Solved: Tube in MH 17 wreckage?? [9m111 anti-tank rocket from old Il-76 footage]

MikeC

Closed Account
UPDATE: The missile is from the Il-76 crash site not MH17. See: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/so...cket-from-old-il-76-footage.4014/#post-118185

Original post:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

At 1:58 in the video below comes this image:

tube.jpg

Which, of course, looks a lot like a missile. There are some pretty obvious indicators that it is not - the "fins" are welded - rather messily by the look, and the size compared to the grass around it would make it the smallest missile in history :)

But I can't figure out what it is - it's not a 777 Pitot tube - perhaps it is a torque tube of some sort (ie a mechanism for transferring rotary motion from one point to another) but I wouldn't think such a tube would have fins like these on it.

It might be a static-load member that protrudes into the airflow at some point and the fins are there to smooth out airflow around it??

but I can't see anything specific on the exterior of a 777 that it might be - any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
But I can't figure out what it is
I'm right there with you Mike. I've been seeing this image for days now since the crash. Originally I thought it was a missile, and then a coffee urn. It's definitely peculiar.

It's a stretch, but the fins may be brackets to attach the pipe to a wall or undercarriage (though a pretty weird bracket design if so).
Is there definitely a third 'fin' underneath it?

by golly yes, it does......note the apparently bolted or screwed joint!

Hmm...if it is then WTF is it doing in there?? was the a/c shot down by an AT missile.....or was this "planted evidence"...or something else??

It looks a LOT like the 9m111!

The depression between the fins that runs longitudinally and the little raised parts that look like they attach the front section to the motor section. As well as the fin section being a reddish color which is different that the rest of the missile.

Possible cargo?
Possibly planted there to raise confusion?
Possible from the AN-30 crash and got mis reported as from MH17?

by golly yes, it does......note the apparently bolted or screwed joint!

Hmm...if it is then WTF is it doing in there?? was the a/c shot down by an AT missile.....or was this "planted evidence"...or something else??

Yeah I don't know, hard to tell if it's even at the crash site.

Could be unrelated combat debris that MH17 debris landed on or near. Doesn't seem far fetched to find part of a Russian weapon in a warzone where both sides use primarily Russian weapons.

Entirely true of course...........but in the context of MH17 "coincidence" is unlikely to be a widely acceptable answer without a bit more information :)

was the a/c shot down by an AT missile
The missile doesn't look all that blown up to me and wikipedia says that it wouldn't have the range and isn't designed to fire more than 20 degrees off horizontal.
.....or was this "planted evidence"...or something else??
It doesn't fit in with anyones narrative so it doesn't really seem to be to anyones benefit to plant it (other than to sow general confusion) so I'm going for the "something else" option as others have outlined, debris from a downed military plane.

Could be unrelated combat debris that MH17 debris landed on or near. Doesn't seem far fetched to find part of a Russian weapon in a warzone where both sides use primarily Russian weapons.
True, but I wonder why the media never brought it up. Strange having a rocket sitting in the middle of the debri without any mention of it. Does it still have the warhead intact, if so even more reason for the media to have made a big deal over it since there would've been additional measures taken on scene to secure it. Strange?

Added: Guess I got my answer below. From another crash site. I guess the media was scrambling to fill images in their blocks...

Yes they were all pretty much rhetorical questions. Given the context of the video the item is NOT shown among any other wreckage at all so as Mick pointed out it could be from another crash, or indeed from almost anywhere.

Asking rhetorical questions in a forum full of pedants is a risky business. :)
Are you calling me a "pedant"???

I (sir or madam) have about 20,000 hours of flight time.

I am type-rated on several airliners that YOU likely have flown on as a passenger....including the DC9/MD80, the B737 and the B757/767. I ALSO have right-seat experience in the B727, the Airbus A300-B4, and the DC10.

Furthermore, there are OTHER airline pilots on this Board who you can communicate with.

I KNOW what "pedantic" means.

I am NOT "pedantic".

(EXCEPT when it comes to precision in writing...THEN I get "pedantic")

Are you calling me a "pedant"???
No, by "full of" I meant
full (fʊl)
adj
abundant in supply, quantity, number, etc
Content from External Source
I didn't put you in that portion of the venn diagram, besides theres nothing wrong with being a stickler for detail.

JonnyH
B.Med.Sc, G.D.L, Barrister-at-law, Gold Swimming Certificate, B.C.U. 1 Star rated, D.V.L.A. Licenced, Member of the Yorkshire Society of Pedants ;)

Back