How Can Highly Trained Military Pilots Possibly Misinterpret Things They See?

I never jumped to "aliens" when I had my first experience. I thought of mundane explanations first; reflection, fighter jets in formation, etc.
Hmm; I've read your account, elsewhere, as you know; as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be anything about it that is inconsistent with a formation of jets seen under unusual circumstances. But this thread is about pilot misperceptions, while you were in a car. Similar circumstances, but not completely relevant.

Hmm; I've read your account, elsewhere, as you know; as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be anything about it that is inconsistent with a formation of jets seen under unusual circumstances. But this thread is about pilot misperceptions, while you were in a car. Similar circumstances, but not completely relevant.
Well, that's not what they were, and you clearly have not read the other accounts of the same objects. There is nothing about hovering stationary round objects or their behavior that would suggest fighter jets, or planes of any sort. We have strongly disagreed about a number of your "identifications" in the past too. I stand by those other objections to those, every one.
Imagine if they were jets (looked and flew like them), dont you think a formation of jets like that flying over McMinnville during the UFO festival would have been a big deal? The Blue Angels flying in bizarre aircraft?
with debunking, I'd think it intellectually dishonest to shoehorn everything into the most likely explanation and slam the door on it.
So you are ignored. I admire many of your contributions, but we disagree on basic approach, unfortunately. You do seem like a good person generally, I might add.
I also stand by my accounts, and am happy to take any kind of test, regarding them.
I've taken a college class on weather; I'm familiar with the varieties of electrical phenomena and understand how weather works. There is no conventional explanation for the objects I've seen or the circumstances I saw them in. Not for the other folks either who saw them a bit later, according to their accounts.

Last edited:
Well, that's not what they were, and you clearly have not read the other accounts of the same objects. There is nothing about hovering stationary round objects or their behavior that would suggest fighter jets, or planes of any sort. We have strongly disagreed about a number of your "identifications" in the past too. I stand by those other objections to those, every one.
Imagine if they were jets (looked and flew like them), dont you think a formation of jets like that flying over McMinnville during the UFO festival would have been a big deal? The Blue Angels flying in bizarre aircraft?
with debunking, I'd think it intellectually dishonest to shoehorn everything into the most likely explanation and slam the door on it.
So you are ignored. I admire many of your contributions, but we disagree on basic approach, unfortunately. You do seem like a good person generally, I might add.
I also stand by my accounts, and am happy to take any kind of test, regarding them.
I've taken a college class on weather; I'm familiar with the varieties of electrical phenomena and understand how weather works. There is no conventional explanation for the objects I've seen or the circumstances I saw them in. Not for the other folks either who saw them a bit later, according to their accounts.
This is off topic. The topic is "How Can Highly Trained Military Pilots Possibly Misinterpret Things They See?"

The occasional hoax notwithstanding, most experiences are real.
We do disagree on what caused the experience.
Compare: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/a-fun-story-about-helicopters-and-the-ufo-thought-process.13321/
Sure.
Parts of "UFOlogy" are trying to get recognized by the US government, and in order to be taken seriously, they're trying to present themselves as scientific and credible. That means they're trying to distance themselves from the "UFO in my backyard" folks and push people with military credentials, because that's a bonus in US politics.
Absolutely, and most of them are just trying to get attention, if you are referring to certain bloggers, pundits, etc. However, regardless of what UFOs are at the end of the day, military personnel are reporting them regularly and folks who have had access to classified information from Avril Haines to Bill Nelson to the former Chief Engineer at Wright Patterson to Obama, and Bush jr. to name but a few have made noises about UFOs possibly not being something made by humans.
I maintain that nobody, "UFO expert" or layperson, has ever seen a genuine extraterrestrial craft, and for that reason, "UFO experts" can't exist in the sense that experts in other fields do. As you have noted, "UFO expert" denotes anyone who can talk about UFOs.
Well it sounds --like Eburacum, that you have a priori made up your mind in advance about UFOs --they can't exist, so every bit of evidence must be fake. As I told him before, that isn't science...

