Claim: Julian Assange offered pardon to "Lie" for Trump

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of high stakes spin here, making things hard to parse. The RawStory headline is:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/ju...on-if-he-would-lie-about-russias-dnc-hacking/
This seems based on this Tweet:
Source: https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1230164682700443648

And this one:
Source: https://twitter.com/benlewismedia/status/1230172453185429505

Of course, if you are on the side that claims that Russia actually had nothing to do with the 2016 leak, then this isn't encouraging him to lie, it's encouraging him to tell the truth. It's unclear right now how Assange characterizes the truthiness of what he was asked to say.

It might even simply be a reference to the same story back in 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/15/roh...rump-deal-on-absolving-wikileaks-assange.html
So what's new? Assange (or his lawyer) referencing this deal in court. Will this actually show that the people asking him this were asking him to lie? Or asking him to confirm what they thought (at the time) was true?

Trump supporters, of course, will read this as the latter. But, as extensively documented in the Muller report, based on work by the US intelligence services, the Russians DID orchestrate the DNC leak.
https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf
Assange has previously pushed (but not explicitly laid out) the idea that the leak actually came from DNC staffer Seth Rich, who later died in what Law Enforcement described as a "botched robbery".

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
Will this actually show that the people asking him this were asking him to lie? Or asking him to confirm what they thought (at the time) was true?

didn't Assange always say he did not get those documents from the Russians?

your 2017 story doesn't say they want him to lie. it says they want him to produce evidence (although why anyone cares if Russia hacked the dnc or not, im not sure).

edit add:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Democratic_National_Committee_email_leak

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
oh this is his extradition hearing.
https://www.businessinsider.com/julian-assange-trial-offered-pardon-deny-russia-2016-dnc-hack-2020-2

but the U.S. charges have to do with Chelsea Manning, which was under Obamas watch I think. we probably need a hearing transcript because what the DNC hack has to do with his extradition being "political" isn't really making sense to me.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
we probably need a hearing transcript because what the DNC hack has to do with his extradition being "political" isn't really making sense to me.

I suspect Assange's lawyers are trying to make the case that he will not get a fair trial in the US, and will use this supposed pardon offer as evidence of extrajudicial intent or some sort. Since he wasn't pardoned, then he could make the case that the Trump admin would want to punish him for not taking their deal.

Regardless, it's causing a huge amount of speculation and theories.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Swift denials from the White House:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51566470
Some background on Trump and Rohrabacher:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/04/politics/donald-trump-dana-rohrabacher-putin/index.html
So "barely knows" does not entirely ring true. Of course, a President meets with a lot of people.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
More from back in 2017:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/politics/dana-rohrabacher-julian-assange-wikileaks/index.html
It seems like the current claim is probably based on Rohrabacher's actions, but framed as if Rohrabacher represented the US government (or Trump).

Since it was ruled admissible, then I'd imagine clarification is forthcoming.

deirdre

Senior Member.
your link also says
the wiki thing has Assange saying it was not the Russians in January of 2017.
the Mueller report came out April 2019.

Mr Fitzgerald said a statement from Assange's lawyer Jennifer Robinson shows "Mr Rohrabacher going to see Mr Assange and saying, on instructions from the president, he was offering a pardon or some other way out, if Mr Assange... said Russia had nothing to do with the DNC leaks."

and what is this dot dot dot... ? so far i cant find Jennifer's statement in full, all the articles have the dot dot dot. weird place for a dot dot dot.

deirdre

Senior Member.
but framed as if Rohrabacher represented the US government (or Trump).
well it is possible when he meant with Trump in April 2017 he mentioned Assange and his claim that Russia didn't do it and Trump said something like "He's a good guy. It would be great if he would prove Russia didn't do the hack"

(edit add: regarding my Trump paraphrase speculation: only because remember the hack was part of everyone saying Trump was colluding with Russia, so at least if Assange gave proof that would be one accusation against Trump taken off the table)

I'm not saying Stefanie Grisham is lying. maybe she asked Trump and he just has no recollection. That was what his 3rd month in office. for a guy with no political experience.. he probably had a lot on his plate and wouldn't remember most conversations or whose face goes with which conversation. Although, Grisham should use language more like "he has no recollection of any conversation like that"

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
and what is this dot dot dot... ? so far i cant find Jennifer's statement in full, all the articles have the dot dot dot. weird place for a dot dot dot.
It's not her statement. The quote appears to be Assange’s barrister, Edward Fitzgerald QC, describing a statement from Assange’s lawyer Jennifer Robinson. If it's a court transcript, then it might just be a pause or repeated words, or "your honour", or even "*coughs* excuse me"

deirdre

Senior Member.
:) a "cough" doesn't bode well in the truth department in that sentence placement either :)

note: i'm not arguing the claim, just the insinuation of the claim as written. but ive already shown the timeline, which shows no "lying" in real time. Assange was claiming that prior to meeting the congressman in august.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Assange was claiming that prior to meeting the congressman in august.
If there was any offered quid-pro-quo, I'd suspect it would be based on Assange supplying evidence, or at least more details, like the "real" source of the leak.

