2020 Wildfires

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Terrible fires this year, mostly started by lightning. The weather is making it far worse with low humidity and very high temperatures. No doubt there will be another round of conspiracy theories about them.

Smoke from the fires going all the way to Texas. I'm about 70 miles away, and I've not seen blue sky for three days. Not because of clouds, because of smoke. Everything out my window looks hazy and orange.

Metabunk 2020-08-22 09-58-59.jpg

Just one of the fires, the LNU Lightning Complex, is the second biggest in state history, and is likely to have "significant growth" today.

what the short and longish term weather any rains predicted?
Napa is close to the big fire. No rain likely for the next ten days at least, but cooling off a bit with some clouds. A bit breezy.
Metabunk 2020-08-22 17-19-56.jpg

Long term, average 1/3 inch in September, more likely in the second half, obviously.
Metabunk 2020-08-22 17-21-39.jpg

Dan Russell (google research scientist) lists his favorite useful "wildfire monitoring (California)" sites.....
Here is his post from today, on his blog...

People keep asking me:
Dan, what's the best site to monitor the fires in California? Or a variation on that: What's the best site to get satellite images of fires in the West?
.....(cont'd)

http://searchresearch1.blogspot.com/2020/09/a-few-wildfire-monitoring-and-satellite.html

His top recommended satellite monitoring sites :

Zoom.earth

NASA Worldview

ARCGIS fire mappers

San Diego Supercomputer Center / NSF firemap.

National Wildfire Coordinating Group

Some or all links may need extra input or updating, to stay current or near real-time.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any blue sky here for a week, and we are relatively lucky. Far worse in other areas.

This is the latest shot of the region. I'm up by Sacramento. That fire down by Visalia just exploded over the last three hours.

Metabunk 2020-09-12 15-42-16.jpg

Several arsonists have been arrested, but county sheriffs have debunked rumors that the fires were started by Antifa.

Article:
Are Antifa Members Starting Oregon Fires? Arson Rumors Explained

Oregon officials are noting that no antifa members have been arrested in connection with the fires, but there have been some arsonists connected with some of the blazes.

CA, Santa Monica/LAX area.... yes, mostly haze from smoke residing in the upper levels, but not a lot of direct smoke in So Cal LA @ sea-level. The filtered sun is a definite orange color/hue...... a sure sign of wildfire smoke.
Although I did smell smoke a few times, just today, so it's permeating the whole atmospheric column. I am at sea-level, at the coast, near LAX.

Last edited:
Very smoky up north. This is a house about 500 yards from me. Can just make it out, beyond that is nothing but smoke.IMG_0854.jpeg

I was out yesterday just west of Chicago and it was pretty hazy. Sorry no pics. But the sun and sky looked like it was almost dusk and we still had a few good hours of daylight.

Crazy!

Several arsonists have been arrested, but county sheriffs have debunked rumors that the fires were started by Antifa.

Article:
Are Antifa Members Starting Oregon Fires? Arson Rumors Explained

Oregon officials are noting that no antifa members have been arrested in connection with the fires, but there have been some arsonists connected with some of the blazes.
Oregon woman holds suspected arsonist at gunpoint as wildfires rage.

This should be interesting to see if he has a political agenda.
This happened on 9-13-2020

oregon-arsonist-77.jpg
An Oregon woman forced a suspected arsonist to the ground at gunpoint after she found him on her property with matches, dramatic video footage shows.

Source: https://youtu.be/GJW_M4pBCnY

Plenty of talk on Twitter about 'Antifa arson'. Also plenty of talk of militias setting up road blocks in order to stop these 'Antifa arsonists'.

EDIT: I've also seen some posts of 'why do the fires suddenly stop at the border if they're natural???' to back this arson claim up. Naturally the reason why is that theu're looking at maps of US wildfires, that don't show any of the ones in Canada.

.......correct Dingo.... politically rebellious arson claims have become mostly squashed (or need more supporting evidence)
About the claimed source for most of the fires..... I'm surprised I have not seen more "directed energy weapons" or "DEW" videos on youtube.
There are a few.... but certainly way less than the previous 3 years.
Interesting, because NOW is the biggest fire season on record.
I'm thinking that social-wide debunking, and science education has, helped quell many of the conspiracy ideas.

Last edited:
.......correct Dingo.... politically rebellious arson claims have become mostly squashed (or need more supporting evidence)
About the claimed source for most of the fires..... I'm surprised I have not seen more "directed energy weapons" or "DEW" videos on youtube.
There are a few.... but certainly way less than the previous 3 years.
Interesting, because NOW is the biggest fire season on record.
I'm thinking that social-wide debunking, and science education has, helped quell many of the conspiracy ideas.
Leifer can you site reputable sources on this please as this is new to me regarding the fires being politically rebellious arson. Thank you.

reputable sources on this please as this is new to me regarding the fires being politically rebellious arson

conspiracy theories are not usually spread on reputable sites. :) but Joe Rogan said it.
“They’ve arrested left-wing people for lighting these forest fires,“You know, air-quote, ‘activists.’ This is also something that’s not widely being reported.”
Content from External Source
im using a twitter link as a source as i dont want tot scroll his 3 hour episode to find that bit

Source: https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/1306690180452167680

conspiracy theories are not usually spread on reputable sites. :) but Joe Rogan said it.
“They’ve arrested left-wing people for lighting these forest fires,“You know, air-quote, ‘activists.’ This is also something that’s not widely being reported.”
im using a twitter link as a source as i dont want tot scroll his 3 hour episode to find that bit

:D Sorry, I don't consider Joe Rogan's podcast as reputable. It's opinion and entertainment. I guess like most news outlets today.

. I guess like most news outlets today.

that's the bulk of the problem, imo. the media and local gov in Oregon and Washington have been lying and spinning about antifa for years, so i think now no one right-leaning believes the official announcements that antifa were not involved in the actual arson cases.. at least as far as suspects they have caught so far. (to be honest i don't even believe them- i'd want evidence before accusing anyone, but i dont consider anyone from Wash or Oregon saying its "untrue" as a "debunk" as so many outlets are reporting it.)

The only claim of evidence i've seen so far was an alleged video tape at a Pallet Company, but i looked and could never find this alleged video of antifa members. So basically it is a claim without evidence. just speculation announced as fact. (an unfortunate common occurrence these days)

this article - never heard of this source though- gives, i think, an ok run down of generally how the theory spread. this bit is the part about the alleged video tape that likely does not exist. 6 people were taken into custody, but no verification that i've seen yet, regarding if they are related to the protesters.

https://www.boston.com/news/national-news-2/2020/09/11/antifa-california-wildfires
The rumor surged when Paul Romero, a former Republican candidate for Senate, tweeted about unconfirmed reports of arson: “Oregon is on fire! Pallet Company in Oregon City confirmed Antifa arsonist on camera. Douglas County Sheriff has 6 ANTIFA arsonists in custody.”

I have a secret script, and it does not involve unofficial airline travel, nor does it involve the official cycle of mushrooms or fungi.

Unfortunately, its very possible that wild- fires (or other havoc) could be done by angry protesters. Recent activities could allude to include them..
BLM has not been known to save the environment, It's just not their issue.
What I am saying, is that any angry individual could decide to make a harsh or spontaneous decision. It's not unknown to happen. I don't have proof of antything....in this case.

Last edited:

He apologized for it.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFSYnUFA8Fb

Back