Contrails in satellite images pre-1995

cmnit

Hi all,

after a heated chat with a chemtrailer, and looking at so many misinformed satellite images on their sites showing contrails, I would like to get some of these satellite images but before the 1995 "big bang" year.
I am sure there are some, although resolution was not so good at that time, and maybe I have seen some link about this but I can't recall where.

Help, anyone?

SR1419

Before the internet...and before "chemtrails", most likely the only people concerned with contrails via satellite images were scientists studying contrails and climate etc. So, scholarly articles on contrails from before 1995 is probably your best source for satellite images.

Here are 2 examples:

"A Satellite-Based Climatic Description of Jet Aircraft Contrails and Associations with
Atmospheric Conditions, 1977–79"

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0450(2000)039<1434:ASBCDO>2.0.CO;2

20140819-103444-2575o.jpg

"Jet Contrails and Cirrus Cloud: A Feasibility Study Employing High-Resolution Satellite Imagery" (1986)

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0477(1986)067<0301:JCACCA>2.0.CO;2
20140819-103531-f9abr.jpg
PS: Thanks to whomever embedded the photos :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cmnit

Thanks!
It would be even better to know some online image archive from met or remote sensing satellites,
since I am specifically looking for long contrails testing ISSR (Ice SuperSaturatioon Region) which are quite studied nowadays, but not well known in the past.
The point is that the specific chemtheorist I was arguing against, came out with a max range of 28 km for a contrail, quoting an old Air Force manual for pilots, while I am sure having seen contrails on modern satellite imaging which span about 1000 km.
I am aware of the SAC theory and of the fact that modern jet engines with higher efficiency favor the formation of contrails, but I still have to figure out how this fact could affect the total lenght of a persistent contrail given a certain ISSR pattern.
To conclude, ISSR are even simulated quite successfully nowadays. You can search on Google Scholar for this.

cmnit

The source is quoted in this tweet which includes a translation into Italian:

The Camouflage Handbook, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Lab, 1986, ch.1-12.

cloudspotter

Well the source might be quoated but I'm struggling to find a copy of it online and I can only find that text on chemtrail conspiracy sites.

Trailblazer

Staff member
Just a quick and rough job but I've overlaid that satellite image onto Google Maps to get a measure of the contrails. I chose a long "fresh" trail", but the older one that has spread is longer, of course. Still this one is well over 200 miles long.

output_WDBLJr.gif

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

But it does not say a max range of 28km, it says a typical contrail varies from 9 to 28km. The source seems a little vague (camouflage handbook?), and there are lots of atypical contrails.

Saying what is typical does not place any limits on anything.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I am aware of the SAC theory and of the fact that modern jet engines with higher efficiency favor the formation of contrails, but I still have to figure out how this fact could affect the total lenght of a persistent contrail given a certain ISSR pattern.
In general it would not affect it in a significant way, maybe 5% variance on average.

cmnit

Just a quick and rough job but I've overlaid that satellite image onto Google Maps to get a measure of the contrails. I chose a long "fresh" trail", but the older one that has spread is longer, of course. Still this one is well over 200 miles long.

View attachment 8585
Great job thanks!
Google saves your day over and over again ...

cmnit

But it does not say a max range of 28km, it says a typical contrail varies from 9 to 28km. The source seems a little vague (camouflage handbook?), and there are lots of atypical contrails.

Saying what is typical does not place any limits on anything.
Yes sure, this was my main line of reply to him.

Trailblazer

Staff member
Yes sure, this was my main line of reply to him.
It's worth noting that at cruising speed (say 900 km/hr), for a contrail to be only 9km long it could only last for 1/100 of an hour, or 36 seconds. A 28km-long trail would have to dissipate within 112 seconds, or less than two minutes.

It seems to me that this source was talking about non-persistent contrails.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
NOAA has a comprehensive but cumbersome archive of satellite image, going back to 1979 via their CLASS service:

http://www.nsof.class.noaa.gov/saa/products/welcome

In particular I've been looking at their AVHRR products, as they seem to be what was used in the book Spacious Skies, which has some excellent photos - mostly of cloud structures, but some with contrails, like this 1982 example:
20161005-144326-vc9sg.jpg

I'd like to look at the originals of these, so I'm trying to figure out how to download the raw data and convert it into an image. The above is dated 26/4/82 15:10/13:39

Searching that area and region gives stuff like:
upload_2016-10-5_14-54-55.png

This gives you some thumbnails, and this one does actually match the image from the book (different projection)
20161005-145700-bglv0.jpg

And here's the region with the contrails. You can't really see them in the thumbnails.
20161005-150124-dkwh8.jpg

To get the full resolution images it seems you need to download and convert the raw data which is in some AVHRR specific format.