Well it sounds --like Eburacum, that you have a priori made up your mind in advance about UFOs --they can't exist, so every bit of evidence must be fake. As I told him before, that isn't science...
You've got to admit, every claim for which we have sufficient evidence has been debunked. Every single one. The rest are in the LIZ and thus unidentifiable, and of course that includes every one for which the only record is anecdotal. There has never been an event or a piece of matériel that proved to be supernatural, or extraterrestrial, or alien. The odds are overwhelmingly with the naysayers.

That is a paraphrase, you're putting words in @Mendel's mouth. Quote him exactly, with sufficient context, and link to it. If you can't find a quote where he says what you claim - an absolute "can't exist", that means that you have told an untruth, and untruths are definitely neither science nor acceptable rhetoric.

There has never been an event or a piece of matériel that proved to be supernatural, or extraterrestrial, or alien. The odds are overwhelmingly with the naysayers.
I don't know that you can definitively say that that hasn't happened; you can say that you have never seen any physical testable evidence.
I think there is the tendency among many skeptics to get to a point where they suggest that all future evidence is, a priori fake, because UFOs cannot exist, because we haven't found evidence for them yet --a kind of circular reasoning. There are good pictures of UFOs, including the Trent photos, but these are all lumped into the "most likely a hoax" "find the closest mundane explanation and hammer it onto the event" kind of approach.
Actually, I'd bet that if physical evidence was found, or an announcement made by the president or the Director of National Intelligence, many skeptics would not believe until they themselves had tested things to their satisfaction --even if the material was unavailable for national security reasons.

That is a paraphrase, you're putting words in @Mendel's mouth. Quote him exactly, with sufficient context, and link to it. If you can't find a quote where he says what you claim - an absolute "can't exist", that means that you have told an untruth, and untruths are definitely neither science nor acceptable rhetoric
"I maintain that nobody, "UFO expert" or layperson, has ever seen a genuine extraterrestrial craft"

I maintain that nobody, "UFO expert" or layperson, has ever seen a genuine extraterrestrial craft, and for that reason, "UFO experts" can't exist in the sense that experts in other fields do. As you have noted, "UFO expert" denotes anyone who can talk about UFOs.
Compare the ufologist to a paleontologist.
The paleontologist studied paleontology in college. There is no UFO college.
The paleontologist dug up fossils, studied them at leisure, and compared them to other fossils. The UFOlogist has nothing which they can study.

If you believe the lore, the only true ufologists are the ones reverse-engineering crash-landed saucers, but they don't talk. (e.g. https://www.metabunk.org/threads/bi...n-bodies-ebos-exo-biospheric-organisms.13031/ )

"I maintain that nobody, "UFO expert" or layperson, has ever seen a genuine extraterrestrial craft"
Yes. There is no evidence for it, so it's a good working hypothesis that stands uncontradicted. Note that this does not cover the future.
I think there is the tendency among many skeptics to get to a point where they suggest that all future evidence is, a priori fake, because UFOs cannot exist, because we haven't found evidence for them yet --a kind of circular reasoning.
Compare my (and other members') contributions in https://www.metabunk.org/threads/wh...are-real-and-are-or-have-been-on-earth.13253/ .

I don't know that you can definitively say that that hasn't happened; you can say that you have never seen any physical testable evidence.
I haven't said it never happened. I said that it has never been proved. I just know that the huge number of mistakes, misinterpretations, and hoaxes that have been uncovered make it perfectly reasonable that those are the first things we look for in each new UFO claim. We would be remiss to immediately jump to "Gee, golly, THIS one is the extraterrestrial smoking gun!" without first thoroughly checking out the usual suspects.

As for anecdotal evidence, it is what it is, and considering how much we know about stories that have changed with time, there is no more substance to be mined for further analysis, nor is there likely to be.

