People don't think they are Conspiracy believers

well I'm female and not ultra-intelligent so it's really a different thing. People aren't 'threatened' by females the same way they are by intelligent men.
Why do you feel that way Dee? I meet plenty of women in my field that are intimidating and fierce, and as far as I'm concerned you're far from not being intelligent. And do you ever feel discriminated on this site because you are female, or feel pushed aside?

Why do you feel that way Dee? I meet plenty of women in my field that are intimidating and fierce, and as far as I'm concerned you're far from not being intelligent. And do you ever feel discriminated on this site because you are female, or feel pushed aside?
no. lol and I didn't say I'm not intelligent. men don't listen! ; )

This is terrible....I hate to see anyone describe themselves as "not intelligent".
And yet conversely it's a bit frustrating when people greatly overestimate their intelligence, memory, and observational skill.

I'm not ultra intelligent. Lots of my friends have higher IQs than me. I'm intelligent enough though.

I'm not ultra intelligent. Lots of my friends have higher IQs than me. I'm intelligent enough though.
I think that statement says alot about you Mick, and its why you're so successful. If more people could come to that realization, the world would be a much better place.

it's not regurgitation, it's repetition. It's not the skeptics fault if people keep bringing up (regurgitating)the same bunk over and over. the facts are the facts.

it doesn't matter if I 'feel' the sun revolves around the Earth, my science teacher is going to keep repeating the science until I learn the actual facts. It's ME that needs to learn to listen, not the science teacher.

That 'sun orbits the Earth' is an example of how just "looking up", but not understanding what you see, can fool you. It is an example I use all the time. They never answer, but maybe it still has the desired effect.

That 'sun orbits the Earth' is an example...

CAN I toss this in here? (Mick, delete if you wish). There ARE people alive today who still actually believe this....the myth of "geocentrism".

A video...actually a series of videos... that helps to dispel this myth, and unscientific misunderstanding:

CAN I toss this in here? (Mick, delete if you wish). There ARE people alive today who still actually believe this....the myth of "geocentrism".

A video...actually a series of videos... that helps to dispel this myth, and unscientific misunderstanding:

thanks! was wondering what geocentrism was but didn't feel like looking it up or watching the vid. ; )

What if you think some conspiracy theories could be true, does that mean that you're a conspiracy theorist?
If so you can call me a conspiracy theorist.

I never believed in aliens or chemtrails, but I guess that's the same as believing some rich people working together to stay rich.
I think that's a bit strange.

Some are.

This site is about debunking those that are untrue.

I get that, but this thread is about people that don't think they are conspiracy believers.
My point was, at what point do you call somebody a conspiracy believer/theorist?
And when you call somebody a conspiracy believer, do you mean that you think that person believes in all conspiracy theories?

What if you think some conspiracy theories could be true, does that mean that you're a conspiracy theorist?

I never believed in aliens or chemtrails, but I guess that's the same as believing some rich people working together to stay rich.
I think its unfair to call some a conspiracy theorist or nut because they're on the fence about a particular theory.

I get that, but this thread is about people that don't think they are conspiracy believers.
My point was, at what point do you call somebody a conspiracy believer/theorist?
And when you call somebody a conspiracy believer, do you mean that you think that person believes in all conspiracy theories?
Thats a good point, and also why I think it's an unfair accusation to make. Just because someone believes in one CT or thinks there could be some truth to it, like JFK, it doesn't mean they are a conspiracy theorist. It just means they might believe there was more than one shooter...

You call them that when the term clearly applies to them.

That is, if there is a point on a spectrum where the term applies, and people are close to that point, then you do not call them that.

It's not a point, it's an area. Trying to define a precise definition is futile and ultimately subjective.

Interesting....will have to ponder on that.

But, as I sit and think....I ask this: DO people self-identify as "conspiracy believers"....or, do they tend to 'justify' instead?

You call them that when the term clearly applies to them.

That is, if there is a point on a spectrum where the term applies, and people are close to that point, then you do not call them that.

It's not a point, it's an area. Trying to define a precise definition is futile and ultimately subjective.

Well I think calling somebody a 'conspiracy believer' is a way to make people look stupid.

Well I think calling somebody a 'conspiracy believer' is a way to make people look stupid.

I disagree. Personally, I have found that some 'conspiracies' have turned out to have a bit of truth behind them.

BUT, the point here is: BUNK! Finding the BUNK, and exposing it for what it is...BUNK!

