Debunked: Strange Sounds In Terrace, BC, Canada August 29th

SabreSaint

Hey Metabunk, was wondering if anyone out there had a sound debunking for this video?

As it stands Youtube has been inundated with these "Strange Sound", videos and almost all of them seem to be commented on and spread by religious end times fanatics of both the Christian and Muslim variety. I was wondering if anyone had anything that could knock the wild speculation back down to earth?

(Note: I actually hold the bible in high esteem but when it comes to the end times I feel that the mainstream interpretation is far too literal. This info really isn't important but I wanted to ensure that readers know I am not starting this thread with any particular agenda other then the truth of the matter.)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/30/bc-terrace-sounds.html

On Friday afternoon city spokesperson Alisa Thompson said she had a simpler explanation — it was a city worker grinding down the blade on a grader.

"The grader blade needed to be straightened. Kind of gets ground down, and it makes a very strange noise. It's as simple as that," said Thompson.

"The video, the YouTube video, is actually right around the corner from the arena, and that's where our employee was doing the straightening."

Voila!
Content from External Source

It sounds like a slow moving trains wheels rubbing on the tracks and resonating through empty metal box cars. I guessed a sharp curve, an old trellis or a train yard might be the culprit. With that in mind I looked at Terrace, BC on Google maps and sure enough, there's a whole train yard in the middle of town. IMHO, there's no need to look any further than that train yard for the source of that noise.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like Mick's got it. I'll bet that train yard makes some noises of it's own though.

One would imagine the shape of the landscape may have reflected, amplified (does sound amplify with simple reflection?*) and filtered out some frequencies to alter the sound a little too. Was there cloud cover for the sound to reflect off?

edit.* doh, dumb question. amphitheatres.

Last edited:
The only odd thing about it is that a similar sound seems to pop around the world in random places.
I have a poke around Youtube and there's probably half a dozen similar vids.

Hey Metabunk, was wondering if anyone out there had a sound debunking for this video?

As it stands Youtube has been inundated with these "Strange Sound", videos and almost all of them seem to be commented on and spread by religious end times fanatics of both the Christian and Muslim variety. I was wondering if anyone had anything that could knock the wild speculation back down to earth?

I too would like some type of rational explanation for these "strange sounds" people think they are hearing. I would poke around, but I really don't have any desire to. This and Chemtrails I just don't get...

I too would like some type of rational explanation for these "strange sounds" people think they are hearing. I would poke around, but I really don't have any desire to. This and Chemtrails I just don't get...
You don't have to poke around. Read post #2.

Back