Debate Challenge from Madisonstar Moon to Mick West

Perhaps off topic, but I've always thought that "debunker" is a very negative-sounding word. Yes, I get that it means "removing bunk", and that bunk is a bad thing, but the word itself doesn't sound helpful. Mythbuster is a better one, but that has been taken...

I think that initially the word can be a problem, but it's also an opportunity to explain what you are about. "Mythbuster" really suggests even more prejudging.

Perhaps off topic, but I've always thought that "debunker" is a very negative-sounding word. Yes, I get that it means "removing bunk", and that bunk is a bad thing, but the word itself doesn't sound helpful. Mythbuster is a better one, but that has been taken...
Personally, I haven't used the term since the '80s when the army employed me to help dismantle
some shoddily constructed bunkers in Alabama (“...not intended to be a factual statement...”)

But I was reminded of the wonderful origin of the term when--in honor of Tuesday's election--I re-watched
the classic Daily Show bit (http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/dxhtvk/suppressing-the-vote) about voter ID...
with the legendary Don Yelton from Buncombe County, North Carolina...the place so silly that
(buncombe = bunkum =) "bunk" is it's gift to the world.

I think about any term we use will become tainted by the association people make with others challenging their claims. Even "skeptic" has taken on negative connotations.

Back