Intercept Article on David Grusch's Past - Allegations of a Smear Campaign

(Edited to add- To clarify, Mendel is quoting a Reddit user, this isn't a claim made by Mendel).

Most psychiatric illnesses don't have a definitive clinical test, e.g. you can't use an EEG (or any other piece of equipment) to diagnose depression, bipolar affective disorder or whatever in the way that an ECG can diagnose heart block or atrial fibrillation.
Context is always important. Psychiatric diagnoses can be contentious, and sometimes just plain wrong.

I'm not sure it's helpful to speculate on someone's mental state unless there is clear, attributable evidence in the public domain which might affect our interpretation of that person's behaviour.

That said, if, a hypothetical person were loosing off a firearm in a manner (and location) that attracted the attention of police, and that person stated (without humour or irony) that they were shooting at aliens, I think it would be a responsible course of action for the police to involve mental health professionals.
In the absence of substantial intoxication, organic illness or evidence supporting the hypothetical person's account of events, it might be concluded that the person's behaviours resulted from an inability to distinguish reality from unreality at that time, a psychotic episode.
This need not mean that the person will have future such episodes (although the risk is increased). However, if such a person subsequently made claims about the reality of the subject of their delusional behaviour, e.g. demons or foreign secret agents, without providing any corroborating evidence, I'm not sure it's unreasonable to be mindful of their earlier troubles.

Yeah I agree with this. I hadn't seen the claims about "shooting at aliens" when I posted what you're responding to. Though even if such a thing did occur, like you said, you simply cannot infer that the person is suffering from an episode of psychosis. You first need to rule out the usual suspects (drugs, alcohol, sleep deprivation, etc).

Well, Grusch did falsely claim the intelligence community has intentionally leaked these past mishaps albeit it was actually a FOIA request by The Intercept which they were quite transparent about.

Article:
The current research examines the novel hypothesis that individuals who are biased towards inferring intentional explanations for ambiguous actions are more likely to endorse conspiracy theories, which portray events as the exclusive product of intentional agency.

Until recently, conspiracism has been largely neglected by psychologists. However, a literature is now beginning to emerge pointing towards individual differences and cognitive factors which may be associated with endorsement of conspiracy theories, including such variables as agreeableness, authoritarianism, openness, mild paranoia, confirmation bias, the conjunction fallacy, illusory pattern perception, the proportionality bias, and projection . . .

To be fair, since the article said he never responded to their phone call, he may have simply assumed his records had been intentionally leaked because he may not have known this kind of thing was subject to FOIA. I certainly didn't know you could file FOIA requests to obtain this kind of thing. He and Coulthart probably just jumped the gun on how this info could have been obtained and assumed nefarious intent before knowing specifics.

Though given how specific these FOIA requests were, I have to wonder how this journalist would have known what to request and from where.

Actually, Grusch's IC IG whistleblower "retaliation" complaint is all about Grusch's access to secrets. This is what Grusch initially went public with, and what got him to Congress.
See https://www.metabunk.org/threads/david-gruschs-dopsr-cleared-statement-and-ig-complaint.12989/
And his complaint about being denied "access to secrets" was not a function of his security clearance, but rather of his need-to-know.

At the time, due to my extensive executive level intelligence support duties, I was cleared to literally all relevant compartments and in a position of extreme trust, both in my military and civilian capacities. I was informed in the course of my official duties of a multi decade, UAP, crash retrieval, and reverse engineering program. To which I was denied access to those additional read ons when I, requested it.
Content from External Source
https://picdataset.com/ai-news/full...-hearing-on-unidentified-anomalous-phenomena/

Though given how specific these FOIA requests were, I have to wonder how this journalist would have known what to request and from where.
He had two of Grusch's former addresses. He asked the local police department for any reports related to those addresses or Grusch. It does not seem particularly specific, other than targeting Grusch. It was fishing.

Article:
We respectfully request all CADs, Calls for service, Call Detail Records, Incident History Reports, and related police reports for the following addresses and timeframes:
[addresses]
We additionally request all records related to David Grush as either a witness, victim, suspect or 911 complainant at any address from January 1, 2013 to July 30, 2023.

However it's interesting that Coulthart made such a significant error in reporting what was happening.

Coulthart was completely wrong about the source of the information and immediately jumped to "government coverup" without evidence. Really makes me wonder how much of his other UFO / Grusch / conspiracy reporting can be considered reliable.

He had two of Grusch's former addresses. He asked the local police department for any reports related to those addresses or Grusch. It does not seem particularly specific, other than targeting Grusch. It was fishing.

