"Metapod" UFO. Top voted post of the month on r/UFOs, maybe top of all time

Doesn't act the way you might think

Plastic bags in the sky not even filled with helium

Another plastic bag

Falling leaves

Cherry blossoms. I suggest setting the playback speed to 0.25.

blowing trash

Last edited:
For those who find the balloon theory preferable to the thing-on-a-string theory, or for "string theory" proponents willing to prove themselves wrong in the interests of truth, explaining what would cause the appearance of what looks like a string in several frames would be helpful. "String" is:
Only visible above the object, not below.
Only visible when zoomed in sufficiently that a string might become visible.
Similar artifacts never appear elsewhere in the video. (If they do and I'm missing them, anybody feel free to point them out.)

If there is a string extending above it, it might still be a balloon inflated with regular air. If the apparant string can be shown to be something else (presumably some sort if video artifact) that should help clarify what we're looking at...

@Giddierone posted elsewhere about a company/organization called Aerocene. I think one of their balloons is worth posting here in case interest in this case picks up again. While obviously not the object in question, it is at least a good example of balloons made with opaque and transparent sections.

00_BecomingAerosolar_00203.jpg
Source:https://aerocene.org/newspaper-mccormack/

If the video is footage of a real, physical object, then we need some way to explain why it jitters around the frame when the video is stabilized on the clouds.

Custom designed balloons are becoming more common.
It kinda looks like a clear heart balloon, painted to simulate a "broken heart".

ball_clear.png

Or, it's my 90yo father's hearing aid.
He's always losing one.

If the video is footage of a real, physical object, then we need some way to explain why it jitters around the frame when the video is stabilized on the clouds.

Not a problem, because it simply moves toward the lower left corner of the frame. Consistent with a balloon moving in air currents.

Not a problem, because it simply moves toward the lower left corner of the frame. Consistent with a balloon moving in air currents.

Yet it's stationary before and after the zoom?

And it jitters around only during the zoom, in a way that's inconsistent with physical motion, but completely consistent with inaccurate motion tracking during compositing?

I made an account just to post this. I saw this EXACT thing near camp Williams, Utah (just east of it I believe) in September 2022. It was around sun down and the sun was also reflecting off of the transparent part like in the video. At the time I was so confused I took out my iPhone and used its digital zoom to take a picture. I stared at it for a minute and ended up deleting the picture because it made absolutely zero sense to me. I happened across a YouTube video today about the “meta pod” and immediately recognized it. Googled and found this thread.

Well this aint the top voted post of the month anymore :)

The post on r/UFOs about David Grusch is now the top voted posted post of all time on the sub reddit

Saw this on the reddit sub UFOs today.
It's the top voted UFO video of the month already after just 21 hours, and it is on its way to be the top voted post of all time there.

The comments show it has appeared before , once claiming it occured in Denver USA and one prior (original ?) claiming it occurred in Spain

Here is the reddit post and pertinent comment, also the oldest vid of it claiming it was in spain:

What do people think it is Balloon, CGI, something dangling on a string ?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/u0hm98/stabilised_footage_of_ufo/

1649674074780.png

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz0k04LDUVY

I don't think it is a balloon. I'm more inclined to think it is some sort of plastic or lightweight mechanical capping for some device....( it looks as though if you rotate it by 90 degrees it goes on top of something ) being carried by a helicopter. We simply don't see the helicopter because the video zooms out so quickly at the end.

And a good question to ask in all UFO videos...why does the guy stop videoing while the object is still there ? It is to me the biggest clue that the person taking the video already knows what the object is.

I don't think it is a balloon. I'm more inclined to think it is some sort of plastic or lightweight mechanical capping for some device....( it looks as though if you rotate it by 90 degrees it goes on top of something ) being carried by a helicopter. We simply don't see the helicopter because the video zooms out so quickly at the end.
The fact that it took so much stabilizing suggests to me that it's hard to focus on, so perhaps it's something much smaller, maybe twisting on a line of spider silk. Here's a photo of a butterfly cocoon. It's not uncommon for them to be translucent and shiny.
IMG_2056.jpeg

If you think it's a physical object and not CGI, you need to explain how a physical object can skate around the frame when the camera zooms out.

If you think it's a physical object and not CGI, you need to explain how a physical object can skate around the frame when the camera zooms out.

Let's assume it was not digital zoom, where the algorithm might screw up everything (no examples sadly), optically (moving lenses etc) I cannot explain that happening indeed. There is no element in a zoom process that makes the middle of a frame move as such. I was/am also on the CGI camp.

Let's assume it was not digital zoom, where the algorithm might screw up everything (no examples sadly), optically (moving lenses etc) I cannot explain that happening indeed. There is no element in a zoom process that makes the middle of a frame move as such. I was/am also on the CGI camp
Is it not possible that the zoom out coincides with the object moving? Whatever it is, if it is free to move, like a balloon or a space ship, or able to BE moved by the videographer or accomplice, like a small ornament suspended from a fishing pole, it would not be constraiend from moving just because a zoom is going on.

Back