"Advanced Aerial Threats" In Report on US Congress' Intelligence Authorization Act For Fiscal Year 2021

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

INTELLIGENCE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR
FISCAL YEAR 2021
JUNE 17, 2020.—Ordered to be printed
Mr. RUBIO, from the Select Committee on Intelligence,
submitted the following

Advanced Aerial Threats

The Committee supports the efforts of the Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon Task Force at the Office of Naval Intelligence to standardize collection and reporting on unidentified aerial phenomenon, any links they have to adversarial foreign governments, and the threat they pose to U.S. military assets and installations. However, the Committee remains concerned that there is no unified, comprehensive process within the Federal Government for collecting and analyzing intelligence on unidentified aerial phenomena, despite the potential threat. The Committee understands that the relevant intelligence may be sensitive; nevertheless, the Committee finds that the information sharing and coordination across the Intelligence Community has been inconsistent, and this issue has lacked attention from senior leaders.

Therefore, the Committee directs the DNI, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense and the heads of such other agencies as the Director and Secretary jointly consider relevant, to submit a report within 180 days of the date of enactment of the Act, to the congressional intelligence and armed services committees on unidentified aerial phenomena (also known as ‘‘anomalous aerial vehicles’’), including observed airborne objects that have not been identified.

The Committee further directs the report to include:
1. A detailed analysis of unidentified aerial phenomena data and intelligence reporting collected or held by the Office of Naval Intelligence, including data and intelligence reporting held by the Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force;​
2. A detailed analysis of unidentified phenomena data collected by:​
a. geospatial intelligence;​
b. signals intelligence;​
c. human intelligence; and​
d. measurement and signals intelligence;​

3. A detailed analysis of data of the FBI, which was derived from investigations of intrusions of unidentified aerial phenomena data over restricted United States airspace;​
4. A detailed description of an interagency process for ensuring timely data collection and centralized analysis of all unidentified aerial phenomena reporting for the Federal Government, regardless of which service or agency acquired the information;​
5. Identification of an official accountable for the process described in paragraph 4;​
6. Identification of potential aerospace or other threats posed by the unidentified aerial phenomena to national security, and an assessment of whether this unidentified aerial phenomena activity may be attributed to one or more foreign adversaries;​
7. Identification of any incidents or patterns that indicate a potential adversary may have achieved breakthrough aerospace capabilities that could put United States strategic or conventional forces at risk; and​
8. Recommendations regarding increased collection of data, enhanced research and development, and additional funding and other resources.​
The report shall be submitted in unclassified form, but may include a classified annex.
Content from External Source
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CRPT-116srpt233/pdf/CRPT-116srpt233.pdf

The above language is causing great excitement in the UFO community. For example:

https://ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com/2020/06/us-senate-committee-introduces-bill.html
Nevertheless, a very interesting development, which to a large degree has been one of the main actions which To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science (TTSA) have been working on in the background. Kudos to them.
https://silvarecord.com/2020/06/22/uap-task-force-included-in-intelligence-bill-for-2021/
This bill represents years of hard work and the progress it can lead to if passed is very exciting.
This isn't actually a bill though. It's comments from the intelligence committee regarding the bill. The paragraph isn't a proposed law, it's a directive from the committee.

Source: https://twitter.com/Deepneuron/status/1275270209457123328

Source: https://twitter.com/nickpopemod/status/1275295579153690626

Is this significant? Well, looking at the language of the committee comment it all sounds quite reasonable. They are concerned about airspace incursions that are not identified. They are also concerned that foreign adversaries might have developed aerospace capabilities that put the US at a disadvantage. These are perfectly valid and significant concerns that the military obviously shares and has been investigating, to some degree.

What this comment amount to is essentially oversight of the existing processes, to ensure that those concerns are addressed and that improvements are made if needed.

So why the excitement?

The UFO community exists in a constant state of frustration. They are frustrated that they are drawing attention to UFOs but nobody really takes them seriously. They are frustrated that there's very little (if any) good video or photo evidence to back up their interest. They are frustrated because they think that the government is not telling them everything they know about UFOs.

And although many of them will deny this, they are frustrated because they think UFOs are something incredible, maybe representing an epochal revolution in physics, possibly even alien visitors from another world. They are frustrated because they really want this incredible thing to be revealed, and they have been thinking that "disclosure" is just around the corner for years. But it never happens.

So when something does happen, they get really excited, even if that excitement is not really justified. To the UFO community, this feels like validation. It feels like the US government saying "UFOs are real". To some it will feel like the US government starting to say "aliens are real"

I think this whole thing illustrates something of a division within the UFO community. You basically got two options.

1) UFOs are alien visitors and governments around the world are covering it up
2) UFOs are something interesting and unidentified, maybe dangerous, and governments around the world are incompetently not investigating it.

While many of the more serious UFO fans present as #2, most people with an interest in UFOs seem to think it's #1.