Article:
We respectfully request all CADs, Calls for service, Call Detail Records, Incident History Reports, and related police reports for the following addresses and timeframes:
[addresses]
We additionally request all records related to David Grush as either a witness, victim, suspect or 911 complainant at any address from January 1, 2013 to July 30, 2023.
Sure, but there is fishing and then there is fishing in a specific pond you know has been stocked.

Could've been as simple as a then neighbor of Grusch's contacting the journalists with a vague memory of what happened. It's not a secret.

Article:
[addresses]
So how did they get those addresses? It's clearly a cheap hit piece, the way it is written.

Grush, in a period when he was suffering from stress and depression, drank a little too much and said stupid things. Duh.. so he's a human being.. How many of you have never been drunk and then said stupid things? His wife was concerned about him and called for help. So what? It does not change anything to his case. It only shows he is indeed exposing sensitive things, sensitive enough for people to write these cheap hit pieces. Metabunk should focus on his claims, and not give any oxygen to this kind of personal attacks.

Maybe some of you got traumatized as a child due to fears of being abducted by aliens and this drives your debunking efforts. How would you like it if this was used against you to question your psychological sanity and your rationality? If debunkers want to lead by example they should stay away from cheap ad hominem attacks like this.

Grush, in a period when he was suffering from stress and depression, drank a little too much and said stupid things. Duh.. so he's a human being.. How many of you have never been drunk and then said stupid things?
I'm not an alcoholic, and I don't hold a security clearance.
Article:
SECURITY CONCERN

The adjudicative guidelines state that “Excessive alcohol consumption often leads to the exercise of questionable judgment or the failure to control impulses, and can raise questions about an individual’s reliability and trustworthiness.” Simply stated, alcohol abusers are more likely than others to engage in careless or impulsive behavior that can create an increased risk of unauthorized disclosure of classified information.

EVALUATING ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION

When does drinking become a security concern? Alcohol is legal and its consumption, regardless of quantity, does not by itself trigger a security concern. Alcohol consumption becomes a concern when there has been:

• Alcohol-related incident or other evidence of impaired judgment or misconduct while under the influence of alcohol.
• Negative impact on work/school performance, finances, personal or professional relationships.
• [...]

MITIGATING SECURITY CONCERNS

The following conditions may mitigate alcohol consumption concerns:

• Problem is not serious. A single recent alcohol-related incident (or even two incidents spaced a few years apart) may not suggest a serious alcohol problem, provided there has not been a diagnosis of alcohol abuse or dependence and there are no other indicators of current abuse or dependence.
• [...]

Not seeking help for his suicidal ideations might have posed a mental health concern.

And if he tried to hide either of these, it can be held against him, too.

We do not know how open Grush was about these incidents.

So how did they get those addresses?
Public databases. There's traces in the free ones, and journalists probably pay for more detailed background checks on people. There's other articles online digging into his background. There is one which talks about his wife and other personal details, and a photo from his wedding. (which I will not link to)

Grush tried to scrub his past from the internet before going public, but he has an unusual name, so it's easy to find things, like in real-estate records.

Maybe some of you got traumatized as a child due to fears of being abducted by aliens and this drives your debunking efforts. How would you like it if this was used against you to question your psychological sanity and your rationality? If debunkers want to lead by example they should stay away from cheap ad hominem attacks like this.
If you're going to chastise us for being insensitive about mental health, maybe don't make jokes about PTSD.
Grush, in a period when he was suffering from stress and depression, drank a little too much and said stupid things. Duh.. so he's a human being.. How many of you have never been drunk and then said stupid things? His wife was concerned about him and called for help. So what? It does not change anything to his case. It only shows he is indeed exposing sensitive things, sensitive enough for people to write these cheap hit pieces. Metabunk should focus on his claims, and not give any oxygen to this kind of personal attacks.
I feel like most posters agree with you in this thread. Very few of us, if any, are saying Grusch's mental capacities are diminished. Depression and PTSD and alcoholism aren't the reason why he is exposing sensitive things, most of the people in this thread agree there.

As far as I'm concerned, Grusch's mental health is his own business. I don't care if he discloses this or not. No one should fish for that information, and the fact that he experienced suicidality has nothing to do with what he's exposing. He's a public figure, though, and like any other public figure, skeevy journalists are going to rake muck. It's gross, he deserves better, and I genuinely wish the best for him right now, but it is very easy to find this information out.

edit: grammar

Last edited:
How many of you have never been drunk and then said stupid things?
Me, probably loads of times.
But never anything that would cause anyone to call the police.

