Incorrect clocks in Biden tweet

Alphadunk

It looks like a case of conspiracy theorists ignoring available information. If you compare all six clocks, it turns out that the Moscow clock is simply wrong.image.jpeg
Cropped, from https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-camp-david-afghanistan-taliban-republican-criticism :
image.jpeg

??:?? Washington DC
16:03 London
19:03 Moscow
19:33 Tehran
23:03 Beijing
00:03 Seoul
Content from External Source
Three of these locations don't have daylight savings time:
Article:
Seoul currently observes Korea Standard Time (KST) all year.
DST is no longer in use.
Clocks do not change in Seoul, South Korea.
The previous DST change in Seoul was on 9. Oktober 1988.

Article:
Beijing Municipality currently observes China Standard Time (CST) all year.
DST is no longer in use.
Clocks do not change in Beijing Municipality.
The previous DST change in Beijing Municipality was on 15. September 1991.

Article:
Moscow currently observes Moscow Standard Time (MSK) all year.
DST is no longer in use.
Clocks do not change in Moscow.
The previous DST change in Moscow was on 31. Oktober 2010.

Correct time zones as of today: London GMT+1 (DST), Moscow GMT+3, Tehran GMT+4.5 (DST), Beijing GMT+8, Seoul GMT+9.

It's obvious that the clocks for Beijing and Seoul are consistent with Washington, London, and Tehran, so this picture was taken during DST in the US, UK, and Iran; the Moscow time is simply wrong.

Last edited:
Looks like 13:37 to me too but I think the picture is playing tricks on us. Afghanistan is 4.5 hours ahead of UTC (zulu) time so it probably says 19:37, the upper segment of the 1 and the upper left segment of the 9 blending into each other, making the 9 appear like a 3.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The compression algorithm may not help here...

It's fun to think about the possibility of a segment being burnt out, turning the 9 into a 3, because that could also cause the display 19:03 in the Biden picture to really be the correct 18:03 with a segment dark that should be lit.

huh. youre right the 8 is just a 9 with a little added bit
1629143993550.png

The other fun thing to ponder is which kind of person would notice the London-Moscow time discrepancy, discard two easy-to-find explanations for it, and then go "let's see if we can troll some MAGA people with this". In my experience, people in the US aren't really aware of what time zone Russia is in, but most everyone else (especially juvenile gamers) in any other country knows their own offset to the US and UK if they have any contact there.
So the most plausible, obvious originator of this bit of misdirection is in fact a Russian troll.

So the most plausible, obvious originator of this bit of misdirection is in fact a Russian troll.

MAGA people already know that most of the trolls have not come from Russia. I would suggest "foreign troll", so you are at least not dismissed outright.

The real question is, "who cares if Biden is in Camp David or not? Is Afghanistan in a better position if Biden was getting briefed at home (Delaware) or in the White House?"

edit add: i guess the Washington Examiner (conservative newspaper) cares
Article:
President Joe Biden’s brief visit to the White House yesterday to deliver a speech blaming Afghan officials for the fall of their nation to the Taliban cost taxpayers at least $30,000.

The main added cost came from Marine One’s rushed round-trip from Camp David, where the president has been vacationing since last weekend.

Last edited:
The real question is, "who cares if Biden is in Camp David or not?

I saw a few people taking the angle that this proves the administration does photo-ops like this ahead of time because they can't count on Biden to keep things together long enough to do it live. That seems to be a common theme among the anti-Biden MAGA crowd, always questioning his cognitive abilities and whatnot.

Although I think one could make the argument that doing photos ahead of time is a good idea regardless.

Although I think one could make the argument that doing photos ahead of time is a good idea regardless.
I don't think so; can you cite support?
The one thing you need to ahead of time are obituary photos; and press photos for entertainment events. The two things... [insert Spanish Inquisition]

Pictures of history should be taken when it happens, or shortly after. Leave predictions to magicians.

I don't think so; can you cite support?
The one thing you need to ahead of time are obituary photos; and press photos for entertainment events. The two things... [insert Spanish Inquisition]

Pictures of history should be taken when it happens, or shortly after. Leave predictions to magicians.
"Should" and "history" are two words that may not appear in a political organization's Handbook of What Pictures to Take, though. Personally, FWIW and based on my previous career working with politicians, I don't think there would be any problem taking a picture like the one in this thread live, though you might take it a moment in advance or a moment after things get going, to get the intrusive photographer out of the room when people are working. And I am sure WH photographers are aware that they are documenting history as well as feeding the media/campaign. But at the end of the day the purpose is to get good pics in which your candidate (and every elected official is a candidate until they say otherwise) and staff look good, doing stuff.

Now if the pictures are taken by the pool photographer for the media, that's a whole different ball of fish -- they won't engage in that sort of stuff, pre-enactments or re-enactments won't fly there.

And none of that speaks to "Biden is not really President" since political workers doing what political workers do would be expected around real Presidents!

because they can't count on Biden to keep things together long enough to do it live.
they can't count on him to sit in a chair and doodle on a piece of paper? or look pensively at the people on screen (even if he's just trying to figure out who they are or he's waiting for Dora the Explorer to come on)? sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Back