Astronomer Marian Rudnyk UFO convert

So his changing stories about finding the secret film has no evidence to back it up and is dubious at best and now you, johne, are showing that his calculations about multiple UFOs floating over heavily populated SoCal are also problematic. And he thinks there are long term spy balloons floating around (post #37).

How credible do you find him now?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't get the impression that you posted this in the spirit of "Hey guys, this person is full of BS, please help me debunk him". I get the feeling that you post things like this as credible sources of UFO/paranormal information.

I still find it hard to believe that he entirely made up the story about discovering the Gemini film canisters under the floor.

I don't understand how he determined the distance to objects of unknown size from photos taken from a single viewpoint.

It is funny that he mistook a Pony balloon for some sort of spying device. Also on the face of it he seems rather paranoid about military planes near his house. It does make one question his judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still find it hard to believe that he entirely made up the story about discovering the Gemini film canisters under the floor.
no offense, but you find all sorts of normal, everyday things hard to believe. you find it hard to believe the UFOs are balloons when you are literally looking at them with your own two eyes.

what i find hard to believe is that someone can be making money by claiming a unicorn balloon is a spy device. or that anyone would believe that every few months a ufo flies over this guy.

i mean... c'mon.

Just to follow up a bit, I found this description of the camera equipment used, at least on Gemini IV.

Their cameras included not only the NASA-modified Hasselblad Model 500-C used successfully on previous flights, but also super-wide-angle Hasselblads with Zeiss Biogon 38-mm lenses and 70-mm space cameras with Xenotar 80-mm lenses.
Content from External Source
https://www.history.nasa.gov/SP-168/section3b.htm

Which is interesting because, while I can't find any reference to "missing film frames of UFOs from Gemini spacecraft" except for Rudnyk's own claim, I can find the famous and publicly available photos of the "Gemini IV UFO" right out there on the web:

1645191088164.png
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

So it's not that secret!

And was probably just space junk:

Yet McDivitt himself has never made much of his sighting, however often he has politely retold the tale to fascinated audiences and interviewers. He remains of the mind that he saw some unidentified but still man-made piece of orbital debris. There is no evidence anybody took the slightest official notice, nor is there any record that the astronaut ever filed a UFO report with Project Blue Book.
http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case978.htm

I don't understand how he determined the distance to objects of unknown size from photos taken from a single viewpoint.

It is funny that he mistook a Pony balloon for some sort of spying device. Also on the face of it he seems rather paranoid about military planes near his house. It does make one question his judgement.
I marked "agree" on that, on the grounds that I agree with the majority of the points. I agree that it is unclear how, or even if, he determined the distance to the objects. I agree that the points you mention, among others, makes one question his judgement.

As to the first point, I don't find it hard to believe that a person might totally make up an unlikely sounding story -- history is filled with instances of people who have done that. I'll also note that there is at least some range of possibillites between "he actually found missing cannisters of Gemini film under the floorboards," and "he totally made it up." Examples might include "he found some film in the floor at JPL that he assumed was missing Gemini film stock when in fact it was a copy of already known footage" or "he found something he assumed was film stock under the floorboards but since they wouldn't let him take it home, since it belonged to them, not him, he couldn't really verify anything -- but it makes a good story if you assume it was Really Important Secret Stuff and Men In Black equivalents took it away from you for nefarious purpouses, so let's go with the better story." Or other possibilities. I am not saying either of those is likely to be the answer -- but in addition to lying his @@@ off, which humans sometimes do, there are options like "he was wrong" or "he took a story that wasn't quite as cool as it might have been and added cooler bits." If one wanted to think better of him, one could hope it was one of those sorts of situations.

(Typos corrected...)

Last edited:
He could also be doing an experiment to find out what sort of people swallow silly stories.

