Speculation about the reason low quality UFO footage is being released

jackfrostvc

Adding to my previous post, if Intelligence/Counter Intelligence decide they don't want pics/ videos and IR of the drones released to the media for whatever reason, they will ensure they dont go out to the media. So what's left in that case?

Well, all pics, videos and IR data that were collected during the event that don't show the drones - IMO probably a small subset of pics/video/IR that was collected. The garbage pics/video/IR if you like, that was collected during the event timeframe. And that's what they would not hold back from release .

Last edited:
Adding to my previous post, if Intelligence/Counter Intelligence decide they don't want pics/ videos and IR of the drones released to the media for whatever reason, they will ensure they dont go out to the media. So what's left in that case?

Well, all pics, videos and IR data that were collected during the event that don't show the drones - IMO probably a small subset of pics/video/IR that was collected. The garbage pics/video/IR if you like, that was collected during the event timeframe. And that's what they would not hold back from release .

Seems plausible. But doesn't really account for the UAPTF's incompetence in calling a star a star in some of the garbage footage. But hey, if a garbage fringe agency of the DoD is assigned the task of assessing garbage footage, it would be a match made in heaven. And the incompetence would therefore be self-explanatory.

But hey, if a garbage fringe agency of the DoD is assigned the task of assessing garbage footage, it would be a match made in heaven. And the incompetence would therefore be self-explanatory.
Don't know at all about UAPTF, but I'm working on a post about AASWAP/AATIP based on the book written by Lataski, who conceived of and ran AASWAP/AATIP. Either Lataski is/was a counter-intel guy along with Elizondo as, I believe jackfrostvc has speculated on before, or the guy in charge of researching UAPs for the DoD's Defense Intelligence Agency circa 2010 totally believes in ETs, alien cattle mutilations, poltergeist and 7' tall were-wolves among other things. By his own admission. And he was in charge.

Maybe the somebody at UAPTF really beileves that there are lots of Chinese drone encounters going on out there. Rightly or wrongly. The whole USS Kidd encounter always had a "Battle of Los Angeles" feel about it. Maybe the investigation did too?

Don't know at all about UAPTF, but I'm working on a post about AASWAP/AATIP based on the book written by Lataski, who conceived of and ran AASWAP/AATIP. Either Lataski is/was a counter-intel guy along with Elizondo as, I believe jackfrostvc has speculated on before, or the guy in charge of researching UAPs for the DoD's Defense Intelligence Agency circa 2010 totally believes in ETs, alien cattle mutilations, poltergeist and 7' tall were-wolves among other things. By his own admission. And he was in charge.

Maybe the somebody at UAPTF really beileves that there are lots of Chinese drone encounters going on out there. Rightly or wrongly. The whole USS Kidd encounter always had a "Battle of Los Angeles" feel about it. Maybe the investigation did too?

I guess youd have to look into Lacatski further to confirm, but I know he was billed by Coast 2 Coast when they interviewed him as per below:
Also, John Stratton who Lue supposedly worked with at AATIP has also a very interesting background. See below also

1655690942046.png

1655690702185.png

Both James Lacatski and Luis Elizondo are believers while current/former DoD insiders.

I find it highly likely that during Lacatski’s as well as Elizondo’s time at the AASWAP/AATIP/UAPTF both would have used personal contacts with other believers or otherwise useful individuals serving at lower ranks within the DoD to bypass official chains. This would have enabled them to gain access to some of the data directly (e.g. the USS Omaha footage on UAV swarms) and to leak them to the public. Lou for one doesn't come across as 'follow the red tape' type of guy. Since some of the footage may feature classified US tech, obtaining them outside official chains and leaking them to the public constitutes a national security risk. Not necessarily the low-information footage as much as the reckless way it's been obtained and leaked. This may well be one of the reasons he was ultimately forced to 'resign' and why the DoD has been forced to respond to the demands of the public/the Congress to account for the grainy contents of the leaked videos. Without Lou's leaks there would be none of these hearings, there would be no need for a successor entity to the UAPTF (ie. the AOIMSG), no public UAPTF reports and congressional charades.

It doesn’t seem as if DoD departments are legally required to produce material for the UAPTF/AOIMSG at the latter's request. With more established and legally mandated oversight functions within government departments such as inspectors-general, internal audit units and internal affairs entities, every government unit and staff-member is bound to cooperate or else face legal consequences.

Bear with me with the following more thorough background story on AASWAP/AATIP/UAPTF/AOIMSG which compiles and summarizes information gathered over the years on Metabunk boards. Pardon me if there’s also some regurgitation of what I’ve shared earlier on this or other threads.

Once upon a time. . .

. . . more specifically in 2007, three men with a shared interest in UFOs and the esoteric -- billionaire Robert Bigelow (from Nevada), his old friend Senator Harry Reid (also from Nevada), and James Lacatski from the Defense Intelligence Agency -- met to discuss their shared object of fascination. Later that year Lacatski visited Bigelow's Skinwalker Ranch where he "saw" a ghost from an observation trailer.

