Lights over Sacramento - Just a Plane, But what's that Beam?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Moonlight UFO.jpg

When I first saw the light it did not seem to moving I had no idea what it was. Venus maybe? Then I saw it actually was moving, so I thought it might be the International Space Stations, which had made a couple of good passes over here in the last two days. I tried to take some photos, and got some blurs like the above. I switched to video and what I saw on the view screen was a strange set of three flowering lights. When I put it on the computer though, it looked like this:
20170725-215954-devgk.jpg

It's a plane of course, and I realised that as it approached me and flew overhead. Lufthansa 459, from San Francisco to Munich. An A340, climbing through 20,000 feet. My first photo was just a pretty piece of motion blur from the camera moving. The "flowering lights" were just my old eyes being too close to the camera screen and hence out of focus.

Mystery solved. It struck me though just how many "UFO" sightings are based on single anomalous observations, when multiple observations would clear things up. For example, as I continued to film I did not see anything like this - which I saw only after I enhanced to the footage.
20170725-223237-rm8wk.jpg

Looked like the plane was shooting a laser! And from different points too.
20170725-223317-py7ot.jpg

20170725-223721-btvll.jpg

And at one point from the middle of nowhere.
20170725-223857-vnx10.jpg

That one made it obvious that it's some kind of camera glitch. It looks like it's in line with the plane, but it's actually at a pixel-perfect 45°. But if you only had the one image to go by them you could maybe convince yourself the plane was shooting lasers.

The "enhanced" footage showed something else. I stabilized it so the planes was not moving, but of course the camera was still shaking all over, and I got:

via GIPHY

Source: https://giphy.com/gifs/xTkcEOCTjukVbP5nnG/html5

The lights seemed to be leaving trails! Of course they were not, as the motion was all from the camera. But one could easily imagine someone taking a single frame of a single light with similar artifacts and then passing it off as a faint comet or rocket.

The lesson here is to take as many photos as possible, and to take both photos and video. Interpreting a light in the sky from a single image is very difficult - but given enough images you should be able to figure it out.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
J Strange lights on picture of the moon during "Blood Moon" [Stuck Pixels] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Rory Unusual line of lights seen over Baja California Sur, Mexico Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Bright Lights Behind Trees, With Roiling Glare. Panama City, Florida. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32
Mick West Unusual Light Track in Long Exposures, Grand Canyon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
8 Strange Row of Lights Under a Plane? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 42
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 42
Mick West Old USAF "UFO" Video Mentioned By Chris Mellon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 15
jarlrmai Landing lights? Can anyone id the configuration Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Strange Lights in Phone Photos - Flash Reflection from Window UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
I Flares in the Sky? [Landing Lights of Planes landing at Phoenix Airport] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
abi Lights in the sky above town lights [Lens Flares] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Andrew Gillett Explained: Squares in the sky? [Reflection of lights in a window] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mick West Red Winged UFO, Mufon case 91964 - Plane Lights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 34
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: Mexico City Earthquake Lights [Power Line Arcing and Transformer Explosions] Science and Pseudoscience 33
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
P Another photographic anomaly [Long exposure of plane lights] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailspotter UFO with navigation lights, Drone or aircraft? [Low Flying FedEx 777] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
deirdre Debunked: Jane Seymour advocates red lights for gun free homes (Satire site) General Discussion 6
M Physical Object or Camera Artifcat? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
derwoodii Debunked: Strange lights above Canberra: (Photoshop mistake) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Debunked: Airplane passenger 'takes picture of UFO that was giving off bright lights and orbs' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 28
WhiteTiger Explained: "Chemdust fallout" [Out of Focus Photos of dust, mist, lights, etc.] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
n0sweat Lights in the Sky (Swansea UK 11/10/14) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West "Strange Lights" over Hawaii [Aegis Ashore SM-3 Missile Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Robert Tankersley Debunked: Video of UFO behind a cloud, dropping flashing blue lights [Viral Marketing Hoax] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 43
November Dashed Lights Coming From the Sky [Likely long exposure + flash + flickering lights] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 92
Jarmey 657 More Strange lights in the Sky! [Short Sunlit Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 58
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West KC-135 Over Sacramento Area Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
steve holmes KC-135 Over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
steve holmes Sacramento sky trails morning Oct 7th [Normal Air Traffic] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 31
Mick West Unidentified plane heading towards Sacramento [E-6 TACAMO] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Giant Spreading Contrail Over Sacramento Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Mick West N22387 Zig-Zig flight path near Sacramento [LIDAR data collection] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Skinwalker Ranch Episode 4 UFO - Just a Plane? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West MUFON Case 105762 - White Cigar "Following" Plane (Another Plane) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Agent K Air Force E-11A Communications Aircraft Crashes And Burns In Afghanistan Current Events 7
Mick West Bright Light that "goes from the ocean to the clouds" [Plane] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Plane Shaped "Drone" Caught on Camera. Mead, NE - Cessna Caravan? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Z.W. Wolf Ukrainian Plane Crashes in Flames in Tehran - Shot Down By Iran's IRGC Current Events 43
Mick West Clinton's Flights on Epstein's Plane, the "Lolita Express", did not go to the Island Conspiracy Theories 2
Mick West Simulating the Nimitz UFO video as a blurry plane UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 51
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Raccoon 1980s Cheadle staffordshire: Plane or UFO? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mechanik Plane Image on Google Maps in Cambodia - MH370 Speculation Flight MH370 10
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Making a Ripple Across the Sun Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles