DC Owl

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also make it not fit to things, if you feel like that too. Look, it's "clearly" not an owl:

Last edited:
I know nothing of the Masonic traditions . . . however, the Masons were historically involved in the establishment of the US . . . it would not be surprised to me that they left a few calling cards here and there for posterity . . .

Behold George Washington in his masonic apron - plenty of images....I highly recommend a little delve. It's not just tradition or posterity - it's ongoing. Why did it stop? FDR? 32nd degree and 32nd president of the US, his successor? Harry 'the S doesn't stand for anything' Truman (very swift rise through the ranks was Harry's), 33rd president and 33 degree freemason, oversaw the atomic test at Trinity* site at the 33rd parallel.....etc etc etc it's not that hard to spot once you get the hang of it.
Latterly (relatively speaking), Alice Bailey, Lucis Trust, Blavatsky, Theosophy, Occultism, Kabbala, Numerology and much more, that's just for starters - that's where you need to delve, if you're inclined.....symbolism is alive and vibrant right now - not just in yesteryear

ROFL Mick... yeah... you're not wrong... you could also add a cross-shaped pull-pin and it might look like the Holy Hand Grenade, or if you shrank it down and drew a little stick man behind it, it'd be his shield...!!! The irrelevance of imagined modifications aside, the general outline of it matches the body shape of an owl, the two oval shapes, distinctly eye-like by your own estimation, match the oval shape of an owls 'eye-frames', and the pointed protrusions on either side of the eyes matches an owls 'ear-feathers'. The paths form an owl-like shape. Even the little half-moon curves at the bottom of the outline match the points where, if it were depicting an owl, its feet would be.
The shape doesn't 'just kind of' fit over the drawn image of an owl, it does fit over the drawn image of an owl. Not perfectly, but pretty damn close, and that's just some random image of an owl I tracked down on Google in 45 seconds. The design is owl-shaped. Not dragon-shaped or vase-shaped or aardvark-shaped. I think you're perhaps just very much against what some people here might believe pathways in an owl-shape around the capitol building means, and that's influencing your 'subjective' mind.

I, on the other hand, don't think an owl-shaped path-design around the capitol building means frack-all other than the dude who designed the path system maybe had a thing for owls. As Lee said, its entirely common for landscaping and architectural artists to include features and flares in their work that aren't particularly noticeable except from the perspective of those doing/reviewing/ordering the work, especially when they're well-funded.

Why favour the owl over the Maori motif? they look pretty much liek they're exactly the same "goodness of fit" to me, and a Sth Pacific connection would be much more mysterious and suggestive of aliens and a world wide conspiracy to conceal stuff than the well known symbolism of owls! :)
Then you, sir, need to get your eyes checked.

And Mick, none of those images come particularly close. This is getting goofy though, so go ahead and call it 'debunked' if you prefer.

You can also make it not fit to things, if you feel like that too. Look, it's "clearly" not an owl:

Now Mick . . . an anatomically correct Horned Owl is out of bounds . . . only stylized symbology is allowed . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Venice Beach, California. There's a guy on the boardwalk here who has a sign requesting that you ask him why there's a pyramid on the dollar bill.

He's been there, seeming every day, for about 20 years. Recently he's seeming to descend a little, sprucing up his space with signs saying things like "Fuck the NWO", and muttering nonsense under his breath. I really should stop and ask him before he gets too ill to continue.

Don't be that guy.

Last edited:
Then you, sir, need to get your eyes checked.

And Mick, none of those images come particularly close. This is getting goofy though, so go ahead and call it 'debunked' if you prefer.

I think I'll just leave it at goofy. It's a highly subjective thing. If you can't see that it's subjective, then I don't see how I can debunk it.

I really don't see the image as an owl as my first reaction. I suspect that most people will not. I suspect you've just primed yourself too far into seeing "owl" that you've got stuck.

Lets not needlessly poke fun at the mentally ill.