With Reid's help they lobbied congressional funding (USD 22 million) for their own brainchild, a contracted entity for UFO investigations, to exist loosely under the DoD, and which came to be later known as the AATIP. The 22 million AATIP contract was awarded to Bigelow's Aerospace Advanced Space Studies (BAASS), the sole applicant. Initially the entity was much more focused on the esoteric until Luis Elizondo, another DoD insider, was picked by Reid to take Lacatski's place. Elizondo's primary focus was to collect and analyze data on UAP.

There is no evidence indicating that any significant chunks of the defense budget was ever appropriated to a centralized UAP identification agency. The tiny appropriations disbursed for the AATIP, due to political influence pushed and headed by UFO enthusiasts, tells the opposite story. A separate UAP entity simply hasn't been a high national security priority from purely DoD perspective at the top command level. Otherwise they would have pushed for more appropriations.

The above context is important since it illustrates that the AATIP (and its direct successor entities) owes its existence to lobbying by UFO enthusiasts rather than DoD’s official national security priorities.

From the perspective of DoD core functions, the creation and operation of the AATIP (and its successor entities) is a fringe exercise in compliance with congressional assignment and prompted by the merging of several political agendas within the Congress.

These agendas include a genuine interest in alien technology (e.g. Reid/Bigelow/Lacatski/Mellon and later Elizondo), concern for rival nation military capabilities (e.g. Rubio), as well as winning over an alien-believing demographic of voters in the name of public interest (congressmen across the aisle).

DoD is unlikely to express objections if such a fringe entity secures funding from outside its core budget, concerns itself with mostly unclassified data, and strengthens Pentagon's public relations with the Congress and the general public.

However, the DoD core organization is characteristically hesitant to share classified information with its contracted entities, especially with the likes of AATIP/UAPTF which are perceived fringe, political and ideological. After the resignation of Luis Elizondo in 2017, he was replaced by Brennan McKernan to head the current UAPTF. In its current form, the UAPTF/AOIMSG has clearly toned down on aliens, and has begun more seriously exploring other more prosaic explanations, as also evidenced by the recent reports, without explicitly confirming nor denying any hypothesis. The 2021 UAPTF report as well as the recent congressional hearing essentially read: 'The data is not impressive but a few cases did seem strange, while they can be explained variously. If you want better analysis of these few cases, or more cases to analyze, give us more money and more competent staff.' It is very clear from the star bokeh blunders discussed on this thread that this competence issue is still very much an issue.

A politically motivated and unclassified fringe exercise under the Pentagon poses some information security challenges within the DoD and has produced certain unintended consequences.

All UAP evidence acquired from the DoD by the AOIMSG/UAPTF (and its predecessor the AATIP) portrays phenomena that seem to have been initially genuinely unidentified by the military staff directly observing and reporting them to their superiors. The DoD, on one hand, has to provide AOIMSG/UAPTF/AATIP with some material to work on when requested by the latter. To eloquently quote @jackfrostvc, the safest bet is to choose obscure low-resolution “garbage” that doesn’t compromise any secret assets. On the other, all such reports were likely carefully pre-analyzed and vetted within the Navy core functions which are characteristically hesitant to share classified information, including internal analysis, with its contracted entities or other fringe functions within the DoD that the former do not fully trust. Leaks are of course a separate issue and adds to the uneasiness of the core DoD functions to share anything with other DoD functions actively engaged with and scrutinized by the public.

Reconnaissance, surveillance and intelligence (ISR) are part and parcel of DoD’s core functions in almost every military discipline. Developing these functions to quicker and better identify potential airborne threats is a core area of constant improvement. These core military functions do not rely on a separate modestly funded, logistically distant, and mostly unclassified fringe entity in the Pentagon that is demonstrably limited in its capacity to identify UAP or otherwise occupied by unimportant low-information-content data.

Despite its limited capacity and limited access to classified data, since the AATIP/UAPTF/AOIMSG is known to exist under the Pentagon, it has often been the go-to source sought and quoted by senior officials (both legislative and executive) and media outlets in their public communications on UAP. This has resulted in confusing public statements in which footage leaked by Elizondo and Mellon, somewhat convincingly explained as optical illusion by other sources, has been presented to the public as 'Pentagon-confirmed evidence of objects behaving in physics-defying ways.'

The DoD does not usually discuss its internal findings publicly nor does it need to fully identify each UAP to have a rough idea of the likeliest explanations. It will therefore continue to officially acknowledge that the bulk of the data acquired by the UAPTF portray unidentified aerial phenomena. Such an acknowledgement, however, does not logically imply that (1) all the UAP footage so defined is actually unidentified by Pentagon, nor point to (2) the Pentagon's deficit of plausible non-alien explanations to any of the footage.

As long as AOIMSG/UAPTF/AATIP exists as an entity under the Pentagon, its current incompetent interpretations on UAP incidents, and even the outlandish ones of its former members (i.e. Elizondo), will continue to be sought and quoted as authoritative Pentagon positions, regrettably casting doubt on the competence and the credibility of the entire Navy and the DoD. Some of these positions will continue to stand in contradiction to other explanations from other expert sources, including possibly within Pentagon.

