Ventura UFO 2020

J

johne1618

Richard Cranor was flying a DJI Mavic drone for an agricultural company over Ventura, California on July 23, 2020 between 11am - 12pm.

He captured a lozenge-shaped flying object and two small objects flying along with it. The left hand small object appeared to change direction first going to the right and then to the left (see around 0:43). For reference an insect is captured as it flies by at 0:04.

Source: https://youtu.be/5qIxuwBnsA0

I've deleted uploaded video to avoid any copyright issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a cut at 41 is this a re-edit, where's original file with metadata?

Otherwise it could just be a large balloon with some other smaller balloons floating along.

There's a cut at 41 is this a re-edit, where's original file with metadata?

Otherwise it could just be a large balloon with some other smaller balloons floating along.

I don't know. I have uploaded a compressed copy of the file that was on Google drive called DJI_0179.mp4.

Last edited:
I don't know. I have uploaded a compressed copy of the file that was on Google drive called DJI_0179.mp4.

I presume that the zoomed footage with the additional two small objects is taken from the original video and attached to the end of it. I have tried zooming the first 40 secs of the original video file myself but I can't see the two small objects flying either side of the lozenge.

lozenge-shaped flying object
i'm not sure we can call kite shaped objects "lozenge shaped". i realize some lozenges are square but... if we start calling every shape lozenge then the word loses all meaning.

do you have a still shot from the noncompressed original video that it looks like a lozenge?

a lozenge is a kite with 4 equal sides
that's what the shape looks like, given some perspective foreshortening
220px-Rhombus.pngSmartSelect_20220317-151840_Samsung Internet.jpg

huh.
1647527190596.png

so this member who can't recognize a bird or bug or kite or actual person on a security cam (from other threads), knows the scientific meaning of lozenge? very, very interesting. Humans are so much more curious than UFOs and ghosts!

i assumed he meant:
1647527987153.png

Last edited:
This might be something.

There was a low and slow plane in the area at the time, flying out of Santa Paula towards the coast.
1.jpg

View from video location
ge.jpg

This aircraft is registered to Van Wagner Aerial Media Llc (https://www.vanwagneraerial.com), an aerial advertising company.

Here's this very plane at work
ac1647528826001514799.jpg
from https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001514799.html

The flight took it out to the coastline where it did a couple of laps, presumably to fly a banner up and down the beaches.
2.jpg

I'd say this is a strong candidate. Some sort of large towed banner.

Edit: Of course I would forget to attach the overlay... same GE view plus Youtube preview image.
ge2.jpg

Last edited:
While at first glance this looks exactly like the sort of thing where I'd think "Kite," on second glance I think Easy Muffin has nailed it above. The second smaller object appears to be a bird, circling, nearer to the camera, not related to the plane and banner.

And here was me all ready to point out that kites often attract birds, and wonder if it all might be a kite that has two curious birds around it.
P1040709.JPG
While wondering why one "bird" seemed to stay pretty much in the same spatial relationship to the "kite" all the time.

Thanks, EM, for saving me from making that bad conclusion out in public where everybody could see it!

At around 0:29 in the uploaded video file the camera on the drone starts to pan left and consequently the large object, that was initially slowly moving right, moves quickly to the right. Here are 5 consecutive frames of the video. There is a small object that seems to exactly keep up with the camera as it pans left. The small object appears to the right of the large object and disappears to the left of the large object. What's going on?

vlcsnap-2022-03-17-15h35m21s946.png

red1.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-17-15h35m31s250.png

vlcsnap-2022-03-17-15h35m35s175.png

vlcsnap-2022-03-17-15h35m39s086.png

@Easy Muffin - I think you've nailed it. Looking at the video in post #1 at the 0:44s mark I think you can see the light aircraft leading the banner...

1647535357799.png

And the narrator even points in out later in the video at 1:17s....
1647535443751.png

Last edited:
And the narrator even points in out later in the video at 1:17s....
yea in the comments he specifically says (slight paraphrase) "looking more closely i think it's a banner". shame he deleted the 2k video, dont blame him as obviously people are illegally downloading it.

