In his latest video, Mehdi Sadaghdar (of ElectroBOOM) talks about a segment from the History Channel which claims to show a man, named Mohan, who can pass electricity through his body without any ill effect.
Of course, with the ElectroBOOM YouTube channel being more about entertainment than education, he takes a bit of a "Mythbusters" approach to it; not very rigorous, but brings up some good points:
- The host "tested" Mohan's body's resistance, determining it to be around 1MΩ. Mehdi points out that running the 3A food processor shown earlier would require 3MV, a bit more than the 220V wall sockets provide.
- When powering a light "through his body", the bulb is at the same brightness no matter where Mohan touches the wires; one in each hand, either side of his tongue, and head-to-bottom all have the same brightness.
- No sparks jump between Mohan and the "live" wires he touches. 220VAC should cause sparks to jump and likely burn Mohan, regardless of any ability to channel electricity safely. This is never shown to happen.
He also points out some sketchy details such as the host going out and buying a multimeter even though there was one already available ("It was rigged, wasn't it?") and demonstrates a way of faking the "ability" with an offscreen switch, revealing how he does some of his "slapstick" electrical failures in the process.
Anyway, thought this would be fun to share here.