Persistent Blue Spiral in the Gulf of Oman

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
While browsing recent Earth images on NASA EOSDIS Worldview, I spotted a blue spiral in the Gulf of Oman.

The image above was taken by the Terra satellite on May 4, 2015, but the spiral can be seen on the images taken by both Terra and Aqua satellites between April 23 and May 8. Here is an animation made from the daily images from April 29 to May 4:
PBEiGO.gif

It is not a new phenomenon, similar blue spirals have been captured previously by the MODIS satellites and described in Earth Observatory blogs. One of these was spotted south of Africa on December 26, 2011:

The Eddy and the Plankton (February 11, 2012)
The other was spotted south of Australia on December 30, 2013:

Spiral of Plankton (January 9, 2014)

Last edited:

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
Learn somethin new every day.. I figured there was a method for stirring up the oceanic waters (rivers and streams have similar features) Ive just never seen or heard of one until now.. thats amazing! Ive done some digging but havent come across anything.. does anyone know if one of these Edis has been spotted during a red tide or does the fact that its a red tide preclude its existence? Im assuming that they would since these edis also oxygenate the water as they bring up the nutrients, and red tides usually deplete the dissolved oxygen. Any ideas?

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
I would imagine that red tides would not be associated with eddies because red tides are largely a coastal phenomenon, and the type of deep water eddies like those above would be disrupted by the littoral environment. Generally at the coast there are enough nutrients present eddies wouldn't be required to create a bloom.

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.
Wiki indicates the increasing frequency of red tides is thought to be caused by a combination of increased nutrient load, primarily from agricultural runoff, and warming SSTs, which meshes with what I've read elsewhere.

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
Wiki indicates the increasing frequency of red tides is thought to be caused by a combination of increased nutrient load, primarily from agricultural runoff, and warming SSTs, which meshes with what I've read elsewhere.

Aye.. thats what sparked my curiosity. The main process with these eddies is churning the waters so that the nutrients at the bottom, come closer to the surface. Seeing as this one is in the Gulf of Oman.. while it isnt EXACTLY coastal, is pretty close given the size... might cause a phytoplankton bloom.

Although given what youve just said, I can see itd be much closer to land because of the agricultural run offs etc. Thanks Ghost.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I actually was looking for recent satellite images of contrails between 30° N and 30° S in the EOSDIS Worldview (there are some), when I stumble upon this spiral. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was, so it was not a "skydentify" subject. There was no apparent debunking angle either, but I saw a few connections to other Metabunk fora and decided to start a new thread here.

One connection is an analogy to the persistent contrail formation -- like the passing plane reveals the presence of necessary atmospheric conditions, the plankton bloom reveals the presence of the eddies in the Ocean, which otherwise would be invisible to the MODIS satellites.

A second connection is to geoengineering -- this is a nature's demonstration of the likely consequences of ocean fertilisation.

A third one is obvious -- a giant blue spiral in the ocean could be a "100% proof" of somebody's favourite CT.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I found a scientific paper suggesting that the eddy in the Gulf of Oman is a seasonal phenomenon:
http://archimer.ifremer.fr/doc/00171/28206/33894.pdf

I looked for similar eddies in the Gulf of Oman in 2013 and 2014 but found none. Unfortunately, the EOSDIS Wordview does not go that far back to check if there were blue spirals in the satellite images from Spring 2008, 2011, and 2012. This can be checked by other means, but it will take a time.

Whitebeard

Senior Member.
A third one is obvious -- a giant blue spiral in the ocean could be a "100% proof" of somebody's favourite CT.
like this?
http://www.utaot.com/2013/01/21/an-...-interdimensional-vortex-in-the-gulf-of-aden/

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
Trailblazer Persistent contrails at 26,000ft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Tapir-mâché Curious-- how low can persistent contrails form? Contrails and Chemtrails 25
Mick West Persistent Trails Survey Shows Chemtrail Believers Only Recently Noticed Persistent Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 32
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West An unusual persistent aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
MikeG "Non-Persistent" and "Non-Visible Chemtrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 29
Mick West Persistent Cumuliform Contrails at 25,000 feet over California? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
S Persistent Spreading Contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 4
D [NeedInfo]Persistent Contrails Picture Show Contrails and Chemtrails 2
M Converting Relative Humidity with regards to water, to Relative Humidity with regards to ice Contrails and Chemtrails 3
O More on debunking "no persistent contrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 12
cmnit Debunked: No persistent contrails in Russia Contrails and Chemtrails 67
Mick West Debunked: The Science Claims of Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Trailblazer Busy Sky over Southern UK - July 30 2014 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Dylmar Are there more persistent contrails these days? Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Mick West Debunking "Contrails don't Persist" with a Study of 70 Years of Books on Clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 98
Ross Marsden Aerodynamic and Exhaust Mediated Persistent Contrails - When do they Form? Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Jay Reynolds Debunked: "Hygroscopic Smoke" Produces Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 1
mrfintoil Discussion: False memories and "No persistent trails in the past" Contrails and Chemtrails 46
WavedRhyme Persistent contrails and overcast the day after Contrails and Chemtrails 12
George B Debunk Global Warming can reduce the number of Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Pre 1995 Persistent Contrail Archive Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 516
Mick West Michael J. Murphy Admits Persistent Contrails Exist. Can't tell the difference. Contrails and Chemtrails 26
M Relative humidity difference between persistent and non-persistent contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 41
G Persistent Contrail Since 1919 Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Z.W. Wolf Explained: Red Mirages, Blue Shifts, and Data Dumps in the 2020 Election Election 2020 0
Mick West Satellite ADS-B Data in FlightAware24 - Blue Planes Prove Globe Earth Flat Earth 1
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 29
Radapox Peru gas station object (blue "walking" blob) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Rory Debunked: View of Blue Ridge Mountains impossible on spherical earth Flat Earth 95
Mick West Debunked: 'UFO Trailing Blue Smoke' over airport [Atlas V Rocket Launch] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
JRBids Blue Splotches around Nexrad Stations [Birds] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 29
Whitebeard Bright 'St. Patrick's Day' meteor over UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
386 Small Green Anomaly with Blue Trail (Night Sky Photography) [Lens Flare/Reflection] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Mick West Red and Blue Side-by-Side Contrails, Midlands, UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 35
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Trailspotter The Blue Marble "super-contrail" Contrails and Chemtrails 15
Balance Blue skies memory problem General Discussion 22
Robert Tankersley Debunked: Video of UFO behind a cloud, dropping flashing blue lights [Viral Marketing Hoax] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 43
Mick West Debunked: Strange Blue Spheres Fall Over England 2012 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Mick West Spiral Contrails viewed from the International Space Station Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Oxymoron Norway Spiral. Was it Really a Failed Missile Launch or Was it HAARP (EISCAT) Conspiracy Theories 36
Mick West Moscow Spiral Contrail / Helix Cloud - Theories Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 54
Related Articles

Related Articles