It was available to view but not download I assumed it was a mistake. I am not sure how johne1618 obtain the version he posted.

It was available to view but not download I assumed it was a mistake. I am not sure how johne1618 obtain the version he posted.
I downloaded the video a week ago but seeing as it has been deleted from the google drive I thought I better delete it from my post. Maybe Richard Cranor no longer wants it available on the internet.

Our friends at Third Phase of Moon looked at this video in July 2020. Their first analyst says "he thinks he's figured it out" and then after looking at the various objects for a while says:

"That to me looks like an airplane pulling an advertising banner. One hundred percent it looks just like it."

Source: https://youtu.be/ZcbC97gy8oo?t=151

Betcha didn't see that coming. ;)

As for lozenges, I always thought they were this shape:

1647555849730.png

But apparently a lozenge is a "thin rhombus".

I learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
A "lozenge," before it was a cough-drop, was a term in heraldry for a "charge" (a graphic thingy shown on a shield) that's a diamond shape, or narrow rhombus. Just a thing I happen to know, not at all related to it being sort of a kite shape...

Edit: Lozenges must remain shaped like lozenges. Nonnegotiable.
i imagine the first man to invent a throat lozenge made them lozenge shaped. but since noone knew what a lozenge shape was they thought lozenge meant "medicated throat soother".
1647565096698.png

or..they were just all on drugs.
Article:
In the 19th century, physicians discovered morphine and heroin, which suppress coughing at its source—the brain. Popular formulations of that era included Smith Brothers Cough Drops, first advertised in 1852, and Luden's, created in 1879. Concern over the risk of opioid dependence led to the development of alternative medications.[1]

A "lozenge," before it was a cough-drop, was a term in heraldry for a "charge" (a graphic thingy shown on a shield) that's a diamond shape, or narrow rhombus. Just a thing I happen to know, not at all related to it being sort of a kite shape...

References to heraldry normally trigger me, as they normally use the most absurd term possible for things, typically not even a word that would be recognised as English, but in this case they're fully justified.
lozenge (n.)

early 14c., "plane figure having four equal sides and two acute and two obtuse angles," from Old French losenge "rhombus shape, diamond-shape" (as an ornamental motif in heraldry, etc.); "small square cake; windowpane," etc., a word used for many flat quadrilateral things (Modern French losange). It has cognates in Spanish losange, Catalan llosange, Italian lozanga, but the origin is disputed.

Probably from a pre-Roman Celtic language, perhaps Iberian *lausa or Gaulish *lausa "flat stone" (compare Provençal lausa, Spanish losa, Catalan llosa, Portuguese lousa "slab, tombstone"). From late 14c. as "diamond-shaped cake or wafer;" specific sense "small cake or tablet (originally diamond-shaped) of medicine and sugar, etc., meant to be held in the mouth and dissolved" is from 1520s.

The related words in Continental languages often have a sense "flattery, deceit" (compare Old French losengier "to praise unduly," losenge "flattery, false praise; deceitful friendliness"), which comes probably via the notion of square flat slabs of tombstones and their fulsome epithets. Some of this made its way into Middle English via French. Chaucer uses losenger "flatterer, deceiver;" losengerye "flattery."
Content from External Source
-- https://www.etymonline.com/word/lozenge

The pedant in me notices that "plane figure having four equal sides and two acute and two obtuse angles" equally describes a trapezium, they need to specify that the acute and obtuse angles alternate.

The pedant in me notices that "plane figure having four equal sides and two acute and two obtuse angles" equally describes a trapezium, they need to specify that the acute and obtuse angles alternate.
The condition that there are 4 equal sides requires the angles to alternate, specifying this explicitly is redundant.

All lozenges are trapezoids.
Trapezium-trapezoid-comparisons.png(Image by Acdx • CC BY-SA 3.0)

Salmiak lozenges can be manufactured with no more than a flat baking sheet and a knife.
Salmiakpastillen.jpg(Image by Andreas Schwarzkopf • CC BY-SA 3.0)

Back