deirdre

Senior Member.
the original story (2017) said "a pardon or "something like that"". so I started thinking but to be pardoned he'd have to get convicted and be IN America. that does not seem to be the case.

unfortunately different wiki entries on pardons give different info on "pardon" rules. (I haven't attempted to try and read the actual Article Two of the Constitution).

but contrary to some entries which say otherwise, it does seem you can pardon before a conviction
https://abalegalfactcheck.com/articles/pardons.html

but so far everything im finding says if you accept a pardon then it is also an admission of guilt.

Not that Trump would have known this having only been president a few months. I guess Assange might be ok with that... being guilty but pardoned. it's interesting (to me).

Bruno D.

Senior Member.
... (although why anyone cares if Russia hacked the dnc or not, im not sure).

Not to deviate the discussion and go off-topic, but if a country interferes with a US election (hacking DNC emails, cherry-picking the worst of them and releasing them close to the election), they need to be sanctioned - so, yes, everyone in US should care if Russia hacked DNC or if whateverkistan hacked RNC. A state-sponsored operation, if proven, needs to be punished, therefore, needs to be investigated.

deirdre

Senior Member.
Not to deviate the discussion and go off-topic, but if a country interferes with a US election (hacking DNC emails, cherry-picking the worst of them and releasing them close to the election), they need to be sanctioned - so, yes, everyone in US should care if Russia hacked DNC or if whateverkistan hacked RNC. A state-sponsored operation, if proven, needs to be punished, therefore, needs to be investigated.
I meant it the opposite way you seem to think. the topic (and my specific wording) is that Trump allegedly tried to bribe Assange into lying about the source.

I get they were trying to tie the hack to Trump too as a big part of his "colluding with Russia", but since he knew (as far as Mueller could determine) that he didn't collude about the hack, then it's kinda silly to try to take Russia out of the hack equation. If the hack was just some random Ukrainian or Republican, that would be harder to prove Trump didn't collude with them because they wouldn't know who EXACTLY they were supposed to see if Trump colluded with. They'd have to investigate literally everyone Trump ever had contact with, vs. just looking for ties to Trump and Russians. I'm sure Trump met with a lot more Republicans than Russians.

(and Comey said they did try to hack the RNC but we had better server security. The only bad thing that came out was that they were biased against Bernie, it's not really Russia's fault the DNC were dumb enough to put that in writing. :) )

Last edited:

Agent K

"Rohrabacher confirms he offered Trump pardon to Assange for proof Russia didn't hack DNC email"
https://news.yahoo.com/rohrabacher-...of-russia-didnt-hack-dnc-email-131438007.html

Agent K

If there was any offered quid-pro-quo, I'd suspect it would be based on Assange supplying evidence, or at least more details, like the "real" source of the leak.

Rohrabacher told the WSJ in 2017, “He would get nothing, obviously, if what he gave us was not proof.”

deirdre

Senior Member.
"Rohrabacher confirms he offered Trump pardon to Assange for proof Russia didn't hack DNC email"
https://news.yahoo.com/rohrabacher-...of-russia-didnt-hack-dnc-email-131438007.html

There are also media sources of Rohrabacher saying similar stuff back in 2017. one ex for this Washington Post article
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-we-know-about-it/ar-BB10ayp1?ocid=spartanntp

deirdre

Senior Member.
It's not her statement. The quote appears to be Assange’s barrister, Edward Fitzgerald QC, describing a statement from Assange’s lawyer Jennifer Robinson. If it's a court transcript, then it might just be a pause or repeated words, or "your honour", or even "*coughs* excuse me"

several news are filling in the dots as "played ball".

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...-would-trump-offer-a-pardon-to-julian-assange

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/president-trump-offered-assange-pardon-20200220-p542hl.html

BombDr

Senior Member.
This story is interesting as each party in it has a different reason to lie, and no reason to tell the truth.

Assange wants as many strategic level headlines as this adds to his narrative of 'deep state dark forces' etc as has already pointed out, to bolster his lack of fair trial argument. As an aside, 'lack of fair trial' has never worked in a US extradition case in the UK. Julian is also quite happy to go on RT.

Trump always lies, but really needs someone to say that it wasn't Russia, and the Seth Rich distraction works well or in addition to his Ukrainian assertion.

