynek (1972). By far the most glaring issue, though, (from the pro-UFO-cover-up PoV) is the fact that on October 20, 1969, USAF Brigadier General Carroll Bolender, while reviewing Project Blue Book, a matter with which he had no previous connection, stated:

“Reports of UFOs which could affect national security are made in accordance with JANAP 146 and Air Force Manual 55-11 and are not part of the Blue Book System.” ...I spoke with Bolender and it was clear that he understood the distinction between civilian reports and ones which could affect national security. Clearly the sightings of most interest are the ones that could affect national security. Blue Book wasn’t even on the distribution list for sightings reported under JANAP 146 or AF Manual 55-11. [https://stantonfriedman.com/index.php?ptp=articles&fdt=2005.05.15]

Questions

1. To anyone's knowledge, has anyone ever confirmed the leak of a case, a photo, a file or, indeed, any piece of evidence related to a UFO report filed under JANAP 146 and/or Air Force Manual 55-11?

2. To anyone's knowledge, what US UFO-related projects, military or civilian, were run between 1969 and 2007 (the start of AATIP)?

3. I have read that new UFO reporting rules for airmen will be/have been recently introduced, but I haven't found a code similar to JANAP 146 and/or Air Force Manual 55-11? Can anyone enlighten me as to what the new ones are labelled as, please?

Thanks

I don't have any specific answers for you but this is a topic I'm highly interested in. With the current ongoing UFO flap the government seems to be attempting to retcon the whole subject. Basically, the narrative being pushed is that the sightings started around 2004 and have continued to today. At this point we have a slew of officials, including ex-presidents, commenting on the subject yet no one has broached the subject of historic sightings. The two most curious bits of this whole saga, for me, have been:
  1. The total and complete absence of comment from the Air Force. USAF is tasked with the security of American airspace. We have the Navy going on and on about spooky aircraft that can't be identified but the Air Force is totally silent on the matter. It makes no sense.
  2. The total and complete absence of comment on UFO sightings prior to 2004. We're being led to believe "something" is going on now but we're also supposed to believe Blue Book, Grudge, etc. were done in good faith and found nothing of note. It makes no sense.

With the current ongoing UFO flap the government seems to be attempting to retcon the whole subject.
I had to look retcon up, but, yes, I agree :)

The total and complete absence of comment from the Air Force. USAF is tasked with the security of American airspace. We have the Navy going on and on about spooky aircraft that can't be identified but the Air Force is totally silent on the matter. It makes no sense.
As I understand it, the Office of Naval Intelligence has a much longer lineage and pedigree to anything the USAF can offer. I could only speculate - fruitlessly - as to why there's radio silence from one but not the other. As one would expect, and as the 1969 Bolender memo itself says: 'For more than twenty years the Air Force has had the responsibility within the Department of Defense for the investigation of unidentified flying objects (UFOs).'

The total and complete absence of comment on UFO sightings prior to 2004. We're being led to believe "something" is going on now but we're also supposed to believe Blue Book, Grudge, etc. were done in good faith and found nothing of note. It makes no sense.
I feel there's quite a lot of evidence that Blue Book, Condon, etc., were not run in good faith, i.e. prejudged conclusions, lack of resources, determined to put a lid on the matter, etc.

Some researcher in the past must, presumably, have challenged the secrecy regarding JANAP 146 and/or Air Force Manual 55-11. Even a summary of some kind would be potentially useful, e.g. The USAF admits that n UFO reports were filed by military personnel under JANAP 146/AFM 55-11 in June 1953, n in July 1953, etc.

I will keep investigating.

Last edited:
Back