In any event, not all art is subjective. If you say 'Pink Floyd's 'wish you were here' is about my GIRL, man...!', and David Gilmore / Roger Waters happened to be nearby, they'd probably kick you in the balls. That or politely inform you that "No, Wish You Were Here is about Syd Barret, and only Syd Barret." I got a real good laugh out of your 'american owl' picture though. Not only was it terribly appropriate for the topic, it also IS the only picture you posted that shares a similar shape to the path outline.

So what do you think is the scoop then? The artist designed the pathways, in a shape that just happened to resemble the outline of a owl, with a pair of oval walkabouts that just happen to resemble a pair of big eyes, planning the paths precisely and yet never noticing/considering the resemblance? That he finished the design, took a look at it, perhaps thought 'hey, that sorta looks like an owl/tiki-mask/aardvark!', and then sent it on through? You think a man who's career it is to study and put into practice complex art-designs in a physical landscape didn't actually intend the shape to have any resemblance to anything, and it's just a coinky-dink that it clearly does?

I live in Venice Beach, California. There's a guy on the boardwalk here who has a sign requesting that you ask him why there's a pyramid on the dollar bill.

He's been there, seeming every day, for about 20 years. Recently he's seeming to descend a little, sprucing up his space with signs saying things like "Fuck the NWO", and muttering nonsense under his breath. I really should stop and ask him before he gets too ill to continue.

Don't be that guy.

Yeah, shame he's not sane enough to spend his life sitting in a virtual room with a bunch of people he doesn't know telling them what to think! Poor sod.

Get me coat, shall I?

Lets not needlessly poke fun at the mentally ill.
Sorry, I wasn't poking fun at him. I feel sorry for him. I also see it as the end result of this kind of obsession. I do not suggest present company is anywhere near that state (Oxy is probably the closest, but still somewhat reasonable). But I think there's a real danger of ending up where you see significance everywhere. Sometimes, as has been noted, a cigars is just a cigar.

In any event, not all art is subjective. If you say 'Pink Floyd's 'wish you were here' is about my GIRL, man...!', and David Gilmore / Roger Waters happened to be nearby, they'd probably kick you in the balls. That or politely inform you that "No, Wish You Were Here is about Syd Barret, and only Syd Barret." I got a real good laugh out of your 'american owl' picture though. Not only was it terribly appropriate for the topic, it also IS the only picture you posted that shares a similar shape to the path outline.

So what do you think is the scoop then? The artist designed the pathways, in a shape that just happened to resemble the outline of a owl, with a pair of oval walkabouts that just happen to resemble a pair of big eyes, planning the paths precisely and yet never noticing/considering the resemblance? That he finished the design, took a look at it, perhaps thought 'hey, that sorta looks like an owl/tiki-mask/aardvark!', and then sent it on through? You think a man who's career it is to study and put into practice complex art-designs in a physical landscape didn't actually intend the shape to have any resemblance to anything, and it's just a coinky-dink that it clearly does?

Yes. I think he designed the paths to provide pleasant approaches to the capitol, accounting for the terrain.

