Air Algerie Flight AH5017 carrying 116 disappears from radar

a few places seem to be claiming it crashed in Niger--unable to see the full article due to it being blocked at work

Air Algerie plane crashes in Niger — Algerian TV World July 24, 15:43

ITAR-TASS - ‎39 minutes ago‎

MADRID, July 24. /Alexander Shernosvitov for ITAR-TASS/. Air Algerie's passenger plane has crashed in the Republic of Niger, Algerian TV reports. There were 116 people on board. According to preliminary reports, 80 of them were citizens of France.

An Air Algerie flight en route to Algiers from Burkina Faso with 116 people aboard -- including 50 French citizens -- disappeared from radar early Thursday over the Sahara.

Air navigation services lost track of AH0517 about 50 minutes after takeoff at 0155 GMT, the Algerian news agency APS reports. That means that it had been missing for hours before the news was made public.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/world/2014/07/24/algerian-plane-disappears/13084329/
I heard the plane's last ATC contact was for a route change due to severe weather. And if I'm not mistaken there was just an accident including a c-130 military transport killing 77 people back in February in this area due to mountainous terrain and bad weather

I probably should have posted this to the "chit chat" section as there are no (to my knowledge) conspiracies being tossed about (yet, but I'm sure they will come)

I probably should have posted this to the "chit chat" section as there are no (to my knowledge) conspiracies being tossed about (yet, but I'm sure they will come)

Only because of a familiar adage about "things coming in threes". Airline-related incidents tend to get attention in the news.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/world/africa/air-algerie-crash/

(CNN) -- French forces secured the site of a crashed Air Algerie flight in Mali, and found one flight recorder but no survivors, French President Francoise Hollande said Friday.

Wreckage of the jet was found in a "disintegrated state" in northern Mali, he said, making it the third major international aviation disaster in recent days.

"There are unfortunately no survivors. I share the pain of the families who are living a horrible ordeal," he said. Hollande said the families would be welcomed to the Foreign Ministry Saturday to be given all the latest information.
Content from External Source
It is being reported also that is might have been sandstorms that played a role.

making it the third major international aviation disaster in recent days.
What was the second?

making it the third major international aviation disaster in recent days.
What was the second?

GE222

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransAsia_Flight_GE_222

TransAsia Airways Flight 222 (GE222/TNA222)[4] was a scheduled domestic passenger flight using an ATR 72-500 airliner that crashed during a landing attempt at Magong, Penghu Island, Taiwan, on 23 July 2014. It tried a go-around after an unsuccessful landing attempt before crashing. Flight 222 was travelling from Kaohsiung International Airport to Magong Airport with 54 passengers and 4 crew members on board.

The death toll reached 48 and 10 people had survived the crash,[5][6][3] revised from the earliest reports of 51 fatalities. Typhoon Matmo had passed through Taiwan earlier that day, causingstrong winds and torrential rain;[7] some 200 airline flights had been canceled earlier in the day due to rain and strong winds. It was Taiwan's first fatal air accident in 12 years.[8]

Back