Compare the ufologist to a paleontologist.
The paleontologist studied paleontology in college. There is no UFO college.
The paleontologist dug up fossils, studied them at leisure, and compared them to other fossils. The UFOlogist has nothing which they can study.
Ufologists generally study the history of the phenomenon --as I have by going through old article databases with a fine-tooth comb, looking for similarities in accounts, or corroborative sightings.
Circumstantial evidence is evidence, and is used in courts of law to great effect; hard physical evidence is not always forthcoming.
As many skeptics completely throw out eyewitness testimony as being unreliable --even from those witnesses who were quite close to the phenomenon / have had corroborating sightings from other witnesses.

I haven't said it never happened. I said that it has never been proved. I just know that the huge number of mistakes, misinterpretations, and hoaxes that have been uncovered make it perfectly reasonable that those are the first things we look for in each new UFO claim. We would be remiss to immediately jump to "Gee, golly, THIS one is the extraterrestrial smoking gun!" without first thoroughly checking out the usual suspects.

As for anecdotal evidence, it is what it is, and considering how much we know about stories that have changed with time, there is no more substance to be mined for further analysis, nor is there likely to be.
There are many accounts, some quite old that describe objects very similar to what is being reported today. Here is an example.
At the end of the day, I'm okay with your investigative premise that UFOs aren't real; the truth will be the truth --it just might take a while. And I am not being sarcastic when I say I think you folks are providing a valuable service! There are so many folks who believe ridiculous things about UFOs and then there are the paper mache alien corpse folks...

BTW, did you folks ever come up with a good explanation for the Lubbock Lights?

Last edited:
Ufologists generally study the history of the phenomenon
no, they can't, because the "UFO phenomenon" is undefined

there is just no way to tell which part of the lore describe ufos and which don't , except for the many incidents which were thought to describe ufos but were then debunked.

it's like a paleontologist would study a haphazard pile of rocks and call it "studying fossils": there may be some actual fossils among those rocks, but as long as you can't identify them, all you can say is that you're studying rocks—but that does not make you a paleontologist.

If you're an expert in UFO reports, you're some kind of sociologist.
There is no expert on UFOs.

There are many accounts, some quite old that describe objects very similar to what is being reported today.
You can study accounts.
But you do not know if you're studying an account of a genuine UFO or not.
And if it's not, are you still a UFOlogist?

Where else can you call yourself a Thing X expert by never actually studying Thing X? Only in UFOlogy!

You can study accounts.
But you do not know if you're studying an account of a genuine UFO or not.
And if it's not, are you still a UFOlogist?

Where else can you call yourself a Thing X expert by never actually studying Thing X? Only in UFOlogy!
Hehe.. It does seem to be that way! Perhaps "UFO historian" or "researcher" might make more sense. Hoaxes and unexplained cases both are part of UFO history.

You seem to be confused. It isn't up to skeptics to explain what something isn't, although we are free to speculate. It's up to the believers to explain what it is, and bring the receipts.

A bit off-topic by me;

As many skeptics completely throw out eyewitness testimony as being unreliable --even from those witnesses who were quite close to the phenomenon / have had corroborating sightings from other witnesses.
You're right that skeptics shouldn't dismiss eyewitness reports out of hand- and I find many reports of UFOs, cryptids, ghosts interesting (and entertaining) even if I don't think they necessarily represent what the claimants believe they do, but in the absence of other evidence they remain eyewitness reports of (arguably) improbable phenomena.

We know that many sightings of UFOs are cases of mistaken identity; that some famous sightings (and reports of meetings with aliens) which UFO enthusiasts and sympathetic authors supported for years have been shown to be hoaxes; some famous cases (Farmington, NM, 1950 and Rendlesham Forest, UK 1980) have clearly grown in the re-telling by some witnesses (when other witnesses maintain nothing particularly unusual happened); and a small number of high-strangeness reports might be connected to parasomnias or other neurological causes,
see the thread "Alien DNA after sexual encounter", https://www.metabunk.org/threads/alien-dna-after-sexual-encounter.12070/;
and if IIRC in Dark White: Aliens, Abductions and the UFO Obsession, Jim Schnabel 1994 (Hamish Hamilton) an Australian woman underwent a "classic" abduction experience while being watched by her concerned friends, she was actually having an epileptic seizure.
But despite the many eyewitness accounts, we don't know if any are of extraterrestrial craft, or if extraterrestrial craft exist.
Or if intelligent extraterrestrials exist. Or, if ETI does exist, whether we will ever be aware of their existence.