http://www.olmsted.org/the-olmsted-legacy/frederick-law-olmsted-sr

Olmsted believed that it was the purpose of his art to affect the emotions. This was especially evident in his park design, where he created passages of scenery in which the visitor would become immersed, experiencing the restorative action of the landscape by what Olmsted termed an "unconscious" process. To achieve this result, he subordinated all elements of the design to the single purpose of making the landscape experience most profound. Olmsted always sought to look beyond current taste and fashion and to base his designs on fundamental principles of human psychology. In particular, he drew from the analysis of earlier British theorists of naturalistic landscape and their emphasis on the special qualities of "pastoral" and "picturesque" scenery. The epitome of pastoral landscape was the English deer park, with its sense of extended space and its gracefully modulated ground and smooth, close-cropped turf. This style he found to be a special antidote to the ill effects of urban life. The "picturesque" style he applied to steep and broken terrain, planting thickly with a variety of ground covers, shrubs, vines, and creepers in order to achieve an effect of bounteousness, profusion, and mystery. His own most intense experience of this effect was on the Isthmus of Panama during his passage to California in 1863. Both styles shared the quality of indefiniteness, of lack of individual objects for specific examination.
As Olmsted expressed it, the term "scenery" does not apply to any field of vision in which all that is to be seen is clear and well defined in outline. It must contain either "considerable complexity of light and shadow near the eye, or obscurity of detail further away." These qualities were essential for the unconscious action of scenery on the psyche. They were also a crucial element of his designs as a training ground for aesthetic sensibility. The quality of "delicacy," which involved variety, intricacy, and fine gradation of texture, tint, and tone, was fundamental to Olmsted's artistic and civilizing purpose. The final test of civilization, he taught, was this delicacy, shown by "the willingness of the people to expend study and labor with reference to delicate distinctions in matters of form and color."
Content from External Source
http://www.uschs.org/exhibit/history-featured-articles/uschs_articles-05.htm
On June 23, 1874, Congress passed an act making Olmsted the first landscape architect of the United States Capitol. His original design envisioned a ground plan that united the White House, Capitol and other government agencies to symbolize the union of the nation. He scaled back his grand plans, however, being permitted to develop only the 50 acres then comprising the Capitol grounds.

In his previous projects, Olmsted had made architecture less important than its green surroundings. Central Park in New York City is a prime example. Throughout the park, the trees, plants, grass and lakes act as the main focus for park-goers and outdoor enthusiasts. Although there are many buildings on the 800-acre site, many of them are downplayed by the beautiful surroundings. However, for the seat of the legislative branch, Olmsted wanted to make the Capitol building the crowning centerpiece.

Olmsted envisioned an open setting immediately surrounding the Capitol and a more naturalistic scenery with shrubbery and trees further from the Capitol, nearer to its entrances. The creation of a coherent circulation system took most of the design process. The east side of the Capitol needed more open spaces for large masses of people during inaugurations and other big events then normally held at the East Front. Two large ovals with scattered trees were designed for the east side to accommodate the grounds during such events.

Because the grounds were only 50 acres, Olmsted could not make a park out of the surroundings of the Capitol. Twenty-one streets touched the Capitol grounds, with forty-six entrances for both pedestrians and carriages. These restrictions limited Olmsted's options, but he finally created a picturesque scene that emphasized the Capitol's beauty in places where the entire building could be seen.

http://www.olmsted.org/us-capitol-grounds-washington-dc
Describing his plan in a letter to the editor of the New York Tribune in 1874, Olmsted wrote:

“The general design is very simple, and will be easily understood. It has two purposes: First, to provide convenient approaches to and standing room about the Capitol; second, to allow its imposing dimensions and the beauty of its architecture to have due effect…”
http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-grounds/frederick-law-olmsted
In 1873 Congress commissioned Olmsted to design the enlarged grounds of the U.S. Capitol. After careful study, in June 1874 he presented a plan for a sophisticated landscape that highlighted the building it surrounded. His symmetrical design incorporated park-like edging, low walls, lamps, careful placement of trees and simple shrubs, and a series of curved walkways that afforded attractive views of the Capitol.

Yeah, shame he's not sane enough to spend his life sitting in a virtual room with a bunch of people he doesn't know telling them what to think! Poor sod.

Get me coat, shall I?

Pot, Kettle :)

It's a fair dig though. I have a hard time something explaining to people why I'm a debunker. It boils down to I enjoy doing it, and I think it will do some good. I suppose the chap on the boardwalk might have similar rationalizations.

Why do you spend time trolling Metabunk lee?