EDIT: EVERYONE can have an "opinion" on a subject. But facts are facts....and bunk is bunk...AND when BUNK is presented against a previously assumed "opinion"? Then a reasonable person will choose the FACT, against the "opinion".

I disagree. Personally, I have found that some 'conspiracies' have turned out to have a bit of truth behind them.

BUT, the point here is: BUNK! Finding the BUNK, and exposing it for what it is...BUNK!

EDIT: EVERYONE can have an "opinion" on a subject. But facts are facts....and bunk is bunk...AND when BUNK is presented against a previously assumed "opinion"? Then a reasonable person will choose the FACT, against the "opinion".

I agree, but why the need to call somebody a conspiracy theorist, the term is too broad, that's all.

I think it means you believe in about any/all of them that come down the pike and you don't want to see them disproved. You LIKE believing in them in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

I think it means you believe in about any/all of them that come down the pike and you don't want to see them disproved. You LIKE believing in them in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

Then I think the term conspiracy theorist is used way too much, or too early. It's the same as calling somebody right wing or liberal because of 1 opinion.

Then I think the term conspiracy theorist is used way too much, or too early. It's the same as calling somebody right wing or liberal because of 1 opinion.

It's a description of the people I described above and there are plenty of them on the internet. I think you are not going to have much success getting people to stop using the term.

....a conspiracy theorist, the term is too broad, that's all.

Granting that opinion.

But, (and this IS about "conspiracy theorists") of whom, I have dealt with A LOT!!

Allow me, please, to show you just ONE example...knowing that perhaps the "conspiracy theory" of the "Moon is a hologram" is not extant...it shows that there ARE certain elements of people out there, and THOSE people can (in turn) influence others:

NOW....a very great DEBUNK of that video, above:

(Sorry if the word "batshit" offends anyone!).

Granting that opinion.

But, (and this IS about "conspiracy theorists") of whom, I have dealt with A LOT!!

Allow me, please, to show you just ONE example...knowing that perhaps the "conspiracy theory" of the "Moon is a hologram" is not extant...it shows that there ARE certain elements of people out there, and THOSE people can (in turn) influence others:

NOW....a very great DEBUNK of that video, above:

(Sorry if the word "batshit" offends anyone!).

That was funny, didn't need a debunk, that was just crazy talk.
Good thing only 21.825 people watched it and probably the majority had a good laugh.
Also do these crazy videos always come from religious people? Then you shouldn't even try to show them facts.

When they are promoting a theory or belief of conspiracy.
It's not the person pointing out I'm wrong that I should be upset at though.
From the debunker's point it seems that correcting someone should naturally result in curiosity about what the truth *actually* is, rather than hostility.
I can't understand how people don't want to know why they were sold something untrue, and have some curiosity about the source of that belief and the motivation for promoting it and want to investigate further.
But no, instead they get angry at the person giving them the truth, not the source of the lie.
That's why people(TM) suck, it's been the way of the human collective throughout history.

I rarely see individual people called conspiracy theorists. (well there are a few who like Landrau said believe in 3-5-9 ). I see it used more in a general sense when discussing a topic. like people call skeptics 'skeptics' even though there are many variations. I think Truthers are 9/11 (right?) and chemtrailists are chemtrail believers and Hoaxers are Sandy hook or boston/aurora people. CT is more a general category to me.

But, as I sit and think....I ask this: DO people self-identify as "conspiracy believers"....or, do they tend to 'justify' instead?
1st post and title of the thread. They deny it now that the term has been associated so long with irrational and impossible to prove beliefs.
They want to redefine the term, hence all the stuff about conspiracy theorist being a term invented by the CIA purely to discredit.

I can't understand how people don't want to know why they were sold something untrue, and have some curiosity about the source of that belief and the motivation for promoting it and want to investigate further.

That kind of curiosity requires that you move outside your comfort zone and realize that the world is a LOT different than you thought it was. This removes the illusion of control people feel they have and creates a very deep sense of fear and unease. When you have the ability, or LEARN the ability, to see the world through an unbiased filter then the fear goes away. People fear what they arent exposed to and dont understand.. it takes a LOT of mental, emotional and in some cases spiritual fortitude to challenge your perceptions of the world and change how you see and understand things. Not everyone can do it, and those that can either have to fight through the above, or just come by it naturally.

It's hard for people to admit they were fooled when part of their preaching is telling others they are being fooled.

Silly sheeple!

Haha, I'm not even thinking about stopping people using that term, just giving my opinion.
No, you're voicing a complaint to people, I assume, you think are guilty of this inappropriate language. Why bother if you didn't expect it to have any effect on anyone?

Back