Fear Babe vs. Food Babe, in book

Leifer

Senior Member.
The Fear Babe:
Shattering Vani Hari's Glass House

au: Marc Draco, Kavin Senapathy, Mark Alsip

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fear-Babe-Shattering-Haris/dp/069250981X
Released earlier this year (2015)
This book was written to address with explanation, nearly every myth described by "Food Babe".
I've got it on order.

"While it might seem excessive to spend over 400 pages debunking the ravings of one person, The Fear Babe does more than that. It serves as a primer on complicated, easily-misunderstood subjects that the media often seems like it can’t cover accurately. Concepts like genetically modified organisms, toxicity, what chemicals actually do, and gluten intolerance are hard to talk about in an accurate, simple way. Food Babe takes advantage of that to fill her readers’ heads with flawed logic, misinformation, and a desperate need to buy the products she’s selling. Fear is easy, science is hard."
-Mike Rothschild-
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2015/10/27/the-fear-babe-is-the-takedown-vani-hari-deserves/
Content from External Source
There's always been opposition to Food Babe's claims. In April, Yvette d'Entremont (Science Babe) wrote the article "The "Food Babe" is full of Shit" on Gawker, of which Food Babe responded to, on her SITE.

Food Babe also responds to critics HERE. In this response, she resorts to re-posting "hate posts" about her, from the average anonymous troll-thugs.....and then acting as if these are her critics.

(FB)
These bullies have begun to band together to attack and terrorize media publications that feature our hard work and they’ve even started an unethical ruthless campaign to write “one star” reviews about my book that isn’t even released yet attempting to silence new investigations and research into the food industry. They even try to intimidate and outright lie in order to advance their message – taking games right from the Tobacco industry playbook creating a smear campaign against me. Some of their antics include creating fake social media profiles with my likeness, stealing and posting my copyrighted material, modifying my photos inappropriately, and posting my private personal data publicly and even sending me death threats.
Part of the reason I am responding now is because their messages have started to infiltrate the mainstream media. Seemingly reputable news organizations even linked to the hate groups – quoting one of their spokespeople and repeated their ridiculous and biased messages as if they have any merit.

Obviously, some powerful entities in the chemical and food industries have a financial incentive to try to discredit me in the work we have all done together.

In fact, Food Babe seems to be frequently responding to her critics.
But now there's this book too.

I'll admit, there should be more collaborative books like this, targeting popular people who spread online myths.

Last edited:
The Fear Babe:
Shattering Vani Hari's Glass House

au: Marc Draco, Kavin Senapathy, Mark Alsip

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fear-Babe-Shattering-Haris/dp/069250981X
Released earlier this year (2015)
This book was written to address with explanation, nearly every myth described by "Food Babe".
I've got it on order.

"While it might seem excessive to spend over 400 pages debunking the ravings of one person, The Fear Babe does more than that. It serves as a primer on complicated, easily-misunderstood subjects that the media often seems like it can’t cover accurately. Concepts like genetically modified organisms, toxicity, what chemicals actually do, and gluten intolerance are hard to talk about in an accurate, simple way. Food Babe takes advantage of that to fill her readers’ heads with flawed logic, misinformation, and a desperate need to buy the products she’s selling. Fear is easy, science is hard."
-Mike Rothschild-
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2015/10/27/the-fear-babe-is-the-takedown-vani-hari-deserves/
There's always been opposition to Food Babe's claims. In April, Yvette d'Entremont (Science Babe) wrote the article "The "Food Babe" is full of Shit" on Gawker, of which Food Babe responded to, on her SITE.

Food Babe also responds to critics HERE. In this response, she resorts to re-posting "hate posts" about her, from the average anonymous troll-thugs.....and then acting as if these are her critics.

(FB)
These bullies have begun to band together to attack and terrorize media publications that feature our hard work and they’ve even started an unethical ruthless campaign to write “one star” reviews about my book that isn’t even released yet attempting to silence new investigations and research into the food industry. They even try to intimidate and outright lie in order to advance their message – taking games right from the Tobacco industry playbook creating a smear campaign against me. Some of their antics include creating fake social media profiles with my likeness, stealing and posting my copyrighted material, modifying my photos inappropriately, and posting my private personal data publicly and even sending me death threats.
Part of the reason I am responding now is because their messages have started to infiltrate the mainstream media. Seemingly reputable news organizations even linked to the hate groups – quoting one of their spokespeople and repeated their ridiculous and biased messages as if they have any merit.

Obviously, some powerful entities in the chemical and food industries have a financial incentive to try to discredit me in the work we have all done together.

In fact, Food Babe seems to be frequently responding to her critics.
But now there's this book too.

I'll admit, there should be more collaborative books like this, targeting popular people who spread online myths.

Normally Id agree with you Leifer (and I do actually), but Food Babe is taking notes from the likes of Anita Sarkeesian and cashing in on the whole "the trolls represent everyone thats against me and they're attacking me" crap. Thats not to say that they both havent had some rather.. unsavory and down right cruel things said to them.... there have been. Both women are very intelligent and savvy, and both know what to say and how to phrase things to get the support they need and want for their respective causes.

If there are more books like this that come out, odds are they'll either be attacked by the 'fanboys/girls" and written off as garbage and troll attacks, or the authors will be gone after and threatened. Unfortunately conversation and rational debate have been replaced by rabid attacks and willful ignorance of anything contrary to a specific belief set. This goes for both sides of any debate. I call it the Fox News syndrome. The louder you yell, the more people pay attention to what you're saying and take it at face value rather than finding the information out for themselves first hand.

Last edited:
If there are more books like this that come out, odds are they'll either be attacked by the 'fanboys/girls" and written off as garbage and troll attacks, or the authors will be gone after and threatened. Unfortunately conversation and rational debate have been replaced by rabid attacks and willful ignorance of anything contrary to a specific belief set. This goes for both sides of any debate. I call it the Fox News syndrome. The louder you yell, the more people pay attention to what you're saying and take it at face value rather than finding the information out for themselves first hand.
I think it's important that the public have access to hear the science explained by scientists or science-trained writers, in reply to the internet purveyors of Woo.

(woo = not derogatory, just unconfirmed or pseudoscience)

Last edited:
I think it's important that the public have access to hear the science explained by scientists or science-trained writers, in reply to the internet purveyors of Woo.

(woo = not derogatory, just unconfirmed or pseudoscience)

yep, I agree with ya there too... just have to have the ability to withstand the onslaught of threats (both Doxxing and Physical) and crap thats gonna come along with it.

I am deep in the debunking of bad science relating to food and it just gets worse. Professors that speak out for bio tech, are getting FOIA requests for their emails. One, Kevin Folta has had death threats against him and his family and threats against his lab at the U of F. The crime---Monsanto donated $25,000 to the university to help pay expenses for Kevin's bio tech ourreach program. Coach air fare, a compact car and budget hotel and sub sandwiches for lunch for the attendees. I think that paid for 4 trips.

Meanwhile Vandana Shiva gets $50,000 per speech, plus first class airfare from India and upscale hotels.

Food Babe has tried to use her Indian background but Kavin is also Indian.

There is big money behind the 'label it' movement and plenty of charlatans raking in the money from their fearmongering.

Food Babe told folks a few years ago that the airlines were cheating them by using cheap nitrogen in plane cabins instead of oxygen!

Back