I also see it as the end result of this kind of obsession. I do not suggest present company is anywhere near that state (Oxy is probably the closest, but still somewhat reasonable). But I think there's a real danger of ending up where you see significance everywhere. Sometimes, as has been noted, a cigars is just a cigar.
Dude, I'm not saying there's anything remotely significant about this. All I'm saying is I can see a clear artistic intention to depict an owl-like shape in the pathways. The only reason I'm getting so adamant on this point is because the arguments against it are thick as bricks. Like the suggestion that this likely fact
I think he designed the paths to provide pleasant approaches to the capitol, accounting for the terrain.
somehow negates the fact the pathways have an obviously intentional shape/design, and that shape bears a clear resemblance to a stylized owl. Of course he designed the paths to be aesthetically pleasing, power too him for endeavoring to emulate lush green pastures, and way-to-go in creating a truly pretty lawn for the capitol. How does any of that impede him from having tossed an owl-motif into that particular work, if only for personal shits and giggles?
As a guy with an keen interest in, if not a great talent for art and design, it's pretty clear to me those walkways intentionally form a symmetrical image, and that symmetrical image bears a distinct resemblance to a friggin' owl. That's just the way it is. As you said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Well sometimes an artistically designed pathway is just an artistically designed pathway! Be proud you had such a creative fellow do the landscaping on your capitol, don't refuse to acknowledge a truly interesting feature of his work just because some people might think its a representation of the Cow-Owl-Demon of the satanist elite.

Pot, Kettle :)

It's a fair dig though. I have a hard time something explaining to people why I'm a debunker. It boils down to I enjoy doing it, and I think it will do some good. I suppose the chap on the boardwalk might have similar rationalizations.

Why do you spend time trolling Metabunk lee?

You've got a website or two, and you're always on them. And you do the dealing with the spam, and every single post checked for 'politeness', whatever that is. I run two businesses - the amount of time I spend here doesn't seem to impact that. Pot and kettle comparisons not really valid.

What's trolling? Not agreeing with you?

Be proud you had such a creative fellow do the landscaping on your capitol, don't refuse to acknowledge a truly interesting feature of his work just because some people might think its a representation of the Cow-Owl-Demon of the satanist elite.

But I think it was not a feature of his work, simply because it's such a trivial thing to have to make the rest of his goal subservient to. Do you really think think he spend half his time figuring out how he could make beautiful sweeping paths, and still have them in the shape of an owl? All that work, just for some inside joke that nobody would ever see.

No. I think it's just a coincidence.

You've got a website or two, and you're always on them. And you do the deakling with the spam, and every single post checked for 'politeness', whatever that is. I run two businesses- the amount of time I spend here idoesn't seem to impact that. Pot and kettle comparisons not really valid.

What's trolling? Not agreeing with you?

Trolling is being provocative. Making posts without actually being interested in moving the discourse forward, just to provoke responses.

Anyway, yes I probably do spend a bit too much time on here nowadays. Mrs West certainly thinks so :). But heck, I'm semi-retired. Oh, and ContrailScience.com does not actually require any work. I spend my online time mostly here now.

But I think it was not a feature of his work, simply because it's such a trivial thing to have to make the rest of his goal subservient to. Do you really think think he spend half his time figuring out how he could make beautiful sweeping paths, and still have them in the shape of an owl? All that work, just for some inside joke that nobody would ever see.

No. I think it's just a coincidence.

So it does look like an owl? It's just a coincidence?

simply because it's such a trivial thing to have to make the rest of his goal subservient to.
Artists in general are largely subservient to their art. If he had a particular design in mind, and truly enjoyed it, then yes, I believe he'd execute the project in a way that fit his design so long as his patron allowed it. That's what artists do. This wasn't just 'a path' too him, it wasn't about the utility, it was about the art, about the aesthetic, not only for the public but also for himself.
Do you really think think he spend half his time figuring out how he could make beautiful sweeping paths, and still have them in the shape of an owl?
A landscaping project of this nature would inherently begin with paper and pencil. Prior to actual work beginning, he'd have spent maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months, maybe mere hours, drawing up the design that most pleased him, and that he thought would most please his patrons. If he had the skill and the craft to include a specific symmetrical design in his project which pleased him, why wouldn't he?

