New Forum Software

Mick: Just out of curiosity, is there a single-click means of navigating to the most recent post in a given thread (like in vBull/phpBB/etc.)? I can't tell if I'm missing the option or if it doesn't (yet) exist.

Edit: I think I found it... hadn't occurred to me to click on the date...

Mick: Just out of curiosity, is there a single-click means of navigating to the most recent post in a given thread (like in vBull/phpBB/etc.)? I can't tell if I'm missing the option or if it doesn't (yet) exist.

Edit: I think I found it... hadn't occurred to me to click on the date...

That's it. You can also click on the blue dot to get to the first post since you last read that thread.

Last edited:
I've changed the "What's New" menu link to "Recent Threads", which shows the most recent message in each forum, more useful for seeing what the latest activity in the forum is.

@Mick:

Maybe you should rename this lovely "Spy"-Function into something, that doesn´t look harmfull to neutral guests...

Nobody wants to see a "Spy" in his forum...

I recommend to rename this in "Paid shill" or "NWO-Agent" ;)

So spy is now activity stream? The only thing is I can't go to a 'previous' or 'more activity' other than what shows up, to check what I've missed.

So spy is now activity stream? The only thing is I can't go to a 'previous' or 'more activity' other than what shows up, to check what I've missed.

It's because it's a real-time thing, potentially getting lots of queries, so it just caches the last 20 items or so.

Try Members/Recent Activity, if you want a longer view.

Ok...this was a big surprise...
I like the look...but I'm having a real issue finding some things. How do I change how threads are displayed? I don't want to start at the very beginning of a huge long thread.

Also...what/where is the SPY tab? I don't see that anywhere I've looked.

Sorry...I'm just real used to VBulletin as thats what we use on my Forums....

Spy tab was renamed "Activity Stream" to be more descriptive.

I'm not sure what you mean about starting at the beginning. Did you have the display order inverted in VB?
You can just skip to the last page:
https://www.metabunk.org/sk/Advocat..._and_debunkers_|_Metabunk-20130702-081315.jpg

And you can go to the last post from the Activity Stream, or Recent Activity. And then there's the "Unread Threads" (under the "What's new" drop down menu)

Last edited:
Also, check out the "Chat" tab, which also gives a real-time update of what's going on.

Yes...I do have the display order inverted in VB. I'm one of the "there all the time" types as a SuperMod...so I need to quickly see the new spammers. I see how you can jump to the end now.

I don't have a drop down under "whats new". There's an arrow like there should be a drop down when I hover over it...but nothing happens unless I click it. Then it takes me to .....

Oops never mind....I see I actually have to be over the down arrow for the drop down to appear. I kinda don't like that personally, my hand eye coordination isn't that great.

I do like the chat button.

Sorry you needed to retrain me, at 55 you get used to certain things.

Also, you can click on the date/time in the forum list to go to the last post

Last edited:
Does the software include support for embedding Tweets, or is there a simple plugin to enable it? Not sure how much demand there would be, I was just wondering. :)

I just added the modification to do this, you need to paste in the URL of the tweet (from clicking on the date/time on the right of the tweet)

Gives you this link, which you paste into a post.
https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/352786598498279426

Automagic result:

Last edited:
Just a thought to change the refresh rate of the activity stream - I left my activity stream window open and a download monitor on while I had a shower, when I came back a half hour later it had gone up by 6MB. I seem to get a refresh icon every ten-seconds or so.
I'm on mobile internet and had noticed a bit of an increase in usage, so I think that was it. I'll stop leaving the activity stream window open from now on.

I very much like this site's format, and all it's "extras". It works well on mobile, too.

Back