This a great story to analyze just on the face of it, never mind evidence or the changing details or the un-named other people involved. What is the actual story saying? At it's heart, it's a hero quest, or in Western Christan terms, a testimony or conversion story. Let's break it down:

1. The hero and the troupe.
It starts with our hero finding the film cans. Finding a lost or secret treasure or knowledge is a standard plot device used all the time. The discovery will start our hero on his path to conversion. It's a troupe. And where does he find the treasure, in storage room or locker? No, he has to rip up the carpet and go down in the crawl space of the building. This is Gilgamesh or Aeneous going into the underworld. Our hero has to go into the bowels of the JPL to discover the secret treasure. After finding it though, he's not too sure what he has, but that's ok because now comes:

2. The Oracle and the Grimoire.
Our hero learns about the significance of the treasure (film) from the Oracle, the keeper of secret wisdom. In this case, it's the coworker/friend that's into UFOlogy. And he has a Grimoire to help understand the treasure, that is, a notebook that apparently lists all the films taken from the Gemini spacecrafts and where to find pictures of UFOs on the films according to UFO lore. He's the keeper of secrets and the ancient written wisdom the explains the treasure. And what is revealed? The need to quest on:

3. The Conversion and Quest:
Turns out the treasure creates more questions than answers. The frames mentioned in the notebook have been removed. The treasure is incomplete, evil forces (government) have conspired to hide the truth and even this incomplete treasure is too valuable and has to be confiscated and once again hidden away. Yet, these hidden truths reveal the greater truth. There is yet more secret knowledge to obtain. Our hero is now converted, in modern speech he has swallowed the Red pill. He now moves on like Sir Galahad searching for the Grail and spreading the gospel of UFOlogy.

On a side note, it's full of other clever devices to make it nearly unfalsifiable and timeless. The sceptic is asked to prove a negative. We can show that, according to historical records is very unlikely that there would have been Gemini films at JPL, but it can't be proven. We can probably find all the photos taken by the Gemini crafts archived somewhere, but he has already said the evidence is missing.

He never actually saw any UFO pictures, therefore he's not locked into any particular UFO/alien zeitgeist. Had he said he saw pictures of flying saucers with little green men back then and now we know the aliens are grey and travel in tic-tacs, it would have dated his story. But he didn't see anything, so what he did not see can be applied to any scenario.

Mendel pointed out to me that in the above post (#51) point 1, I misspelled "trope" as "troupe". As "troupe" was spelled correctly I didn't get a red line and didn't notice. I didn't get a chance to go back and edited it before the window closed, so my bad.

Please read "troupe" as "trope".

Exactly. Though John says "in his book Rudnyk calculated the size of the objects".

Perhaps John could contact him and ask him how he arrived at the ground distance?

I got a reply from Marian Rudnyk. He confirmed that he just estimated the distance by eye given his knowledge of the local area, the cloud deck heights and reference landmarks.

In his book he estimates that the objects are at a ground distance of 2640 ft and diameter of 18 ft. If they were big balloons of size 2 ft then their ground distance would be 2640 * (2/18) = 293 ft.

If the objects were that close wouldn't he notice? They would be just across the intersection.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the objects were that close [300 ft/100m] wouldn't he notice? They would be just across the intersection.
Humans are notoriously bad at estimating even medium distances without cues such as object size or observer motion.

Article:
Stereoscopic vision works most effectively for distances up to 18 feet. Beyond this distance, your brain starts using relative size and motion to determine depth.

Article:
If an O[bserver] is presented with unfamiliar objects in a situation where secondary cues to distance are lacking (e .g., an otherwise completely dark room), his judgments of size and distance are not reliably related to the actual sizes and distances of the objects.
It is not simply that such judgments are inaccurate, but rather that their variability, both between and within as, is so large as to make it virtually impossible to establish psychophysical functions.

Article:
jov-10-6-19-fig003.jpeg.jpg

The data in the last quote refers to a setup in a dark railway tunnel with a LED at the "observation distance" (with the tunnel being "dark" or "light" up to that distance), and a second LED at an additional "depth" behind it.

This is similar to the observation here, as the distance to the traffic lights would be estimable from visual cues, but visual cues to the depth of the flying objects behind would be completely missing, except for the imagined size and speed of the UFOs—the sky is empty.

Agreeing with @Mendel. I always doubt witness "object size" "calculations". Not only because of the by experiment proven distance judging phenomena, but the premeditated assumptions.

I got a reply from Marian Rudnyk. He confirmed that he just estimated the distance by eye given his knowledge of the local area, the cloud deck heights and reference landmarks.

Thanks for doing that: it's always good, if we can, to go to the source.

As pointed out above - and as common sense should tell us - I would propose that those estimates are basically worthless.

I wonder where that leaves this case - and Rudnyk's credibility - then?

Thanks for doing that: it's always good, if we can, to go to the source.

As pointed out above - and as common sense should tell us - I would propose that those estimates are basically worthless.

I wonder where that leaves this case - and Rudnyk's credibility - then?
For me the jury is still out!

