Saw this posted on 4chan, user claimed that it was Comet ISON.

Well at the moment Ison is ahead of the sunrise, venus is at sunset, so it depends what time of day.
I wonder though if any tail should still be visible?
Also I don't know if it's supposed to be of a magnitude that would show in that much daylight, but Venus would.

found this info...
http://www.universetoday.com/106707/waiting-for-ison-a-post-perihelion-viewing-guide/

Most northern hemisphere observers may catch first sight of Comet ISON post-perihelion around the morning of December 1st. Look low to the east, about half an hour before local sunrise. Use binoculars to sweep back and forth on your morning comet dawn patrol. Note that on December 1st, Saturn, Mercury, and the slim waning crescent Moon will also perch nearby!
Content from External Source
ad1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net_wp_content_uploads_2013_11_Dec_1_580x274.jpg

Comet ISON, Mercury, Saturn and the Moon: looking east on the morning of December 1st as seen from latitude 30 degrees north. (Created using Starry Night Education software).

Comet ISON will rapidly gain elevation on successive mornings as it heads off to the northeast, but will also rapidly decrease in brightness as well. If current projections hold, ISON will dip back below magnitude 0 just a few days after perihelion, and back below naked eye visibility by late December. Observers may also be able to start picking it up low to the west at dusk by mid-December, but mornings will be your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I don't know this site, 4chan.org/pol/(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan), I got some bizarre pop ups when I went there, I'm not sure that I won't be spending a little time cleaning my computer in the morning.

Without a perspective, (time and location would be really nice), it could be nearly anything, it looks a little off for Venus, to me. Until we have perspective , I'm more interested in what these spots are? U.jpg

It's not expected to be visible until 2nd of december, mainly because it's still too close to the sun, and is too faint to be seen in daylight.
So unlikely.

Well at the moment Ison is ahead of the sunrise, venus is at sunset, so it depends what time of day.
I wonder though if any tail should still be visible?
Also I don't know if it's supposed to be of a magnitude that would show in that much daylight, but Venus would.

found this info...
http://www.universetoday.com/106707/waiting-for-ison-a-post-perihelion-viewing-guide/

Most northern hemisphere observers may catch first sight of Comet ISON post-perihelion around the morning of December 1st. Look low to the east, about half an hour before local sunrise. Use binoculars to sweep back and forth on your morning comet dawn patrol. Note that on December 1st, Saturn, Mercury, and the slim waning crescent Moon will also perch nearby!

ad1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net_wp_content_uploads_2013_11_Dec_1_580x274.jpg
Comet ISON, Mercury, Saturn and the Moon: looking east on the morning of December 1st as seen from latitude 30 degrees north. (Created using Starry Night Education software).

Comet ISON will rapidly gain elevation on successive mornings as it heads off to the northeast, but will also rapidly decrease in brightness as well. If current projections hold, ISON will dip back below magnitude 0 just a few days after perihelion, and back below naked eye visibility by late December. Observers may also be able to start picking it up low to the west at dusk by mid-December, but mornings will be your best bet.

It's been visible at sunrise in Finland since yesterday morning. Not sure how much longer it will be visible.

I don't think there's any way a short daytime exposure would capture an object as faint as the comet. If it were somehow possible, not only would stars of similar magnitude also be visible in the FOV, but astrophotography in general would be significantly easier. :p

A little searching led to me find what appears to be the original source for the photo, a garden-variety conspiracy channel on YouTube.

The author is predictably misguided, vaguely claiming that NASA is involved in some sort of coverup regarding ISON. If we take his statements at face value, he (first) apparently believes he's photographed an alien spaceship because he doesn't think it resembles a comet. (Chemtrails receive a passing, unrelated mention.) In a subsequent video, he then seems to think that the comet was fired upon by some unknown source, which he believes was responsible for the decrease in the comet's apparent magnitude. All he's really doing is revealing his ignorance of astronomy and the inability to interpret imagery from the Large Angle and Spectrometric COronagraph aboard NASA's Solar & Heliospheric Observatory.

It's really quite a train wreck of nonsense. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A little searching led to me find what appears to be the original source for the photo, a garden-variety conspiracy channel on YouTube.

The author is predictably misguided, vaguely claiming that NASA is involved in some sort of coverup regarding ISON. If we take his statements at face value, he (first) apparently believes he's photographed an alien spaceship because he doesn't think it resembles a comet. (Chemtrails receive a passing, unrelated mention.) In a subsequent video, he then seems to think that the comet was fired upon by some unknown source, which he believes was responsible for the decrease in the comet's apparent magnitude. All he's really doing is revealing his ignorance of astronomy and the inability to interpret imagery from the Large Angle and Spectrometric COronagraph aboard NASA's Solar & Heliospheric Observatory.

It's really quite a train wreck of nonsense. :rolleyes:
I agree that Dahboo7 is a "train wreck of nonsense", however I don't believe he would be the source of this hoax. He just latches on to anything he thinks might bring him a few viewers.

Back