Edited to add: Oh, thanks deirdre. I didn't realise that drinking alcohol without causing alarm or social problems was contentious.

Last edited:
I expect someone in Congress to start asking questions about how the DoD adjudicates security clearance issues.

We do not have evidence that Grusch is a stooge.
We do not have evidence that PTSD or autism leads people to be more easily conned (or do we?).
From personal experience, and having been diagnosed in adult life as Autistic, (although that one word is used as catch all for a huge scale of abilities and cognitive function) I'd say that Autistic people tend to focus on detail, and not the bigger picture and therefore are more likely to analyse and pick apart any complicated story, and in my limited experience, and fault lines are met with a stubborn 'No', relying on cold hard facts, and not emotional connection.
We need to be very careful about dismissing autists as delusional 'nutters', Its thought that Alan Turing was probably autistic, so it can be a source of genius too!
I'd be interested if there have been studies done and whether my thoughts are on the right track. :)

Last edited:
that was from March. and we already knew all that stuff.

It doesn't matter that it was from March. And it doesn't matter that you already "knew all that stuff". The point I was making is self-evident by the context of the conversation. This is a very stupid thing to spend any time disagreeing about.

From personal experience, and having been diagnosed in adult life as Autistic, (although that one word is used as catch all for a huge scale of abilities and cognitive function) I'd say that Autistic people tend to focus on detail, and not the bigger picture and therefore are more likely to analyse and pick apart any complicated story, and in my limited experience, and fault lines are met with a stubborn 'No', relying on cold hard facts, and not emotional connection.
We need to be very careful about dismissing autists as delusional 'nutters', Its thought that Alan Turing was probably autistic, so it can be a source of genius too!
I'd be interested if there have been studies done and whether my thoughts are on the right track. :)

You are on the right track. Folks on the spectrum are not "delusional nutters", not even remotely. Autism is a spectrum disorder with massive variability in its presentation from person to person, so quite frankly, simply knowing that someone "is autistic" tells you very little about that person because of the sheer range of ways that condition manifests itself from individual to individual.

There are no mental illnesses that make a person "nuts" by default. Even individuals who experience delusional disorder tend to be perfectly normal in almost every facet of their lives except for the one area related to their specific delusion. I've worked with individuals who were perfectly "normal" and "sane" in every single aspect you can measure except for one weird quirk: said individual had become convinced at some point that their left arm and leg were amputated and replaced by perfect replicas, down to the nano-level. They were indistinguishable from the originals, but the individual was convinced the limbs they currently made use of are not really "theirs".

That's it. That's the delusion. It's obviously strange, it's hard to understand why or how someone would arrive at such a wild belief, but this belief was so compartmentalized and segmented away from the rest of this person's every day life that it wasn't a belief even worth "treating" in any therapeutic sense, since said belief didn't cause clinically significant distress of any kind.

People who hear voices are not "nuts" either. They just hear voices. Something that isn't very uncommon in the general population. It only becomes a problem when the content of the voices is distressing. If the voices start telling you things like "you're worthless", "kill yourself", "don't trust them", etc, that's when they tend to seek help because of the distressing nature of constantly hearing such things. There are plenty of other people who hear voices who live perfectly normal lives with them. Some such individuals are "psychics" who interpret the voices they hear in their own uniquely spiritual way. These voices are welcome and found to be helpful by psychics, who tend to regard them as spiritual advisors of some kind.
It's what the voices say that leads to clinically significant distress in many cases. If you're distressed by the voices, then you seek help for them. If you find them helpful, like psychics do, then you don't meet any diagnostic criteria even though you're experiencing auditory hallucinations. The point is the mere presence of a diagnosis tells you very little about a person. Every diagnosis has wide variability in presentation. I've never met two individuals with schizophrenia whose symptoms were identical with each other. Same for PTSD. I've worked with Vietnam vets who for 40 years have never had a single good night's sleep because they're frequently tormented by flashbacks while they sleep and wake up in a state of hypervigilance, believing they're still in a combat encounter.

Other veterans I've worked with struggle less with night time flashbacks and more with active daytime ones, or survivors guilt, or flashbacks triggered by certain sounds. There are too many variations to list. But PTSD isn't a thought disorder, it's a stress disorder. It doesn't destroy your ability to distinguish what is real and what isn't like psychotic disorders can. PTSD is characterized by a persistent state of autonomic nervous system activation. You're always in fight or flight mode, so even though your mind fully recognizes you're not in danger, your body does not. But none of this has any bearing on someone's inability to reason, weigh evidence, and do all the things Grusch was tasked with doing in his job. And furthermore, it is curable. It is one of the few conditions in the DSM that one can recover from without any medication.