As has been pointed out on other threads, there have been many eyewitness accounts of visitations by religious / cultural figures, and accounts of miracles witnessed by hundreds (if not thousands) of people. Often the experiencers are reportedly amongst the most honest and sober in their community. These phenomena continue into the present, sometimes in developed "Western" countries. I'm not sure we should take them as scientific evidence of direct Divine intervention,
(On Wikipedia see Marian apparition, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_apparition,
Weeping statue, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue), but it seems clear that many witnesses firmly believe in the objective, literal reality of their experience.

Firstly,
"has ever" is a statement about times between now and the infinite past;
"can't exist" is a statement about times between the infinite past and the infinite future..

Secondly, that's a statement about the detection of craft, not a statement about the possibility of existence of craft.

A statement about the wrong thing at the wrong time does not pass as support for your claim. A retraction seems the polite thing to do at this point.

I think mick is a ufo expert is he not? As far as I am concerned a UFO expert is someone who is expertly trained in UFO studies, but like, not "do they read time life books" but do they understand physics, data analysis, scientific process.

Someone who has a deep knowledge of every sighting, the context involved, the people, their history, the known hoaxes, hoaxers, the patterns, the anomalies, the unknowns, the most accurate debunks.

That is a UFO expert to me, someone who is an expert in terms of knowing and understand what we can know about something, is an expert.

What we can know about ufo's is that kind of stuff. By no means would i assume a UFO expert is someone who understands how UFOs work, that's more like a science fiction fan.

Understanding how they're spotted, why, and every detail about those sightings I think is what we can be an expert on, and that can help them debunk other future sightings.

Hehe.. It does seem to be that way! Perhaps "UFO historian" or "researcher" might make more sense. Hoaxes and unexplained cases both are part of UFO history.
Yes.
At that point, they're studying UFO experiences and not the UFOs themselves. (Remember how I first responded that we agree that most UFO experiences are real?)

I think mick is a ufo expert is he not? As far as I am concerned a UFO expert is someone who is expertly trained in UFO studies, but like, not "do they read time life books" but do they understand physics, data analysis, scientific process.

Someone who has a deep knowledge of every sighting, the context involved, the people, their history, the known hoaxes, hoaxers, the patterns, the anomalies, the unknowns, the most accurate debunks.

That is a UFO expert to me, someone who is an expert in terms of knowing and understand what we can know about something, is an expert.

What we can know about ufo's is that kind of stuff. By no means would i assume a UFO expert is someone who understands how UFOs work, that's more like a science fiction fan.

Understanding how they're spotted, why, and every detail about those sightings I think is what we can be an expert on, and that can help them debunk other future sightings.
Try that logic, substituting leprechaun or unicorn for UFO expert... A 'Unicologist' is not an expert in unicorns, they are an expert in the stories/myths/lores/beliefs about them. There is no ability to make predictions that can be validated with scientific criteria: this for me is a large part of why UFO expert is a red herring. They have no working hypothesis that is testable/repeatable.

They have no working hypothesis that is testable/repeatable.
It really depends.

Some experts would tell you
• the majority of UFO photos are small fuzzy blobs that could be anything
• unexplained objects in the sky most often turn out to be balloons, satellites, aircraft, or stars.
• the Drake equation suggests that alien visits are unlikely.

Other experts would tell you
• grey aliens have visited Earth
• crashed UFOs have been found, but are kept secret
• we can contact them mentally

I don't believe there's any overlap among these groups?
However, one set of statements is testable while the other is not.

