NASA using green screen to fake ISS experiment footage

ki_cz

This is a clip that is starting to make the rounds. It's clear that the grid is there to assist with calculating the results of an experiment, but I was hoping that maybe somebody would know exactly what kind of experiment is being conducted, or knows where to find the actual broadcast of what is being displayed:

Very short video, but the relevant section is from about 20-40 seconds.

Moderator add: Experiement is called Circular Motion.
Source: https://youtu.be/iginxrFn3jg?t=62

Last edited by a moderator:

Hevach

Senior Member.
I don't believe that's true.

But chroma key screens do tend to be different colours than the clothing of people stood in front of them.
They're usually solid, but not always.
From Wikipeidia:

This set has dots of several different colors. I assume to align the digital set to the physical one, but I'm not positive and the wiki article doesn't elaborate. I know some of the fancier ones that youtube streamers use have lines (there used to be a Star Trek Online podcast that looked like they were sitting on various bridges, and their screen had lines so they could do the camera shake explosion thing the shows liked so much.

In this case, however, it wouldn't work. You've got a blue screen with a prominent white grid behind a subject wearing a blue shirt with white markings. If they tried to use that as a bluescreen, the result would be something like this TV weather snafu:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

jaceks

not sure if I understand this correctly, but does this video near the end suggests that based on some equipment position, NASA is using a blue screen to render ... more equipment and some flags? Wouldn't it be easier just to put the flags behind the astronaut?

Anyway, I think it's probably something like the measurement grid that mythbusters used all the time when filming moving objects. Known distances between the lines allows pretty precise measures of the movement speed of an object.

ki_cz

not sure if I understand this correctly, but does this video near the end suggests that based on some equipment position, NASA is using a blue screen to render ... more equipment and some flags? Wouldn't it be easier just to put the flags behind the astronaut?

Anyway, I think it's probably something like the measurement grid that mythbusters used all the time when filming moving objects. Known distances between the lines allows pretty precise measures of the movement speed of an object.
I agree completely, hopefully the footage of the experiment will be available somewhere at some point.

I'm guessing that the point attempting to be made is that the 'green screen' can somehow be used to simulate zero gravity for these kinds of segments. But that's just my assumption, the video doesn't really show anything besides "hey look there's something in the background that is enough evidence for me to believe everything is faked!"

Hofnarr

Video editing is a great thing, its no problem to just cut out the astrounaut and the ball, since most of the interior of the space station is white or gray. Laying a grid over the background is easy and very useful to see and calculate how things move.

As I mentioned the cutting out of the astrounaut and ball is an easy thing: chroma key's could be any colour, but he wouldn't be wearing a blue shirt on a blue screen this would make the whole chroma key unusable.

The other aspect. Look how the ball moves, he has the string in his hand. It wouldn't move like this down on earth.

Edit: Lookup the last link HeVach posted to see what I mean with "make the chroma key unusable"

Whitebeard

Senior Member.
Think you have it spot on there. I've a bit of green screen work my self, mainly in a few music videos, and never seen one marked out with that kind of grid system in a filming context, but I have seen them in film of science experiments to show movement etc.

ki_cz

Here is another video of the screen in use:

It definitely seems (as other have suggested) to be to provide more contrast for certain experiments/demonstrations.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
derrick06 Clarifying: Indian Schoolgirls discover Asteroid General Discussion 0
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 2
L Claim: NASA is doctoring an image [Scanner Dirt] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
Priyadi Eclipses and the Saros Cycle Flat Earth 3
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
Rory Claim: Nasa' in Hebrew means "to deceive" Flat Earth 11
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
deirdre NASA fakes Michael Collins' spacewalk photo (artistic representation of event) Science and Pseudoscience 23
nickrulercreator [Debunked] Apollo 14 Flag Waving Before Ascent? Science and Pseudoscience 21
P Bizarre alien ship spotted by ISS! Or, you know, maybe not UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Rory Black square around Earth proves NASA fake footage Flat Earth 3
Leifer "solar sun simulator", 1960's patent Flat Earth 4
Rroval "NASA Confesses to Dosing Americans with Air-borne Lithium & Other Chemicals" Contrails and Chemtrails 1
P Debunked: NASA Nukes Alien Moonbase UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Santa's sidekick Debunked: Apollo 10 "Space Music" UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 16
Mick West Debunked: AnonSec's NASA Hack, Global Hawk Hijack, Evidence of Chemtrails [Public Domain Data] General Discussion 32
Pete Tar Debunked: Most recent NASA study shows ice growth in Antartica Science and Pseudoscience 15
Josh Heuer Debunked: UFO in NASA live feed [The Moon] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
Mick West NASA Worldview, New Interface Contrails and Chemtrails 15
Mick West NASA Orion Mission Contrail Shadow Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Graham2001 'NASA worker' claims to have seen humans walking on Mars in 1979 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
Graham2001 Aulis article uses NASA documents to cast doubt on the reality of Apollo Conspiracy Theories 26
Trailblazer Misrepresented: Stanford, NASA say perpetual sky-haze slows wind, cuts rainfall Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Joe Debunked: Blurred NASA image on Mars [Stitched in part of the Rover] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 13
sgirl New NASA pic of what looks like old ruins on Mars UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
Mick West Debunked: Nasa: Strange Markings Across The Globe 'Might Have Been Made By Aliens' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 26
W Debunk NASA is proposing spraying stratospheric aerosols. Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Mick West Debunked: Giant Bird In Flight On Mars Caught In NASA Billion Pixel View UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 31
Leifer Debunked: NASA cloud chart is faked Contrails and Chemtrails 31
Hama Neggs NASA on artificial cloud proliferation Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Critical Thinker NASA: 'This September, Ask a NASA Climate Scientist' Contrails and Chemtrails 0
MikeC Debunked: NASA Scientist Admitting 'Chemtrails' for decades (actually Sounding Rockets) Contrails and Chemtrails 17
Chuck Debunked: NASA War Document Exposed (The Future is Now) Conspiracy Theories 290
Kevin45345 Climate change deniers: NASA report verifies carbon dioxide actually cools atmosphere General Discussion 2
N NASA National and Interdepartmental Program for Weather Modification 1966 Contrails and Chemtrails 8
JRBids Nasa the future of war Conspiracy Theories 4
U Debunked: Moon Landing and NASA Photo - non parallel shadows Conspiracy Theories 13
George B Explained: Square in a NASA photo? [Centaur Landing Reference Grid] General Discussion 9
Wiggles Measuring the radius of Earth using Long Range Observations (LROs) Flat Earth 0
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Martin Gugino Was Using a "Police Tracker." Conspiracy Theories 42
Mick West Measuring 5G EMF and using ICNIRP Guidelines 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 14
Cassi O Google Maps Measure Distance Using Great Circle Flat Earth 0
Stefan Leahu Using railways to view curvature Flat Earth 3
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Kai Kostack's WTC7 Collapse Simulation using BCB and Blender 9/11 10
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Rory How to Show the Horizon is Below Eye Level, Using Actual Eyes Flat Earth 59
Related Articles

Related Articles