Some "Black" Shadowed Aerodynamic Contrails

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_1431-aw.jpg

I was snapping some pics of hole-punch clouds in this cloud layer when I suddenly noticed this quite dramatic black contrail. Now the fact that it is black isn't incredibly surprising when you notice that there are black clouds in the sky. And the areas where the contrail is darkest are also the areas where the clouds are darkest.

But it was still quite interesting. It's actually quite a nice day, but there's a layer of cloud the west. The Eastern sky is blue with patchy clouds. This is a panorama looking south (showing an unrelated contrail that has developed into a fallstreak). Note the chimneys on the right.
20161107-150816-n2y71.jpg

I zoomed in on the dark trail:
20161107-151119-5z8a5.jpg

The flight is Delta 2375 from San Francisco, passing over around 21:47 UTC
20161108-053724-w9k6r.jpg

It was heading north west, and climbing through 25,000 feet. The contrail is probably the aerodynamic type, and not an exhaust contrail. The contrails became more sporadic as it got overhead.
20161107-152125-vicq9.jpg

Just behind that though was Southwest 542, on a similar path, but seemingly slightly lower. It also left a "black" contrail.
20161107-152444-mzfe0.jpg

But this time it kept going longer, allowing me to see it was indeed an aerodynamic contrail:
20161107-152603-6lzad.jpg

This was more apparent as it went into the clearer regions of sky. Notice the contrails do not line up with the engines.
20161107-152824-66m4r.jpg

This enhanced shot shows the internal structure of the aerodynamic contrail
20161107-153319-vgszm.jpg
This is about the same section a bit later:
20161107-153556-m3cxw.jpg

Compare with a contrast enhanced section of the same contrail in the backlit lighting conditions. There's no real significant difference however the less dense edges of the contrail are harder to see as they blend in with the clouds.
20161107-153732-dpnyc.jpg

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Did you mean 21:47 UTC (13:47 PST)?
I did! And I was specifically only using UTC to avoid confusion with PST/PDT (my camera time was off by an hour). My brain seems to like to randomly add or subtract two hours. I have updated the screenshot to include the time and both planes.

Also, it does not look like the contrails were backlit. They probably were unlit, that is in a cloud shadow.
I really just meant that the sun was behind them, and the entire scene was backlit. However now you brought it up "backlit" would generally meant at least bright white fringes on a contrail, so I've changed the title to "shadowed". I should have taken more photos with the full sun in context, but I automatically tried to keep the sun out of frame. This shot kind of shows the "backlit" aspect.
20161108-054732-redcx.jpg

The sun is just off the bottom of the frame. The clouds themselves are obviously backlit. The contrail is very close to the cloud layer (which seems to be common with my observations of aerodynamic contrails here).

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
There was actually a third similar trail a few minutes later. This photo (contrast enhanced) it shows the transition from dark to light very well. The view is looking south, so the plane is flying from right to left.
20161108-060437-vwxep.jpg

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Black UFO At Skinwalker Ranch (A Fly) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Guido Hello and a questionabout black line in sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
MikeC Claim: FAA conspiring with Police to limit news access to Black Rock General Discussion 3
Rory Black square around Earth proves NASA fake footage Flat Earth 3
Mick West Plane with Vertical Black Stripes Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 25
S Black exhaust, contrail, or chemtrail? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Qualiall Malaysian Transport Ministry's first-year report (released March 8th 2015) Flight MH370 4
Mick West Hoax: AirAsia QZ8501 Black Box Voice Recorder [Alleged Adam Air 574 in 2007] General Discussion 0
Trailblazer "Black aerosol" spray over the Netherlands (contrail shadow at sunset) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Lisa P "Black Beam" Contrail Shadow, Sunshine Coast, Australia Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
RFMarine Claim: Black dust all over japan - radioactive - fukushima? General Discussion 3
Jason Weird black ring appears in the sky [Pyrotechnic Smoke Ring] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Lode Debunked: "California Combats Drought With Black-Ops Weather Control" Contrails and Chemtrails 16
MikeC New "black chemtrail" video Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 107
Mick West Debunked: Black Smoke and orange flames as an indicator of an Oxygen Starved Low temp fire 9/11 4
Alchemist Why Is There A Media BLACK OUT On These CRAFT Contractors? Boston Marathon Bombings 9
Alchemist DEBUNKED - 9/11 aircraft black boxes weren't recovered 9/11 241
BombDr Chemtrail logistics: How many NWO black-ops people are required? Contrails and Chemtrails 19
MikeC Men in black tops and tan pants at helicopter crash Conspiracy Theories 5
Joe Carbon black chemtrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 38
PCWilliams Black Hawks Conducting Urban Training Exercise Conspiracy Theories 9
Leifer strange black box Site Feedback & News 1
Mick West Explained: Giant Black Sphere Hovering Near the Sun [Coronal Prominence Cavity] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 69
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Close Up Videos of Contrails Forming And Evolving Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 19
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Aerodynamic cloud created by mountain Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Debunked: Irrefutable Film Footage Of Climate Engineering Aerosol Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
F Explained: Video of plane leaving "6 chemtrails, then 2" [Mixed Exhaust and Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Trailblazer Sequence of Aerodynamic Contrails, Gap, Exhaust contrails. At 25,000ft over the UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Trailspotter Alternating hybrid contrails Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
TEEJ Aerodynamic Contrail/Shadow Peoria, Arizona, 25 November 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
M fuel dumping or Aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Asymmetric Partially Aerodynamic Turboprop Contrails at 25,000 and 27,000 feet Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West An unusual persistent aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West A Rainbow Aerodynamic Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
skephu Aerodynamic Contrails that look like Exhaust Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 45
Trailblazer Excellent video of vortices and aerodynamic contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Contrails On the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Marine0811 Plane trail at wings, none at engines? [Aerodynamic contrails, no flaps] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Rico Debunked: Dane Wigington's Undeniable Footage of Jet Aircraft Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 42
Mumbles B-52G aerodynamic contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Related Articles

Related Articles