Updating software

And things did indeed go down. Three steps forward, one step back, one step to the side.

Upgraded to the latest Ubuntu, LAMP stack, APC, Memcached, Varnish, bigger server (shared with contrailscience and some personal sites), and CloudFlare CDN.

But now Logging in slows things to a crawl under OSX Chrome, but not Safari or Firefox. Bizarre. Fun weekend debugging ahead. If only "they" actually paid me for this :)

Turns out it was a problem with the Facebook cookies, so for now I have disabled Facebook integration.

Alright, I think the upgrading is pretty much complete. Site is now super fast.

Sorry for all the down/slow time over the past few days.

It was largely motivated by the upcoming Discovery Channel show on Weather Warfare, which is sure to create a bit of a spike. Metabunk.org and Contrailscience.com are both of the same server. Since it's not especially powerful I've had to finely tune it and add whatever caching I could. The caching comes in approximately five distinct layers, and there's always a chance of something not getting through one layer.

So please let me know if you have any problems, particularly with posts not showing up, images not showing up, or you being logged out.

metabunk@gmail.com

And just as I say that, contrailscience.com goes down with an opaque 500 error.

Edit: then it comes back up again. Grrrrrr!!!!

Back