Rohrabacher.... who knows? Hes made a lot of odd statements about Russia, and this was prior to his (failed) reelection, and seeing as unilateral privateer foreign policy missions from the US are something of a banality now, he may have gone rogue in order to impress Trump, without actually having a pardon to trade...

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
P Claim: UFO Black Knight Satellite spotted over Philippines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 2
Mick West Explained: Trump's Claim of Suspicious Early Morning Michigan Bump [It's Detroit] Election 2020 1
Mick West Claim: R-Squared Coefficient of Determination as a Election Fraud Signal Election 2020 5
Akton Claim: Ballots in Wayne County were run through the tabulator and counted as many as 4-5 times Election 2020 16
Mick West Trump's Claim that "THE OBSERVERS WERE NOT ALLOWED INTO THE COUNTING ROOMS." Election 2020 6
P Claim: Authorities supressed alleged UFO findings of a reporter of the 1965 Kecksburg crash UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
M Claim: Hints of life on Venus: Scientists detect phosphine molecules in high cloud decks UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 20
Shade sitter Claim: Covid vaccine gives you "Serpent" DNA/marks you 666 Coronavirus COVID-19 9
P Claim: Ronald Reagan warned the world of aliens/alien invasion UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
P Claim: Man took photo of an alien spacecraft in 2016 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
Arugula Claim: Only 6% of COVID deaths are "real" - the rest died due to comorbidities Coronavirus COVID-19 11
P Claim: Finding of potentially chemiluminescent compound in soil proves aliens landed UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 11
M Claim: UFO performs sharp maneuver after laser pointer directly hits craft UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 20
Critical Thinker Claim: Correlations Between Media Preference and Coronavirus Infection Rates Coronavirus COVID-19 11
L Claim: NASA is doctoring an image [Scanner Dirt] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Martin Gugino Was Using a "Police Tracker." Conspiracy Theories 42
Rory Claim: A dog in Manchester could sense its owner's return by unknown means UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
jarlrmai Claim: UFO following jet into landing at JFK on 11/11/19 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Dingo Claim: U.S. Covid-19 Deaths are being Artificially Inflated Coronavirus COVID-19 38
W Claim: The Heart Is Not A Pump Health and Quackery 6
J Another sun path claim Flat Earth 4
J Claim sun paths prove flat earth Flat Earth 41
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
Rory Claim: Spanish flu caused by radio waves Coronavirus COVID-19 3
J [False] Claim that Scale Model of 2017 Eclipse Disproves the Heliocentric Model Flat Earth 29
Rory Claim: UK Coronavirus Bill (HC Bill 122) means "bad things" Coronavirus COVID-19 9
Mick West Claim: China Mobile loses 8.116 Million subscribers because of Coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 2
Agent K Claim: Harvey Weinstein has coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 9
Jesse3959 FE Claim Debunked: JTolan Epic Gravity Experiment - Flat earther disproves Perspective! (or his instruments.) Flat Earth 0
Wiggles Claim: Distant Objects Being Obscured Is Due To the "Mirror Blocking" Effect of Inferior Mirages Flat Earth 7
Mick West Claim: Section 13.1 on Vaccine Inserts Removed to Hide that Vaccines not Tested to Cause Cancer Conspiracy Theories 7
Rory Claim: footage of Great South Bay Bridge supports flat earth Flat Earth 11
mudr0 Claim: Australia was not visible from the moon for Apollo 11 Broadcasts Conspiracy Theories 7
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Moon Passing The Meridian Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 0
Z.W. Wolf Claim: Seeing The Same Stars All Year Disproves Globe Earth Flat Earth 20
Mick West Claim: Fertility Clinics are a new thing (David Icke) Conspiracy Theories 12
Rory Claim: Nasa' in Hebrew means "to deceive" Flat Earth 11
Leifer Claim: magnetic dust on cars proves chemtrail fallout Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
Marin B Claim: Passenger luggage limited to make room for chemical tanks Contrails and Chemtrails 15
MikeG Claim: DC officials are "flocking" to "Doomsday Camps" Conspiracy Theories 4
StarGazer Convex Earth Claim: Ships Disappear Below The Horizon Due To A Optical Phenomena Flat Earth 3
Nth Claim: 146 Mile Microwave Transmission Proves Flat Earth Flat Earth 26
FlightMuj Apollo 12 photo analysis shows Sun as bulb [claim] Conspiracy Theories 19
inkwell American Airlines Flight 77 Missing from Bureau of Transportation Departure Report 9/11 12
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
derwoodii Claim Melania Trump has a double, will the real 1st lady please stand up Conspiracy Theories 11
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
Z.W. Wolf Claim: The Moon's Shadow During The Solar Eclipse Disproves Sphere Earth Flat Earth 97
B Claim: Flu vaccine from multi-dose vials Use Too Much Mercury Health and Quackery 19
Related Articles

Related Articles