Two Suns? Trenton, NJ

BigWho808

Hello,

I am posting this video because it seems that this is a good forum to debunk the video. I want to believe that it's a reflection, but something seems off to me. I caught this image using a heavy DSLR set up, and when I move, the second image doesn't move... it is, however, moving like a sunset? What also strikes this odd is how the clouds appear over the object. I don't know. I am hoping someone can review and make sense of it.

1st. I am shooting through the glass of a window, no lense filter
2nd. I took stills that show up in the video
3rd. I purposely brought down the aperture in-camera while shooting to the lowest setting possible midway through the video
4th. The ending when I jump back to see if I can refocus the object is still the same position?

Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks!

[Broken video link]
Source: https://youtu.be/-efrilHeiqk

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like an offset reflection. See various examples here:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ex...causeway-florida-offset-lens-reflection.6932/

Here's an example with a big offset. The "second sun" looks like it is behind the branches, but it's actually an image of the real sun, and the branches and leaves that are in front of that. Same thing with you clouds.

With the same camera, try filming a flashlight on the other side of the room.

Also, if you have this happening with the sun, try blocking out the sun with a finger, and the second sun will vanish.

I wonder if that "upper Sun" is the actual one, visible slightly through thick clouds, and the lower very bright patch is sun light brightly showing through, and illuminating, a thin patch of clouds. To me, it seems the "upper Sun" is moving behind the clouds and setting at a reasonable speed, while the bright patch is pretty stationary and not setting, as might be the case with a particular patch of clouds.

I wonder if that "upper Sun" is the actual one, visible slightly through thick clouds, and the lower very bright patch is sun light brightly showing through, and illuminating, a thin patch of clouds. To me, it seems the "upper Sun" is moving behind the clouds and setting at a reasonable speed, while the bright patch is pretty stationary and not setting, as might be the case with a particular patch of clouds.
No, later in the video you can clearly see the sun setting, with the reflection "setting" above and to the right
2020-12-05_11-49-00.jpg

It looks like an offset reflection. See various examples here:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ex...causeway-florida-offset-lens-reflection.6932/

Here's an example with a big offset. The "second sun" looks like it is behind the branches, but it's actually an image of the real sun, and the branches and leaves that are in front of that. Same thing with you clouds.

With the same camera, try filming a flashlight on the other side of the room.

Also, if you have this happening with the sun, try blocking out the sun with a finger, and the second sun will vanish.

Mick,

Thanks for sharing that blocking test. There is another video where the window seal blocks the main sun for like a second but then the second sun is still there? Let me share that video also, just to confirm with you. I am sure it's also a reflection. Well, I hope so. lol And thanks!

Mick,

Thanks for sharing that blocking test. There is another video where the window seal blocks the main sun for like a second but then the second sun is still there? Let me share that video also, just to confirm with you. I am sure it's also a reflection. Well, I hope so. lol And thanks!
Well, in my humble opinion, it's easier to debunk if you just see the video itself.
First of all, there're a lot of clouds surrounding that "second sun"; in fact, the sky is totally overcast, so how is it possible?? Even our sun, in days like that, can't be seen; but this "sun-like" thing is there, with some clouds going through it, just like the real sun, even if you can't see the clouds which are going through the real sun, they are there.
The second weird thing happened around 0:31-0:32; those two screenshots were taken minutes apart (it's the logical thing), so, what the hell happened there? It moved too fast from north to northeast.
And the last one, that "sun-like" thing is as big as our sun, and that's the weirdest thing of all; I mean, something so big that only you saw? Nobody else in the world?? Neither the telescopes?? It's just pretty odd.

Back