Nearly Vertical Trail over Garden Grove

Fix-it-man

I hope I can discuss a con or chem trail I observed today, did not find any news about it. I was in garden grove California today around 11 am and looked to the south east, possibly from along the coast observed a almost vertical trail, which seemed odd because of the trajectory, what other than a rocket could make a climb almost straight up. Directly vertical? It didn't look as if it were a pair of engines, perhaps a single engine. How can I find information on this?

Garden Grove My Hometown . Im sure it was just a contrail but your image of the space shuttle is wrong , at least from where I live .

Not wrong, just viewed from a different angle. The Shuttle is interesting as it was not going straight up, but unlike a plane actually is going up at a significant angle.

The following two photos show the same thing, viewed from different angles.

As are these:

Last edited:
Okay, these three shots probably don't add much to the Gateway Arch example…but they give me an excuse to recommend it: If you ever have a
chance to ride to the top, folks…take it…it's an awesome experience & view of the "Dred Scott courthouse," Busch Stadium & the Mississippi River.
Arch from below r.jpg
Gateway frontal shot r.jpg
Gateway windos at top r.jpg

I understand what you are saying but appearance is everything to a observer .

But it's nothing to a correct understanding of the event in three dimensional space, for that you need to think beyond the personal viewpoint and take an overview to understand why things appear the way they do.

But it's nothing to a correct understanding of the event in three dimensional space, for that you need to think beyond the personal viewpoint and take an overview to understand why things appear the way they do.

Hence the old adage "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

I hope I can discuss a con or chem trail I observed today, did not find any news about it. I was in garden grove California today around 11 am and looked to the south east, possibly from along the coast observed a almost vertical trail, which seemed odd because of the trajectory, what other than a rocket could make a climb almost straight up. Directly vertical? It didn't look as if it were a pair of engines, perhaps a single engine. How can I find information on this?

Just to add to the already excellent responses. I live in RPV...and when I was out and about today, noticed that we had some contrail activity, usually a precursor to impending weather fronts and changes heading our way.

But, I was out this PM, not at the 11 AM hour. However, the other replies covered everything that needed to be explained.

Interesting with the shuttle launch, it looks like it actually is traveling in an arc, up, then down, when really it's just going up. A combination of persecutive, and the curvature of the earth

THOSE are absolutely stunning photos!! Brilliant!

EDIT: Had to copy/save those, for the desktop!

Here's an even more straight up-down image. Remember this is never actually going down, just away and around the Earth:
http://www.tcpalm.com/photos/2011/feb/23/288426/

I am going to add, and state the obvious...just in case it isn't "obvious" to all...these photos appear to be time-lapse exposures...or more correctly, since it's a single photo, a VERY long single exposure, with a very small aperture, so as not to over-expose the film...this is important to comprehend, how the "magic" of photography can expand our Human visual eye/cortex perception.

On the topic of contrails....sometimes actual time-lapse, this case a few frames every minute, compressed into a "fast speed" video presentation, can better illustrate real contrails, and cirrus clouds...and OTHER clouds as well:

There are countless other examples...

I am going to add, and state the obvious...just in case it isn't "obvious" to all...these photos appear to be time-lapse exposures...or more correctly, since it's a single photo, a VERY long single exposure, with a very small aperture, so as not to over-expose the film...this is important to comprehend, how the "magic" of photography can expand our Human visual eye/cortex perception.

On the topic of contrails....sometimes actual time-lapse, this case a few frames every minute, compressed into a "fast speed" video presentation, can better illustrate real contrails, and cirrus clouds...and OTHER clouds as well:

There are countless other examples...

JUST to add, a few more from YouTube...this time, specifically noted to be time-lapses of contrails:

Just an illusion.

Florida 2008

News article for the Florida 2008 contrail

It's a rocket, it's a missile, no, it's a ...
BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
alinhardt@keysnews.com
On New Year's Eve, some Florida Keys residents were awed by an unusual sight in the south to southwest skies off Key West.

Recreational boaters, commercial fishermen and others snapped photographs they sent to the Navy, asking what the fast-moving object was that left a thick plume in its long wake, which glowed orange in the setting sun.

Some speculated, and worried, that it was a rocket or missile, or military test.

"To me, at first, it really looked like a missile," said commercial fisherman Lee Starling.

After seeing video of the object on YouTube, Navy officials this week said the sighting was a less nefarious seasonal phenomenon.

"Not until we saw the YouTube video could we really see that it's an airplane," Naval Air Station Key West spokesman Jim Brooks said. "But we get calls all the time over the holidays."

To accommodate the increased air traffic during the holidays, the U.S. government allows international commercial airliners to fly in areas that typically are restricted airspace, Brooks said. The uncommon sight is coupled with the curvature of the Earth, which makes the planes appear to be flying vertically, he said.

"We looked at it and it's a contrail," Brooks said of the visible trail of condensed water vapor made by the exhaust of the aircraft engine. "Not only that, but looking at the direction, it's probably coming from the Yucatan Peninsula. ... Because that's normally restricted airspace, we don't see it all the time. But we see them enough to know that it's not a strange or new phenomenon."

Liberty Clipper Capt. Ron Opiela said he's seen it before. And he and Starling said they saw two more planes in the same general airspace a few days later.

"There's nothing supernatural or covert," Opiela said. "The planes flying from the west use Key West as a way point. It wasn't a missile, but it's always pretty cool to see."

Content from External Source
http://keysnews.com/node/9385

Yet none of them are also asking why the clouds are coming out of the ground?

I have seen a couple of posts where people think they're coming out of the ground. Or think there is a "cloud machine" in the distance.

Back