All that work, just for some inside joke that nobody would ever see.
Its not a 'joke', or a prank, or an easter egg. It's artistic flair in action. Why did some Peruvian(s) in ancient times dig a HUGE damn trench in the form of a giant dog of some sort, that could only ever be properly appreciated from the sky? AnCiEnT AlIeNs?!?! Or because they could and wanted too? That's how art works. He had the means, he had the skills, he had the resources, so why not do something neat with them? Also, clearly someone's seen it. Here we are, looking at it/talking about it.

So it does look like an owl? It's just a coincidence?

It looks like a bunch of things. The actual satellite images look a lot more like an owl than the original design did. Grieve's extracted path image looks nothing like an owl to me. Yes, I think it's just a coincidence.

Artists in general are largely subservient to their art. If he had a particular design in mind, and truly enjoyed it, then yes, I believe he'd execute the project in a way that fit his design so long as his patron allowed it. That's what artists do. This wasn't just 'a path' too him, it wasn't about the utility, it was about the art, about the aesthetic, not only for the public but also for himself.

A landscaping project of this nature would inherently begin with paper and pencil. Prior to actual work beginning, he'd have spent maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months, maybe mere hours, drawing up the design that most pleased him, and that he thought would most please his patrons. If he had the skill and the craft to include a specific symmetrical design in his project which pleased him, why wouldn't he?

Its not a 'joke', or a prank, or an easter egg. It's artistic flair in action. Why did some Peruvian(s) in ancient times dig a HUGE damn trench in the form of a giant dog of some sort, that could only ever be properly appreciated from the sky? AnCiEnT AlIeNs?!?! Or because they could and wanted too? That's how art works. He had the means, he had the skills, he had the resources, so why not do something neat with them? Also, clearly someone's seen it. Here we are, looking at it/talking about it.

The peruvians probably tough the gods could see the designs.

He may well have noticed the face-like or even the owl-like nature of the design. But do you really think that he actually started out to make it in the shape of a face or owl? Of is it just happenstance, and maybe he tweaked it slightly?

I really can't imagine it though. His goal was to make a design that could be enjoyed from the ground, that was what he was all about. That was his life work.

Of course we have no way of knowing, so it's kind of pointless arguing.

It does not really matter to OP's point though. I think we've established it's not Moloch :)

Dude, I'm not saying there's anything remotely significant about this. All I'm saying is I can see a clear artistic intention to depict an owl-like shape in the pathways. The only reason I'm getting so adamant on this point is because the arguments against it are thick as bricks. Like the suggestion that this likely fact
somehow negates the fact the pathways have an obviously intentional shape/design, and that shape bears a clear resemblance to a stylized owl. Of course he designed the paths to be aesthetically pleasing, power too him for endeavoring to emulate lush green pastures, and way-to-go in creating a truly pretty lawn for the capitol. How does any of that impede him from having tossed an owl-motif into that particular work, if only for personal shits and giggles?
As a guy with an keen interest in, if not a great talent for art and design, it's pretty clear to me those walkways intentionally form a symmetrical image, and that symmetrical image bears a distinct resemblance to a friggin' owl. That's just the way it is. As you said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Well sometimes an artistically designed pathway is just an artistically designed pathway! Be proud you had such a creative fellow do the landscaping on your capitol, don't refuse to acknowledge a truly interesting feature of his work just because some people might think its a representation of the Cow-Owl-Demon of the satanist elite.

For what it's worth round here, G, which is shit all (it has to be said), I think you're spot on.

Just the shape kind of fits over that picture of an owl. But the actual shape of the paths does not look like an owl to me. It looks far more reminiscent of a face:

Now to show my own comic book geekery. Mick has drawn a skrull from Marvel comics. Proof of early alien contact?

thanos_skrull1.png

It looks like a bunch of things. The actual satellite images look a lot more like an owl than the original design did. Grieve's extracted path image looks nothing like an owl to me. Yes, I think it's just a coincidence.

There's also a small owl on the 1 dollar bill.

Here's the entrance to Bohemian Grove (more recent picture), this place is located in the red wood forests of Northern California.

Once inside..