But, and this is key, the #2 people also will generally not discount #1, they might even be closet #1 fans, but they will get angry if you bring it up, because they think talking about aliens discredits the UFO movement.

What position (#1 or #2) does this report comment support? Really #2, and the serious presenting folk are excited because of this, like Chris Mellon:

Source: https://twitter.com/ChristopherKMe4/status/1275465099449446401

But some people replying to Mellon's comment also lean towards #1

Source: https://twitter.com/PostDisclosure/status/1275468368989032448

But really all we've got here is the Senate Intelligence Committee simply carrying out its oversight role. Perhaps colored somewhat by the media attention surrounding the US Navy videos. But really nothing has significantly changed, despite all the UFO folk telling you that it has.

Look at it in either context. If #1 is true, then what's the point of this report? Surely the Senate Intelligence Committee would already know about the aliens. What about the rest of the world.

If #2 is true, then why isn't this a huge deal? If they really thought there was good evidence that the Chinese had developed anti-gravity or reactionless propulsion, then that would be the most significant development in military terms since Hiroshima. It would need more than this.

Finally, and sadly, it's going lead to another round of nonsense tabloid headlines, like "Gov admits Aliens are Real", which will simply fan the #1 flames a little more.

I'll get excited when some actual evidence surfaces.

Last edited:
I think this whole thing illustrates something of a division within the UFO community. You basically got two options.

2) UFOs are something interesting and unidentified, maybe dangerous, and governments around the world are incompetently not investigating it.

While many of the more serious UFO fans present as #2, most people with an interest in UFOs seem to think it's #1.

But, and this is key, the #2 people also will generally not discount #1, they might even be closet #1 fans, but they will get angry if you bring it up, because they think talking about aliens discredits the UFO movement.

What position (#1 or #2) does this report comment support? Really #2, and the serious presenting folk are excited because of this, like Chris Mellon:

AND THAT is one of my biggest problems with TTSA.. The TTSA team Luis Elizondo, Chris Mellon, Steve Justice and Hal Puthoff clearly believe in #2 but Tom DeLonge clearly believes in #1 but it goes deeper, believing in #2 basically requires you to believe that Tom DeLonge is lying about most of his story. So does the TTSA team think Tom is lying? Why would they work with someone who they believe is a liar? From their behavior and what they have said about him it would seem they dont believe he is lying but then that basically discredits the whole "#2 belief" they share.. Im so confused..

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the tremendous advances in aviation technology over the past 4 decades, autonomous or directed aerial vehicles pose a significant threat to the US and other nations. Go back to the mid-70s, and look at the Tomahawk cruise missile. Capable of flying way below radar by terrain following, carrying a 450 kg payload, range of 1700 km, it was a pretty formidable thing to have an inventory of. I surely hope the US military is paying extremely close attention to the potential for these devices.

That was then, and now anyone can have an autonomous or lightly remotely controlled drone for whatever purpose (FAA certification aside). These things are very real, and pose a serious threat. Drug runners have been using variants of this stuff for a long time, as well as the good ol' poor man's submarines that keep the radar profile way down. Lot of this stuff has super low radar cross-section, and terrain-following advances mean this stuff can be just above treetop level for hundreds of km. Pretty darned cool stuff, the stuff of science fiction (at one time). And it's cheap, in that anyone can get their hands on it. If the US military isn't on top of this stuff every moment of every day, then they aren't doing their job.

Yeah, there's some pretty trick military tech, but it's all got to behave according to physical laws. Yes, it's always possible that, just like a century or more before the atom bomb, we had no concept of the physics required to imagine or make that kind of thing happen, but since the the atom we've gone a long way in starting to understand the basics of physical reality, and so far it's not just turtles all the way down. Wormholes, dark matter and energy, string theory, etc., all are fascinating, but in some cases there's not a lot of science meat on them bones, and it drifts more into philosophy or worse, pseudoscience, depending on who is speculating.

I worry far more about bad actors on this world's stage wanting to do harm than some "Independence Day" alien hi-jinks. By "far more" I really mean so far down on the probability scale that the thought rarely crosses my mind unless I a see the reaction to a thing like this. Yeah, I spent an entire summer as a 10-11 year old reading every UFO/paranormal/alien book in the local library, and wrote some amazing stories for my 7th grade English writing class. I also learned a thing or two about science, reality, engineering, physics, chemistry, psychology, medicine, human anatomy, yada yada yada. Some people like to believe that they're right in the middle of all sorts of occult reality if they could just open their eyes or look in the right direction (think Flatland). Me, I have enough of an imagination to be amazed by reality more than having to make something up. I guess I'm just simple-minded.

Nonetheless, it's a beautiful Saturday!

Cheers - Jon N7UV

It centers around two different groups...As to your item #1 I think this mainly centers around "UFO Young Guns" those who are ignorant of UFO history and are influenced by conspiracy theory...

As to #2 that encompasses more the older UFO researchers who are familiar with UFO history ...

I agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back