People's utter ignorance about what it means to have a mental health disorder is what lends these kinds of accusations the ability to be weaponized.

There is nothing about these claims about Grusch that have any bearing whatsoever on his credibility, his character, or the truth/falsehood of his claims. The truth or falsehood of his claims can only be determined by the evidence, or lack of evidence, available for said claims. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, about a person's having PTSD that is going to give you any kind of meaningful psychological insight into why they believe what they do with regards to special access programs and crash retrieval programs.

As a skeptic, and as a mental health practitioner who works with extremely acute and untreated mental illness in the criminal justice system, there is just nothing in this story that should be of interest to anyone but his family, closest friends, and his therapist. And the sooner we leave this behind the better we'll all be for it.

Last edited:
We need to be very careful about dismissing autists as delusional 'nutters'

Totally. We shouldn't be using any disparaging or pejorative terms for illnesses, disability or different ways of thinking here.

I think I broadly agree with Amathia's post #100, but with a mild caveat that there are mental illnesses that can affect aspects of someone's behaviour or understanding of the world around them in a negative way, and sometimes this might make a sufferer unsuitable for some kinds of work. (Just a general point, I'm not alluding to anyone being discussed on this thread).

A bigger picture question......

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed? As far as we know, his medical records were not leaked and the claims are not false.

Maybe something like "Impact of David Grusch's Legal and Medical Issues on His UAP Claims."

what claims arent false?

the claims are "medical records" [no] "were leaked" [no] by "the intelligence community" [no]
"Intelligence community" is not mentioned in the title. So far as we know, no medical records (as in HIPAA violations) were leaked. Legally obtained (through FOIA) LE records were published in the free press. The information from those police reports is true according to the official source from which they're legally obtained. What part of the title of this thread accurately reflects those factual statements?

The crux of the discussion here today has been how these factors should impact how his claims are viewed/debunked here. Feel free to offer up a suggestion for a thread title you believe is more accurate.

The crux of the discussion here today has been how these factors should impact how his claims are viewed/debunked here.
that's because noone ever stays on topic anymore :)

This is a debunking site. The claim that needs debunking is that 1. medical records 2. were leaked 3. by the IC.

(of course it wouldnt have needed to be debunked if OP waited for the Intercept article came out. I kinda doubt the OP posted this thread so y'all could discuss how his drunk episodes and suicidal thoughts should impact how his claims are viewed. But maybe that was his intention. ?? )

@Duke

oh wait are you reading the title as " False Claims about David Grusch's Medical Records are being Leaked" ?
yea i can see how that wording would be a bit confusing.

maybe
Debunked: IC leaked Grusch's medical records.

Actually, Grusch's IC IG whistleblower "retaliation" complaint is all about Grusch's access to secrets. This is what Grusch initially went public with, and what got him to Congress.
See https://www.metabunk.org/threads/david-gruschs-dopsr-cleared-statement-and-ig-complaint.12989/

Indeed. And whether based on real or imagined retaliation, it seems uncontestable -- given his original ICIG complaint, his Coulthard interview, his congressional testimony and even his this week's initial incorrect suspicions about the IC being behind the leaks on his "PTSD" incidents -- that Grusch is prone to suspecting a lot of 'retaliatory' moves from the DoD and USG. This is also a very well-known narrative in ufology, painted as persecution that affects any and all leakers, whistleblowers and knowers of secrets. Ufologist journalists such as Coulthard and Kean are deliberately, and effectively, fomenting this narrative further.

We do not need to be psychologists to understand the above behavioural pattern from all that's happened thus far. Hence, I disagree with the stronger position propounded by some posters that we can't state anything psychological yet evidence-based about Grusch amongst the MBers, and that all that we could possibly say is irrelevant or impolite or both. 'Seeing retaliation everywhere' is evidence-based. And it's psychological. And it's easy for most everyone following the 'case' to see without having to be a professional psychologist.

But I wholeheartedly agree that we can't make such statements to denigrate anyone, nor can we carry out a professional, scientifically credible, diagnosis on anyone's possible underlying conditions at MB for both ethical and qualificational reasons.