Attachments

• bohemiangroveowlceremon.jpg
    bohemiangroveowlceremon.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 2,513
Interesting circumstantial support for the owl theory - the Fredrick Law Olmsted School logo is an Owl:

Last edited:
There's also a small owl on the 1 dollar bill.

That's a bit dubious. Get a dollar bill and look though a magnify glass.

Here's the entrance to Bohemian Grove (more recent picture), this place is located in the red wood forests of Northern California.

Well, yeah, because it's their logo? So?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Grove
Since the founding of the club, the Bohemian Grove's mascot has been an owl, symbolizing knowledge. A 40-foot (12 m) hollow owl statue made of concrete over steel supports stands at the head of the lake in the Grove; this Owl Shrine was designed by sculptor and two-time club president Haig Patigian, and built in the 1920s.[17] Since 1929, the Owl Shrine has served as the backdrop of the yearly Cremation of Care ceremony.[2]

Last edited:
Justin Bieber just got an owl tattoo on his arm (he's a wannabe illuminati). When asked about the meaning of the tattoo he replied "it has a special, secret, meaning to me."

Justin Bieber just got an owl tattoo on his arm (he's a wannabe illuminati). When asked about the meaning of the tattoo he replied "it has a special, secret, meaning to me."

And why would that not be "wisdom", the traditional meaning of an owl?

And why would that not be "wisdom", the traditional meaning of an owl?
Because its Justin Beiber...? XD
My personal apologies as a Canadian for allowing that guy to cross the border, by the way.

Interesting circumstantial support for the owl theory - the Fredrick Law Olmsted School logo is an Owl:

Mick, does mean you think his design may be intentional ???

Mick, does mean you think his design may be intentional ???

No, I think they chose the owl symbol because they are a school for gifted children, and the owl represents knowledge and wisdom.

I'm just getting it out there, as it seemed people would think it was relevant. I've been unable to find an other connection between Olmsted and owls.

It's certainly a something, though what sort of something is anything but certain.
I like the American Dollar. Its all rich in tradition and semi-mysterious. Our 'paper' currency changes every 6 years or so, and is currently a sort of neon plastic-cellulose crap. Bugs the hell out me. Apparently melts on a hot dashboard. The Loonie is solid, though.
Tangent aside, what you said about the Peruvians earlier struck me just now, Mick:
The peruvians probably tough the gods could see the designs.
And that would be because Viracocha and Pachamama would have a birds eye view, yes? Are looking down on the whole image from above, and thus can see the full scope of it?
From what vantage would every full rendering of the path-system be composed? Every sketch, every drawing, every diagram, right from the very start to the final product including an illustrated building and little green trees? I don't understand the notion that the artist producing this symmetrical image didn't realize or consider what the symmetrical image might resemble as he was producing it, and make a conscious decision to proceed with that design.

Tangent aside, what you said about the Peruvians earlier struck me just now, Mick:

And that would be because Viracocha and Pachamama would have a birds eye view, yes? Are looking down on the whole image from above, and thus can see the full scope of it?
From what vantage would every full rendering of the path-system be composed? Every sketch, every drawing, every diagram, right from the very start to the final product including an illustrated building and little green trees? I don't understand the notion that the artist producing this symmetrical image didn't realize or consider what the symmetrical image might resemble as he was producing it, and make a conscious decision to proceed with that design.

Like I said in the same post:

He may well have noticed the face-like or even the owl-like nature of the design. But do you really think that he actually started out to make it in the shape of a face or owl? Of is it just happenstance, and maybe he tweaked it slightly?

It's not at all inconceivable that he saw something in the design. My object is that he's unlikely to have sacrificed much of the practical and aesthetic nature of the design just so he could shoehorn an owl in.

The Nazca Peruvians seemed to be doing their designs JUST for the benefit of the gods. Olmsted was doing it for people on the ground. It ended up looking a bit like an owl on paper. What's he going to do? No big deal.

lol, 'whats he going to do?' like it was an accident... wtf?! It was HIS paper! HIS design..! Oh, man. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back