This a great story to analyze just on the face of it, never mind evidence or the changing details or the un-named other people involved. What is the actual story saying? At it's heart, it's a hero quest, or in Western Christan terms, a testimony or conversion story. Let's break it down:

1. The hero and the troupe.
It starts with our hero finding the film cans. Finding a lost or secret treasure or knowledge is a standard plot device used all the time. The discovery will start our hero on his path to conversion. It's a troupe. And where does he find the treasure, in storage room or locker? No, he has to rip up the carpet and go down in the crawl space of the building. This is Gilgamesh or Aeneous going into the underworld. Our hero has to go into the bowels of the JPL to discover the secret treasure. After finding it though, he's not too sure what he has, but that's ok because now comes:

2. The Oracle and the Grimoire.
Our hero learns about the significance of the treasure (film) from the Oracle, the keeper of secret wisdom. In this case, it's the coworker/friend that's into UFOlogy. And he has a Grimoire to help understand the treasure, that is, a notebook that apparently lists all the films taken from the Gemini spacecrafts and where to find pictures of UFOs on the films according to UFO lore. He's the keeper of secrets and the ancient written wisdom the explains the treasure. And what is revealed? The need to quest on:

3. The Conversion and Quest:
Turns out the treasure creates more questions than answers. The frames mentioned in the notebook have been removed. The treasure is incomplete, evil forces (government) have conspired to hide the truth and even this incomplete treasure is too valuable and has to be confiscated and once again hidden away. Yet, these hidden truths reveal the greater truth. There is yet more secret knowledge to obtain. Our hero is now converted, in modern speech he has swallowed the Red pill. He now moves on like Sir Galahad searching for the Grail and spreading the gospel of UFOlogy.

On a side note, it's full of other clever devices to make it nearly unfalsifiable and timeless. The sceptic is asked to prove a negative. We can show that, according to historical records is very unlikely that there would have been Gemini films at JPL, but it can't be proven. We can probably find all the photos taken by the Gemini crafts archived somewhere, but he has already said the evidence is missing.

He never actually saw any UFO pictures, therefore he's not locked into any particular UFO/alien zeitgeist. Had he said he saw pictures of flying saucers with little green men back then and now we know the aliens are grey and travel in tic-tacs, it would have dated his story. But he didn't see anything, so what he did not see can be applied to any scenario.
This is a masterpiece. And now this guy is in the news again, making all kinds of wild claims that he's being followed and threatened...apparently NASA has a very slow acting and lazy league of assassins working for it who allow people actively spreading alarming info about their clients to openly work and hold conferences for 30 years...

And now this guy is in the news again, making all kinds of wild claims that he's being followed and threatened...
It probably has nothing to do with the fact that a whistleblower making all kinds of wild claims that he's being followed and threatened has made it to a Congress hearing, does it?

Last edited:
he has two images up on twitter he alleges is of an MIB agent explicitly threatening him at a restaurant....IMAGES. Not a video with audio mind you, just a random picture. apparently our elite CIA assassin intimidator is totally confident that he won't be recorded making illegal death threats by the person holding a phone in their hand, and our good friend Marian censors the face of this evil thug to......protect him?
...how are people on reddit and twitter not picking up on how outrageously absurd this is?

deranged.jpg

Last edited:
he has an image up on twitter he alleges is of an MIB agent explicitly threatening him at a restaurant....an IMAGE
dated May 8, 2022 — none of this is new.
I'm actually thankful that they've learned to protect the privacy of innocent bystanders.
Article:
These actions have been taken out of concern for national security considerations.

F37Rl0CXcAA3c8J.jpeg.jpg
dated March 8, 2019

Screenshot_20230821-090435_Samsung Internet.jpg
dated August 28, 2019

Source:
Source: https://twitter.com/MarianRudnyk/status/1693020986126332309

Last edited:
dated May 8, 2022 — none of this is new.
I'm actually thankful that they've learned to protect the privacy of innocent bystanders.

F37Rl0CXcAA3c8J.jpeg.jpg
dated March 8, 2019

Screenshot_20230821-090435_Samsung Internet.jpg
dated August 28, 2019

Source:
Source: https://twitter.com/MarianRudnyk/status/1693020986126332309

"note that the pilot is looking directly at me" is so on brand. The pilot is literally like 6 pixels. How did this conversation at the illuminati go-"this ex-astronomer makes posts and gives talks we don't like, rather than just heart attack gun him let's send a helicopter to buzz his house".
I was actually kind of excited by all the weird videos a few years back but the more i've learned about all of this the more abjectly frightened I am at the total loss of critical thinking skills by a huge chunk of people. EVERYTHING about these images screams that this man invents grandiose narratives around mundane happenings in his life.

