1. Mick West

Mick West Administrator Staff Member

Some good debunking from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-really-is-honey-after-all

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jay Reynolds

Jay Reynolds Senior Member

I'm going to open a can of worms, not literally in your honey, but yes, since diatomaceous earth comes from the earth, care to guess what else it contains?
    Yes, aluminum, strontium, and barium.
    Diatomaceous earth is mainkly silica, formed by the exoskeletons of trillions of trillions of trillions of diatoms, a hard shelled marine and fresh water dwelling algae.
    Aluminum oxide, aka. alumina, aka. Al2O3 comes from the clay since this is a sedimentary rock depost.
    Strontum is fairly high since this is laid down in seabeds and sea water contains far more strontium than fresh water or many soils.
    Barium, also enriched in sea water, is found in diatomaceous earths.

But maybe the coolest part is that the Bodélé Valley in the Sahara Desert region of Chad, produces diatomite into the atmosphere at the rate of 1,200,000 tons/day during the winter.

Over 40 million tons of this dust is deposited each year a continent away in the Amazon basin, and makes up the primary input of nutrient inputs into the rain forest there.

Why would you NOT find aluminum, barium, and strontium in rainwater?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jay Reynolds

Jay Reynolds Senior Member

Bees are indeed having problems. However, some city beekeepers find their bees thrive. I will tell you that where I worked in one of the world's largest oil refineries , we had a big problem when bee colonies became established in open ended structural piping found all over the refinery. A "Bee Man" was frequently called to capture swarms.

..Amid bee die-off, healthy hives thrive in cities...Beekeeping booms in cities where hobbyists, entrepreneurs tend hives on rooftops, vacant lots
    By Carla K. Johnson, Associated Press | AP – Fri, Jul 29, 2011 10:40 AM EDT
  4. Mick West

5. Stupid

Stupid Senior Member

What was the original claim, that is "beeing" debunked here ?
  6. Mick West

The original claim was that cheap chinese honey was being ultra-purified to disguise it, and then then mixed with honey from other countries to get around trade restrictions.

This somehow morphed in the conspiracy culture to "most honey contains no real honey".

http://www.naturalnews.com/034102_honey_consumer_alert.html

The bottom line, according to NPR, is that honey in the US is not expected to have pollen, as it's filtered to get that clear appearance, regardless of origin.

Not a major debunking, but every little helps.
  7. Stupid

Stupid Senior Member

I think you meant to say...."that honey in the US is not expected to have pollen."

Here is the United States Standards
    for Grades of
    Extracted Honey

Strange (or unfortunate) that so many people were willing to believe the original false story....when it was so easy to find out otherwise.
    Seems many people have a certain affection for believing they are being cheated by anything touched by corporate or gov't entities.......and are unwilling to look further/deeper, other than the headlines of their favorite lifestyle web sites.
  8. Stupid

Stupid Senior Member

For "organic raw honey" labeling....it seems DE cannot be used.....

NOSB Apiculture Task Force Report Organic Apiculture Standards October 16, 2001
  9. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Active Member

Is that claim true?
  10. Mick West

11. RolandD

RolandD Active Member

Yes, thanks Mick. I have to say that I believed it. Not that that stopped me from buying honey. :)
  12. Grieves

Grieves Active Member

Where bees are concerned one of the major problems is noise pollution. Noisy cities and roads disorient the hell out of bees, and also make it rather difficult for bees to sleep. If a bee doesn't get enough sleep and is frequently awoken through the night, it can't remember new routes the following day, and will often get lost and die. It sounds silly, that our being noisy neighbors is what's doing in the bees, but there's strong evidence to that effect. There's also grave concerns that the new generations of pesticides have terribly harmful impacts on pollinating insects... particularly Monsanto's ever-popular 'Roundup' product, an exceptionally harsh pesticide which its GMO's are specifically designed to survive.

If there's one incredibly serious crisis that's getting a ridiculously small amount of attention, it's the bees. We're more or less sunk without them. That some areas have seen improvement doesn't change the general wide-scale decline.
  13. Mick West

Noise pollution is not listed in Wikipedia, where do you get that it's a "major" problem?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

I wouldn't say it's getting a a small amount of attention, there's a huge amount of research going on into the problem. 500 papers in 2012 alone.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2012&q=colony collapse disorder&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_vis=1

This is a good quick overview of the state of things:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jul12/colony0712.htm
  14. Cairenn

Cairenn Senior Member

I was reading up on this, and I found the possibility of in breeding in our domestic bees to be listed as one problem. Also, it seems like bees that only feed on one type of nectar, are also more likely to develop colony collapse disorder. Native bees and even urban hives do not seem to be having as many issues with colony collapse, as the commercial beekeepers are having.

My research was prompted by a friend's FB book post about GM crops causing it. Corn and soybeans are the 2 major US GM crops and both of those are wind pollinated.
  15. solrey

solrey Senior Member

Bees do collect corn pollen, it's kind of fascinating to watch actually. Several studies have identified neoconotinoid coatings on seeds as one of the factors in CCD, although other stresses imposed on bees used in commercial pollination operations are likely to be contributing factors as well.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120111KrupkeBees.html
  16. Cairenn

Cairenn Senior Member

I understand that colony collapse has been seen in countries where there are NO GM crops .
  17. Belfrey

Belfrey Senior Member

Most soybean varieties are primarily self-pollinated, but bees will visit the flowers and can increase yields of at least some cultivars.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/esa/jee/1978/00000071/00000004/art00012
  18. Cairenn

Cairenn Senior Member

I guess bees will visit most flowers if they are in the area. I found a discussion on cotton honey, not one I would I had ever thought about
  19. allena

allena New Member

Speaking of DE. We used to use that in organic gradening to kill bugs back in the 70's.