Flares in the Sky? [Landing Lights of Planes landing at Phoenix Airport]

Ingrid Delaney

Hi I'm new here and wanted to post two of my videos I took some years back. ***PLEASE MUTE VIDEOS AS PROFANITY IS USED I tried to remove AUDIO without success.

"This was maybe a couple years ago at different times, however in the same location. The initial occurrence had me pretty excited but I soon forgot about it until it happened again. I haven't really had any answers about what they could be after I posted them to my youtube page without much discussion."

I'm assuming they're flares and I just happened upon them in the same location, albeit two different times (Maybe a month or so apart)

My questions are.

1.) What do you think they are?

2.) They are seemingly close together however some are stationary and others are moving (up) I know flares can do this with thermals (sp?)

Thanks guys! Any feedback is appreciated!

+.46seconds on 1st video and +.11seconds on 2nd video are my screenshots
Round1.png

Round2.png

Attachments

• Round 1.mp4
    20.8 MB · Views: 819
  • Round 2.2.mp4
    23.4 MB · Views: 826
Last edited by a moderator:
They appear to be distant planes. At 1:00 in the second video you can see the navigation lights blinking on the top one. When planes are 50 to 100 miles away and heading straight towards you it looks like they are just hanging in the sky for a long time, barely moving. You see multiple planes on approaches to airports.

Just before you get to N. Price you are travelling West on W. Elliot.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.349...4!1sX-1XkxmsUyrsqr8L-O6JKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
You are parallel to the Phoenix International airport runways. So you are almost certainly seeing some planes that are lined up in the distance. You will probably see these every night in the same location. I've seen very similar "hanging, slowly rising" lights on approaches to LAX and Sacramento.
Metabunk 2018-09-17 08-58-48.jpg

Back