Moreover, an official Pentagon denial of classified US military capabilities featuring in UAP footage would make sense in both scenarios; (1) such capabilities actually featuring in the footage or (2) not.

This is, roughly, what the whole UAP ruckus is all about. To have someone like Mick assist the AOIMSG in analyzing UAP data would not only be helpful in offering more accurate explanations to the Congress/the public based on a more rigorous analysis of the available evidence. It would also increase and restore public confidence in the competence of the Navy/DoD.

Last edited:
There's a saying that goes, "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like nail". If you're looking for foreign threats, everything starts to look like one.
That's what I was getting at. Latatski was looking for "alien phenomenon" and found it, maybe these guys saw that a drone causes bokeh, so every case of bokeh is a drone, be it actual drones or airliners or stars.

guess youd have to look into Lacatski further to confirm, but I know he was billed by Coast 2 Coast when they interviewed him
Not to get off topic here, but I don't think he calls himself a "counterintelligence coordinator" in his own book, at least not in the way we're thinking about it. Of course, he didn't seem to mind that title being used when he hit the media circuit. Again, I should have a post with relevant quotes from his book up in a couple of days.

Given the new thread and its subject, it is probably worth noting that the low quality of the video leaked or released by the Navy/Pentagon is about in line with the low quality of footage coming from other sources. This would be consistent with there not being any high quality footage. Or at least none that can be called "unidentified."

Is the footage high quality or low quality or is it dictated by the quality required for a target to be quickly identified? For example, the military infra-red that I have seen is of poorer quality than produced by the infrared camera I have which is designed to find failures in equipment and structures. My equipment likely wouldn't serve long in a military use environment, but the military doesn't require my camera's capacity. What is needed is someone who is a pilot or radar operator to look at what is provided to settle the question.
It is highly likely the office is to provide a place for military personnel outside of the know of Black Projects who experience something to have a place to report their experience and feel something is being done about it. The current public aspects of this after the leaking of the videos is to assure the public "something is being done about it."
If Roswell was the case of Army Air Corp personnel finding the wreckage of a Project Mogul balloon and instrument package, and then went to the media to tell them about wreckage of a flying saucer, then the military would have wanted to make sure something like this did not happen again. Damage control had to be conducted and the weather balloon story was floated. There had to be a way to preemptively strike potential eruptions.
Many of the things observed occurred in the areas the DoD and FAA have set aside for training and weapons testing. While everyone expects pilots and personnel will see things in the pilot training areas because that is where they are concentrated, people tend to forget the second reason the areas exist, weapons testing. How does a bureaucracy deal with a large number of observers including pilots outside of the know who, although they are told not to reveal anything, feel the need to report something to somebody? A place is created to allow them to send reports.
My belief Elizondo, Mellon and the others are in the know. The best way to derail an investigation is to lead it. And while derailing an investigation, they are able to generate speaking fees, raise money for projects and feed their egos in that a large mass of people are following them while they are performing a great public service. Because of the psychology of UFO enthusiasts, they are easily sucked into this. They are lead to believe that they are on the edge of reaching "disclosure," while being taken on a drive around a cul-de-sac roundabout.

Is the footage high quality or low quality or is it dictated by the quality required for a target to be quickly identified?
That's a good observation. If the footage had a better quality, the object in it wouldn't be unidentified.
UFOs exist in what I call the Low Information Zone (the LIZ). That's the physical region around you (or your camera) just beyond the distance where you can make out what something is. The LIZ is a curious thing in that it expands and contracts based on the lighting conditions, the size and shape of the object, the quality of your eyesight, the presence of optical aids like telescopes, and the resolution and zoom of your camera.

The Navy pilots have a LIZ in any given situation (they probably even have an acronym of their own for it). Radar can only go so far and does not always give you much information beyond position and sometimes speed. FLIR cameras have only so much zoom. The human eye has shorter limits and is subject to a variety of confounding factors.

So, regardless of any belief about aliens or secret technology of some sort, whenever you detect something flying in the LIZ, then that's automatically being to a UFO simply because there's not enough information to identify it.

If you were to suddenly change the size of the LIZ, to expand it by getting out your 10x binoculars, then the UFO often becomes an IFO. Sometimes the expansion does not work, because the object is still in the Low Information Zone, the LIZ.
See also https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ufo-acronym-defnitions.11742/ .

IMO, asking for disclosure from the Gov for 70 years or so, is at this point a Witch Hunt. I mean, the gov has put out programs like Blue Book etc and they have said the same thing, a small percentage of things we don't know what they are because we don't have good info to make any detailed analysis on them to make a call on them Yet for ages now, people have demanded disclosure like the gov knows Aliens are real and have HD pics of alien craft etc.

How long does this go on before you call it a Witch Hunt?

It doesn't even make much sense to me, the amount of aircraft , eyes in the sky and area covered by commercial aircraft dwarfs the airforce/Navy's coverage. probably 1000 to 1 as a guess, yet it's the gov that has the goods?

Makes no sense to me, It's like someone says the crops failed, therefore it must be a witch. There are a 1000 people in the village, one doesn't speak much, therefor they are the witch and are badgered for 70 years to confess they are a witch

Back