"Escaping the Prison of Belief" - Science as a Remedy, by Ex-Scientologist

JFDee

Senior Member.
Chris Shelton has spent a good part of his life working for Scientology before he left the organization in 2013. Since then he has provided many clear and analytical insights into the inner workings of what he calls a "cult" now.

The article at hand advocates scientific thinking on a very down-to-earth level as an antidote against con schemes generally (also applicable to bunk beliefs). It might be a helpful resource to refer people to who reject science (or their image of it) altogether.

The personal history of the author lends credibility to his plea for critical thinking.

Here is the intro as a teaser:

Critical thinking and logic have radically changed my life for the better. Unfortunately, when I bring up ‘critical thinking’ I notice that some people’s eyes seem to glaze over. People seem to think these are immensely philosophical and deep subjects which only college-educated intellectuals want to have anything to do with.

I’d like to break through that, so let’s talk about something really practical and useful, which also just happens to be the very heart and soul of critical thinking.
Content from External Source

Chris Shelton has spent a good part of his life working for Scientology before he left the organization in 2013. Since then he has provided many clear and analytical insights into the inner workings of what he calls a "cult" now.

The article at hand advocates scientific thinking on a very down-to-earth level as an antidote against con schemes generally (also applicable to bunk beliefs). It might be a helpful resource to refer people to who reject science (or their image of it) altogether.

The personal history of the author lends credibility to his plea for critical thinking.

Here is the intro as a teaser:

Critical thinking and logic have radically changed my life for the better. Unfortunately, when I bring up ‘critical thinking’ I notice that some people’s eyes seem to glaze over. People seem to think these are immensely philosophical and deep subjects which only college-educated intellectuals want to have anything to do with.

I’d like to break through that, so let’s talk about something really practical and useful, which also just happens to be the very heart and soul of critical thinking.

I like this bit

Sagan’s daughter wrote this about him in an essay entitled “How Carl Sagan Described Death to his Young Daughter”:
“Then he told me, very tenderly, that it can be dangerous to believe things just because you want them to be true. You can get tricked if you don’t question yourself and others, especially people in a position of authority. He told me that anything that’s truly real can stand up to scrutiny.”

Thanks a bunch for this. I have a TON of Scientology books/dvd's/talks, etc, as I was once interested in the "religion". Was sent a ton of stuff by other Scientologists - mainly those with Bridge Publications - got the basic books, even got the catalog that has the whole bridge on it, dvd's, talks etc. I took one of the free courses online and while I did enjoy it, I never finished it. Did receive an email from someone at Bridge Publications and asked if I had ever heard of the Sea Org and sent me information on it and even told me that I should come to California and check it all out. Obviously, I did not do that, but that, at least to me, was weird and for me, gave me a red flag in my own mind and from that, I never continued contact with the person from Bridge Publications after that

Also, some good blogs to check out are the ones by Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder, and others who have left the group and those two were pretty high on the organization. Also, Tommy Davis, former face of Scientology, has left, it has been speculated, with his wife and now are in Texas I do believe doing other things. Lisa Remini just released her book - which is a good read and I recommend it. Even the voice you hear in their older Scientology videos, that guy has left recently in the past few years as well and he was in their orientation video that one can watch at their centers

Back