What might these three planes be?

jd1979

Good Afternoon,

Stumbled across this site the other day, and am enamored with what you all are doing. I've searched for any threads with similar questions, but came up dry. My hope is that you can assist...

I've attached a couple shots that I took with my cell phone from the following coordinates: 40.141214, -105.136496

I was facing north, and these planes were moving in a northwesterly direction. It appeared that they were moving quite a bit faster than "typical" commercial aircraft, but this was merely my perception with no real evidence to back it up.

Obviously the photo quality isn't the greatest, and I'm fairly certain that the identification of the type of aircraft may not be possible due to the quality. However, I'm wondering if the formation of the three crafts can possibly provide a clue. My only assumption is that the planes were military in nature because I can't figure out any other scenario in which three planes (moving very quickly) would fly in such obvious formation.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Attachments

• 20150218_110925.jpg
    20150218_110925.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 571
  • 20150218_111006.jpg
    20150218_111006.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 558
Last edited by a moderator:
What date and time are the photos?

Military seems the most likely. I've seen groups of 2-4 planes leaving contrails like that, and they were from single engine jets, possibly moving bases.

Thanks for the response and "cleaning up" my post. My apologies for not including time frame. The pictures were taken on Feb. 18th at approximately 1010 hrs.

Thanks for the response and "cleaning up" my post. My apologies for not including time frame. The pictures were taken on Feb. 18th at approximately 1010 hrs.

Unfortunately flight tracking records don't go back that far (without paying a lot), but if military, they would probably not show up anyway.

Unfortunately flight tracking records don't go back that far (without paying a lot), but if military, they would probably not show up anyway.

Planefinder.net goes that far for free, but there is nothing flying NW at around either 10:10 MST, or 11:10 MST, as the filename 20150218_111006.jpg suggests. There was a commercial flight in NE direction at 10:10 MST (17:10 UTC), but it probably was too far to the north of this place:
Screen shot 2015-05-07 at 20.24.52.png

I too think these were military aircraft. I captured a similar formation here:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ph...at-you-took-yourself.1487/page-10#post-128520

Last edited:
A lot? Doesn't FlightRadar24's €1.99 a month Premium package give access? Surely a paid government shill can stretch to that! ;)

Edit: never mind, I see that still only gives 30 days of playback.

Back