• the Drake equation suggests that alien visits are unlikely.
I agree with most of your post, but the Drake equation, being entirely without numerical factors, doesn't really tell us anything about the likelihood of alien visitation.

I agree with most of your post, but the Drake equation, being entirely without numerical factors, doesn't really tell us anything about the likelihood of alien visitation.
Yes. But we're learning to look for signs of life in nearby systems and therefore test that likelihood.

Yes.
At that point, they're studying UFO experiences and not the UFOs themselves. (Remember how I first responded that we agree that most UFO experiences are real?)
Agreed, but that might also include data gathered from particular encounters that is not wholly subjective.

Firstly,
"has ever" is a statement about times between now and the infinite past;
"can't exist" is a statement about times between the infinite past and the infinite future..

Secondly, that's a statement about the detection of craft, not a statement about the possibility of existence of craft.

A statement about the wrong thing at the wrong time does not pass as support for your claim. A retraction seems the polite thing to do at this point.
I'm happy to retract the statement, but I don't believe there is a way to say definitively that it has not happened. I think it has.

There are many accounts, some quite old that describe objects very similar to what is being reported today. Here is an example.
At the end of the day, I'm okay with your investigative premise that UFOs aren't real; the truth will be the truth --it just might take a while. And I am not being sarcastic when I say I think you folks are providing a valuable service! There are so many folks who believe ridiculous things about UFOs and then there are the paper mache alien corpse folks...

Why are you even on this forum? You are clearly a "trust me bruh" evidence type of believer. Whereas we skeptics need solid proof and testable evidence. We do not run headlong into a story and say "that's aliens". You clearly are a believer just from stories. We need more than that. Sorry if this bothers you. And it is not up to us to come up with a "good explanation for the Lubbock lights". It's up to the person making the claims as to why it's space elves in flying saucers.

it could be a variation of the Anthropic Principle
no, they can't, because the "UFO phenomenon" is undefined

there is just no way to tell which part of the lore describe ufos and which don't , except for the many incidents which were thought to describe ufos but were then debunked.

it's like a paleontologist would study a haphazard pile of rocks and call it "studying fossils": there may be some actual fossils among those rocks, but as long as you can't identify them, all you can say is that you're studying rocks—but that does not make you a paleontologist.

If you're an expert in UFO reports, you're some kind of sociologist.
There is no expert on UFOs.
UFOs by definition are unidentified. Certainly there are people involved in national security whose job it is to identify knowns from unknowns. Ologies are ologies; in the case of UFOs this often involves studying past accounts. If physical evidence surfaces that can be tested and isn't paper mache, then that would change.

Why are you even on this forum? You are clearly a "trust me bruh" evidence type of believer. Whereas we skeptics need solid proof and testable evidence. We do not run headlong into a story and say "that's aliens". You clearly are a believer just from stories. We need more than that. Sorry if this bothers you. And it is not up to us to come up with a "good explanation for the Lubbock lights". It's up to the person making the claims as to why it's space elves in flying saucers.
Well, I'm not really a trust me bruh kind of guy. And I have a strong interest in science like the rest of you. Some of my best childhood friends became science professors. In fact I never posted about UFOs before 2010, with my first experience that set me to looking at old accounts. If yiu were going to try and understand a little known phenomenon like ball lightning, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at historical accounts to get some context and perhaps more understanding and look for corroborative descriptions. It's possible to do this; historians do it all the time. I understand that you want incontrovertible physical evidence.
All you can say is that as of yet there is no proof for UFOs being anomalous. It's important to keep the door open, though. That's science. And given how affecting some of these experiences are for people, it might be wise to be kind and not arrogant.

Last edited:
The study of unidentifiable things seems like a bit of a misnomer.

It seems fairly established that ufologist is reserved for those on the side that the unidentifiable things are of alien origin.

Mr. West is not a ufologist.

Back