Bashing Grusch's person is totally unacceptable but neither should we fall for naive pity elicited by calculated pity-fishing because a person has suffered mentally for whatever reasons. To make oneself a public figure is to also accept some public criticism of behaviours that genuinely seem like a major distraction for the US Congress and the American people.

Since we're not in the position to pronounce any professional judgment on Grusch's psychological 'issues', then, just as we can't state Grusch's past substance-abuse mishaps involving the police to be relevant to his congressional testimony, we also cannot confidently declare without knowing the full details that they are of no relevance, for the latter is also making a strong psychological judgment without qualifications and full data. Just because it's the 'kinder' judgment doesn't make it any more justified or true.

We can only state we don't know and leave it at that.

Last edited:
If you're going to chastise us for being insensitive about mental health, maybe don't make jokes about PTSD.

I feel like most posters agree with you in this thread. Very few of us, if any, are saying Grusch's mental capacities are diminished. Depression and PTSD and alcoholism aren't the reason why he is exposing sensitive things, most of the people in this thread agree there.

As far as I'm concerned, Grusch's mental health is his own business. I don't care if he discloses this or not. No one should fish for that information, and the fact that he experienced suicidality has nothing to do with what he's exposing. He's a public figure, though, and like any other public figure, skeevy journalists are going to rake muck. It's gross, he deserves better, and I genuinely wish the best for him right now, but it is very easy to find this information out.

edit: grammar
For what it's worth, Klippenstein isn't normally regarded as a skeevy journalist - and in my personal opinion he tends to make good reporting choices.

That said... I don't know how I feel about this one. I can imagine several scenarios varying from quite defensible and completely reprehensible. I hope at the very least there is more background to come on what the thought process was editorially. I'd rather know than not know, but it doesn't have much impact on my opinions towards Grusch.

Also he's not someone without bias, and on Twitter is either extremely funny, or a big mean doo-doo head depending on who your heroes are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Klippenstein

interesting
Article:
Use of the Freedom of Information Act[edit]
Klippenstein is a self-described "FOIA nerd"; much of his journalism draws on information he has uncovered from records requested at state and national levels of the US government.[14] He invites individuals to leak information to him via the encrypted messaging service Signal.[15]

His articles also frequently include information from leaked documents.[16]

so if Grusch called the sheriff and the sheriff misinformed Grusch about an FOIA request (because why would the sheriff know if an FOIA had been filed), seeing this wiki write up might lead one to believe Klippenstein is prone to using leaks.

interesting
Article:
Use of the Freedom of Information Act[edit]
Klippenstein is a self-described "FOIA nerd"; much of his journalism draws on information he has uncovered from records requested at state and national levels of the US government.[14] He invites individuals to leak information to him via the encrypted messaging service Signal.[15]

His articles also frequently include information from leaked documents.[16]

so if Grusch called the sheriff and the sheriff misinformed Grusch about an FOIA request (because why would the sheriff know if an FOIA had been filed), seeing this wiki write up might lead one to believe Klippenstein is prone to using leaks.
I doubt this because phrase being used was "medical records" - which by nature would not be stored at the Sheriff's Department:

Source: https://youtu.be/sWUsFn0Wmwg

Also, the Sheriff's office would have known about the FOIA per the Intercept:

The records were not confidential, medical, nor leaked. They are publicly available law enforcement records obtained under a routine Virginia FOIA request to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and provided by the office’s FOIA coordinator. Copies of The Intercept’s correspondence with the sheriff’s office are being published with this story.
It's possible the Sheriff Office's FOIA coordinator didn't speak with the Sheriff's Office but I wouldn't make that particular leap without further confirmation.

It's possible the Sheriff Office's FOIA coordinator didn't speak with the Sheriff's Office but I wouldn't make that particular leap without further confirmation.
Coulhart said Grusch spoke to the sheriff (not the Sheriff's office) and the sheriff said ' it didnt come from me'.

The FOIA coordinator has a completely different physical address than either of the two sheriff's offices. and it's a leap to think police records are not computerized now. (I emailed her and asked, will let you know.)

Either way the above attempt to (make up stuff) and paint Grusch as prone to 'Seeing retaliation everywhere' ..is the leap.

I believe Grusch contacted the sheriff before making is accusations. I believe the sheriff said no. I believe Grusch had a reasonable assumption that a leak was involved.

I doubt this because phrase being used was "medical records"
a record of a hospital intake is technically A (single) medical record. I do think Coulhart was wrong to phrase it with the more dramatic "medical records".

