Fareed Zakaria: An angry victim of the Internet misinformation websites, speaks out

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
Wikipedia

Link to full Washington Post Article

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I'd seen that story shared on a local site, and I'd explained it was satire. I thought it was too silly to need an actually debunking article.

The satirical/fake story actually contained a link to the "source" which was an actual article he wrote about how middle age white people, particularly those of little education, were dying at an increasing rate.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americas-self-destructive-whites/2015/12/31/5017f958-afdc-11e5-9ab0-884d1cc4b33e_story.html?hpid=hp_opinions-for-wide-side_opinion-card-f:homepage/story
Uber-conservative site Breitbart was angry at this, as it seemed to be criticizing their core demographic:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...ite-people-are-dying-and-trump-cans-save-you/
Then after Zakaria wrote about the "Zakaria call for rape of white women" story, then Breitbart responded by calling him a fascist for interferring with the press.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...-media-mechanisms-to-protect-him-from-trolls/
The commenters there largely seem to assume that the fake story was "payback" for attacking white people.

deirdre

Senior Member.
hhmm. reading that original Washington Post article, this might be a good example of pure debunking techniques not going far enough to eradicate he spread of bunk. ie saying 'he never posted that'.

Would probably be helpful to tamper down the hate on this guy, by explaining the article wasnt saying what they seem to think it is saying. Of course he could have been alot clearer, and not opened with a Trump pic, (probably not his fault)but still certainly doesnt deserve THAT. Such accusations are absolutely over the line..by a few thousand miles!

I hope he sues for libel. satire site or not, there are limits. I typically frown on suing, but in cases like this we need to set some precedence.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The actual original satire story seems to be from "The People's Cube", a site that seem pretty obviously satire, with similar stories like: "Pope outraged by Planned Parenthood's "unfettered capitalism," demands equal redistribution of baby parts to each according to his need"

http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-b...lls-for-jihad-rape-of-white-women-t17380.html
While it's clear to most readers that it was satire in that setting, the problem is that it was then shared by conservative fear clickbait sites like Conservative Post. Those sites did not provide any clues that it was satire (beside the story itself being ridiculous, which isn't always enough)

Leifer

Senior Member.
Fareed and his weekly CNN Sunday show stands above the rest, as his analysis is nearly always fair and in depth......often hitting the bullseye, sanely.
It's a breath of fresh air, simply because he tackles topical issues, straight-on.
More than once, Fareed has (had to ?) explain his personal cultural and political background, to his readers and viewers.

Trolling with uninformed, deceptive, or selfish intentions.... is perhaps the largest problem,, and is why I contribute to this site.

Last edited:

Marin B

Fareed and his weekly CNN Sunday show stands above the rest, as his analysis is nearly always fair and in depth......often hitting the bullseye, sanely.
It's a breath of fresh air, simply because he hits topical issues straight-on.
More than once, he has (had to ?) explain his personal cultural and political background, to his readers and viewers.

You might enjoy this interview of Fareed by Tom Ashbrook - I haven't listened to it since it first aired, but I remember really agreeing with a lot of what was said, especially a point made about critical thinking skills not being sufficiently taught in schools & universities.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Very good discussion. (I listened to it.)

The learning of anything is available....and people should grab it. Then use it for good.

Last edited:

scombrid

Senior Member.
Breitbart.com's profit and political gain relies on the successful uncritical spread of misinformation among its target demographic.

I guess I should not be surprised at its response to a member of the group that Breitbart considers to be an enemy daring to criticize Breitbart's bread and butter. But those smears of Zakaria are pretty disgusting. The smears are also a good example of how misinformation is uncritically accepted within a given bubble when you consider that the comments largely believe that the troll targeted Zakaria in retaliation for things that he did not do but that Breitbart had falsely claimed he did.

Leifer

Senior Member.
....again, it comes around to "people trolling in order to..." ....to a feeling of personal acceptance and community, that stands out from the rest......especially when such acceptance is praised as vital and needed. (to stand out from within a rebellious crowd).
The suspicion or invention of a notable squeaky wheel.

Last edited:

SR1419

Senior Member.
those smears of Zakaria are pretty disgusting. The smears are also a good example of how misinformation is uncritically accepted within a given bubble when you consider that the comments largely believe that the troll targeted Zakaria in retaliation for things that he did not do but that Breitbart had falsely claimed he did.

The lack of consequence for error(s) on the internet is one of its (if not the) biggest problems...

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Angry Chemtrail Believer Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Related Articles