"note that the pilot is looking directly at me" is so on brand. The pilot is literally like 6 pixels. How did this conversation at the illuminati go-"this ex-astronomer makes posts and gives talks we don't like, rather than just heart attack gun him let's send a helicopter to buzz his house".
"Be sure to patrol the foothills and canyons afterwards, as if you were searching for someone, so that he doesn't get the impression it's about him."

Pretty sure the pilot was looking to see if Rudnyk was the person they were searching for.

EVERYTHING about these images screams that this man invents grandiose narratives around mundane happenings in his life.
He posted a video on twitter the other day allegedly showing a MIB helicopter "harassing" him...by just circling overhead a couple of times. In replies to comments about the helicopter being registered to the police dept, he said the MIB can just take the police helicopters whenever they want to attack him. It took me 2 seconds on google to find there was a police chase around the area at the same time he filmed the helicopter.
Source: https://twitter.com/MonkeeSage/status/1692078125637660799

He posted a video on twitter the other day allegedly showing a MIB helicopter "harassing" him...by just circling overhead a couple of times. In replies to comments about the helicopter being registered to the police dept, he said the MIB can just take the police helicopters whenever they want to attack him. It took me 2 seconds on google to find there was a police chase around the area at the same time he filmed the helicopter.
Source: https://twitter.com/MonkeeSage/status/1692078125637660799

The geometer in me noticed that the video[*] begins with a view of the front left of the chopper, then the front, then the front right, then the right, then the rear right, then the rear, then the rear left. The commentary then has the wonderful phrase "he started circling me". Nope, that's it circling someone else. If he was circling you, you'd see the left, then the left, then the left, then the left, then the left, and then more of the left. Or, maybe the right, right, right, right, right, and right, if the pilot prefers clockwise.

But how dare you destroy his narrative and make it not all about him - he's going to need to find some other thing that's all about him now!

[*] from the parent post to MonkeySage's:
Source: https://twitter.com/MonkeeSage/status/1691674526332178577
(refs all hand-edited, may have bugs)

The geometer in me noticed that the video[*] begins with a view of the front left of the chopper, then the front, then the front right, then the right, then the rear right, then the rear, then the rear left. The commentary then has the wonderful phrase "he started circling me". Nope, that's it circling someone else. If he was circling you, you'd see the left, then the left, then the left, then the left, then the left, and then more of the left. Or, maybe the right, right, right, right, right, and right, if the pilot prefers clockwise.
Proven via 2:16:
Screenshot_20230821-150636_Samsung Internet.jpg

0:42, there's a failure to recognize the Doppler effect, which makes the helicopter noise pitch up as it moved towards the listener; the engine rpm is not changing, it just sounds as if it does. Helicopters typically don't speed up by "revving the engine", but rather by adjusting the pitch of the blades via the cyclic and collective controls.
Notice the engine noise rev up as he speeds up to come at me yet again...
Screenshot_20230821-150741_Samsung Internet.jpg

Proven via 2:16:
Screenshot_20230821-150636_Samsung Internet.jpg

0:42, there's a failure to recognize the Doppler effect, which makes the helicopter noise pitch up as it moved towards the listener; the engine rpm is not changing, it just sounds as if it does. Helicopters typically don't speed up by "revving the engine", but rather by adjusting the pitch of the blades via the cyclic and collective controls.
Notice the engine noise rev up as he speeds up to come at me yet again...

An "astronomer" who doesn't understand red shifts. Interesting.

Two follow-up questions seem obligatory at this point:
1) Please draw on the map the approximate circle around you you think the helicopter was flying.
And when that appears, and is screencapped for immutability:
2) Please mark on that circle where the pilot was "coming at you".

However, at this stage, it's starting to feel like punching down.

Wow, quite a new rehash to an old thread. Johne1618 doesn't seem to be around anymore, but I wonder if "the jury is still out" on this guy for him?

Just came across this thread. Sheesh...this OP video has to be just about the blurriest UFO video I have ever seen. I had to watch it several times in order to see anything there at all. It is not even worth analysing.

Back