Loudoun County/Population
427,592 (2021)

My usage of "small" wasn't meant as a comparison to the average county-size. The US population is over 300 million. Grusch is national news. Any FOIA request on Grusch by a journalist is bound to be noticed in a "small" county as compared to the wider public and national scoop stories.

For what it's worth, Klippenstein isn't normally regarded as a skeevy journalist - and in my personal opinion he tends to make good reporting choices.
Remember, Coulthard and Grusch were the ones who made this about Grusch's PTSD and depression. They also chose to base Grusch's evidence-free testimony on "let's trust this highly decorated guy of impeccable character", which is a propaganda move.
Article:
DG-1-765x1024.jpeg.jpg

Sean Kirkpatrick challenges Grusch's testimony on the "no evidence" angle, which is good, but only goes so far when the claim really rests on Grusch's character.

To challenge a person's character by citing past law-enforcement run-ins is the standard repertoire of every prosecutor in court. That's what Klippenstein probably hoped to find, and that's what he published on.

Should he have done that when it turned out Grusch didn't actually break any laws? Is the security clearance angle enough to justify the publication? Perhaps not.

But to say that nobody can challenge Grusch's character when that's all his testimony rests on doesn't feel right to me, either.
(Remember, too, that Coulthard was quick to falsely impugn the journalist's character!)

And finally: Klippenstein has shown evidence; Grusch has not.

"wake up in a state of hypervigilance, believing they're still in a combat encounter."
"It doesn't destroy your ability to distinguish what is real and what isn't"
As worded, these seem to contradict each other. (Had you used "feeling" instead of "believing" I'd not have raised this, because, as you mention it's the SNS that's unnecessarily active (again, your terminology was not as accurate as it could have been, it's not all of the ANS, else they'd have permanent boner too - the PSNS is part of the ANS too.).)

Either way the above attempt to (make up stuff) and paint Grusch as prone to 'Seeing retaliation everywhere' ..is the leap.

It would be a leap if publicly available evidence thus far did not consistently show that he does:

Grusch's DOSPR-cleared statement dated 4 April 2023:

Article:
Once I started digging, interviewing witnesses, asking senior government mentors of mine what was really going on here, unexpected doors started to open and others were brutally shut in my face, Many powerful officials were unhappy I was asking these questions. . .

Grusch interview with le Parisien, 7 June 2023:

Article:
Int.: You state in your complaint that you suffered reprisals after alerting the Department of Defense Inspector General in 2021. What is this about?

D.G.: They tried to attack my security clearance, they made allegations of misconduct against me, things of that nature. To protect the ongoing investigation on my behalf, I can't give too many details. I think in a few months I'll be able to.

Int.: Do you fear for your life?

D.G: At one time, there were threats of this nature.

Grusch's opening statement at the congressional hearing on 26 July 2023:

Article:
I made the decision based on the data I collected, to report this information to my superiors and multiple Inspectors General, and in effect become a whistleblower.

As you know, I have suffered retaliation for my decision. But I am hopeful that my actions will ultimately lead to a positive outcome of increased transparency.

Grusch's words during the congressional hearing on 26 July 2023:

Article:
The whistleblower former intelligence official David Grusch says he faced “very brutal and very unfortunate” retaliation after he went public with his allegations.

In light of the above pattern of experiencing reprisals (whether subjective or objectively true), Grusch's statement to NewNation on 9 August 2023 summarized by newcaster (at 0.29), and since shown to be inaccurate, would be consistent with it and demonstrates misplaced suspicion:

"Somebody has leaked his private medical records, he believes it was someone in the intelligence community."

A bigger picture question......

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed? As far as we know, his medical records were not leaked and the claims are not false.

Maybe something like "Impact of David Grusch's Legal and Medical Issues on His UAP Claims."

"The claims" is ambiguous:

Claims about "David Grusch's Medical Records being Leaked" are indeed false - we have the evidence: a FOIA request.
"Claims about David Grusch's Medical Records", as in what medical issues they refer to, appear not to be false - we have the evidence: what's in the FOIA response.

The title definitely could be improved.

Your modification, alas, brings a third set of claims into the mix - David's own ones - and might be half of what's actually been discussed, but that definitely been thread drift.

To challenge a person's character by citing past law-enforcement run-ins is the standard repertoire of every prosecutor in court.

That would be congaing though a minefield:

Rule 404. Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts
(b) Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts.

(1) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of any other crime, wrong, or act is not admissible to prove a person’s character in order to show that on a particular occasion the person acted in accordance with the character.
-- https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_404

Back