To download the data you just need to get an account, then you submit requests for the files you want, they are extracted and they send you a link in a few minutes. I have not yet figured out how to actually convert them into images.

Swathviewer has some data going back to 1993, but can't seem to load files.
http://www.gina.alaska.edu/data/satellite/avhrr

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
I wonder if some of those old images would be useful for a debunk of Dane's latest post?

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/...eveals-shocking-proof-of-climate-engineering/

He uses lots of pictures of rippled clouds, not even contrails:

and claims that they are evidence of geoengineering:

[bunk] These images provide shocking and undeniable proof of the ongoing global climate engineering/geoengineering/solar radiation management assault on our planet and its life support systems. Highly toxic heavy metals and chemicals (that are systematically sprayed into our atmosphere from jet aircraft as part of the geoengineering/SRM programs) are manipulated with extremely powerful radio frequency signals.[/bunk]

Jay Reynolds

You can try searching NASA imagery from the Space shuttles. Some years ago I did a keyword search and saw many contrails that way.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It's rather frustrating that all that imagery is there, but one needs some rather archaic or expensive tools to access it. It seems like there should be something like WorldViewer, but for historical imagery.

cloudspotter

It's rather frustrating that all that imagery is there, but one needs some rather archaic or expensive tools to access it. It seems like there should be something like WorldViewer, but for historical imagery.
If only we knew of some computer uber geek who could put it together... :rolleyes:

Jay Reynolds

Trailblazer said:
I wonder if some of those old images would be useful for a debunk of Dane's latest post?
http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/...eveals-shocking-proof-of-climate-engineering/
He uses lots of pictures of rippled clouds, not even contrails:
and claims that they are evidence of geoengineering:
I looked over Dane's images, and found one of the originals at NASA:
http://www.livescience.com/55413-gravity-wave-clouds-off-africa-photo.html

Here is the original photo of the area which Dane cropped from:

Danetrick.jpg

What becomes obvious if you look at the original image is that the clouds moving off the coast replicate the coastline itself! It becomes clear that the coastline itself initiated the clouds, and gravity waves and winds are responsible for the ripples, not something frightening at all but perhaps awe inspiring.

I think that in Dane's mind he understood that folks might make that connection, and much more certainly if he had dared to show the link and risk his followers understanding more than his scaremongering.

It is rather like 'quoting out of context', but perhaps in Dane's mind he excused it as 'effective presentation';)

skephu

I don't know why some people think "wavy cloud = HAARP". Is it so hard to accept that air has waves, too?
And in Dane's mind: "I don't understand it --> it must be from geoengineering".

Jay Reynolds

He did not crop from that photo. His images are screenshots from NASA Worldview.
Agreed, but the NASA site did record an image of the same area at the same time.
I don't know why some people think "wavy cloud = HAARP". Is it so hard to accept that air has waves, too?
And in Dane's mind: "I don't understand it --> it must be from geoengineering".
In the webpage Dane wrote:

So, he asks a leading question, then hand waves that the subject is "inarguably" not gravity waves without saying anything further about gravity waves!

Maybe he didn't want to "confuse the issue" by introducing an argument from facts....;)

He did the same thing with "Ship Tracks" in 2012 and even though he's been informed about it nearly five years ago hasn't corrected it.
Debunked: Ship Trails Over the Pacific are Geoengineering "Chemtrails"

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West GOES-16 Satellite Images of Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
ki_cz Claim: Satellite imagery showing 'sheet' of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
SR1419 Water Vapor loop Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter The skies from above and below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 22
Mick West Explained: Giant "Contrails" going from Africa to Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Leifer Flightradar24 + Satellite Overlay - Contrails over South England and London Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mick West There Are No New Clouds, Just New Latin Classifications Contrails and Chemtrails 2
MikeC BBC: Biofuels 'could limit jet contrails' Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Spiral Contrails viewed from the International Space Station Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mick West Explained: Contrails Appear "Hot" in Thermal Imaging because the Sky Appears Very Cold Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Clouds Givemethewillies Why do inner contrails spread more than outer contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Close Up Videos of Contrails Forming And Evolving Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 19
Mick West Some "Black" Shadowed Aerodynamic Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Mick West Why Were There Contrails Today, But Not Yesterday? It's the Weather! Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: Irrefutable Film Footage Of Climate Engineering Aerosol Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Contrails over Sting & Peter Gabriel Concert in Lake Tahoe Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
Kaylene Contrails in USA vs. Austraila Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Related Articles

Related Articles