Circular Contrails over Dorset? [Likely military exercise]

The APA at Netheravon mostly use a Cessna Caravan, which I don't think produces contrails.

As for the GR4s, Im at the defence academy (not all promotions are good:() now so not too clued in to RAF Marham on a day to day basis, but there are a few possibilities, in that Salisbury Plain, Sennybridge and Lolworth Cove are all within that area, and Castlemartin ranges are on the south welsh coast. All the jets are fleet managed now, so Sqn markings and livery on the planes are not a good indicator of who is actually flying them now.

If they are working with JTACs on exercise, they will sit 'in the wheel' for quite a while whilst tracking a target on the ground. The pilots apparently get very bored doing this, as one demonstrated by spinning me round on my office chair to illustrate his frustration. Its mostly backseat action.

This is probably OT, but this morning about 11:20 BST (10:20 UTC) I saw two Tornado jets that appeared to have taken off from the Cambridge Airport. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me (again:oops:), but took a few pictures with iPhone. By the time I get it ready, the planes turned south and headed away:
View attachment 13164
I do not know why they were here. Perhaps, it was just a flypast over the Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group who do some contract work for MoD. Or it could be a part of some tour around the UK. Any info on this is welcome.

This is probably OT, but this morning about 11:20 BST (10:20 UTC) I saw two Tornado jets that appeared to have taken off from the Cambridge Airport. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me (again:oops:), but took a few pictures with iPhone. By the time I get it ready, the planes turned south and headed away:
View attachment 13164
I do not know why they were here. Perhaps, it was just a flypast over the Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group who do some contract work for MoD. Or it could be a part of some tour around the UK. Any info on this is welcome.
Cambridge has been a 'Div' or divert airfield in the past, but it is quite rare.

Back