Moon moving "faster" than clouds

ilos28

I'm sorry for the weird title, it's just I couldn't picture anything better.

Well, the thing is a friend passed me this video (I know this video is probably not worth debunking, in that case, I'm sorry for posting it):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA6KI3w2lWU&feature=youtu.be

I've seen this a lot, when the night sky is cloudy and the moon seems to be moving fast across them, and it's a normal thing, but... well, as you can see in the comments (and the title of the video), this is another "apocalyptic video" (or at least she wants to make it look). The thing is I was watching all her videos about this "fast moon" and the other ones you can debunk them easily, but in this one, because of the camera, I can't see the "wrong" thing. She should be moving the camera, but I don't know if there is another option to debunk this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• #alternatereality #mandelaeffect SNOW FULL MOON 2020.mp4
    7.5 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
She is moving the camera to follow the clouds, as she thinks the clouds are not moving, but they are. So it feels like she's not moving the camera. It's just an optical illusion.

How hard is it to edit it into a version where the moon is stationary and the clouds move? Somewhat similar to how you apply image stabilization?

She is moving the camera to follow the clouds, as she thinks the clouds are not moving, but they are. So it feels like she's not moving the camera. It's just an optical illusion.

I thought so. The complicated part to me was prove it without using a software, I'm not really good with video software. It could've been easy if it had a reference point like a tree or something.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

I thought so. The complicated part to me was prove it without using a software, I'm not really good with video software. It could've been easy if it had a reference point like a tree or something.
With relative motion you can't really "prove" what is moving without another frame of reference. So you've got two options:

1) The clouds are moving at normal cloud speed
2) The moon is moving dramatically in violation of all known laws of physics, but nobody noticed except this lady.

At this point we can use Occam's razor. Or just common sense.

Well, the thing is this kind of people lack common sense, so you can't just persuade them, but at least I was able to persuade my friend.

Thanks again for your help.

This is an interesting psychological issue. It's very common to see people claiming all sorts of unusual things going on in the sky... which only they have seen or noticed. The Sun is rising and setting in the wrong place, the Moon rotates oddly (actually field rotation), there are new stars which have never been there before... etc. It should be immediately obvious that millions of other people would notice/have noticed through human history.

It should be immediately obvious that millions of other people would notice/have noticed through human history.
"I must've overlooked something" vs. "it's a glitch in the system".
If you want your world to be exciting, choose the second option.

This is an interesting psychological issue. It's very common to see people claiming all sorts of unusual things going on in the sky... which only they have seen or noticed. The Sun is rising and setting in the wrong place, the Moon rotates oddly (actually field rotation), there are new stars which have never been there before... etc. It should be immediately obvious that millions of other people would notice/have noticed through human history.

What you propose is interesting. I think that it works like a "déjà vu"; when I was younger, I couldn't associate déjà vu with anything that could've happened to me, but now, when, rarely, I have one, I can remember what other memories are similar to that déjà vu. The human mind plays many tricks.

Sometimes it's quite frustrating when you can't find an answer for the "weird" things that happen to you, even though you know that explanation really exist, but there are people who refuse to have something reasonably explained, and it doesn't have to be a bad thing, unless you decide to upload a video to YouTube saying something like "the end of the world is nigh" ...

Back