"Silent glowing disc" UFO video on Reddit [A Plane]

J

johne1618

The following post on Reddit by /u/Cherith_Cutestory01:

Location and direction

Friday, October 21, 2022 at 5:47 PM

32.38809° N, 111.02751° W

Object appeared to the E-NE of that location and moving NE

There is a lot of air traffic to the East coming in from Denver to Tucson International, but that traffic comes in from the backside of the mountain. This object was only about a mile or less to the NE of my location. Close enough to visibly see the shape of the object quite well given its size.

Description of sighting

It sat and silently hovered for a minute or so, then sped off very fast. It was disc shaped with a dome shape on top, made no noise at all. iPhone video makes it look further than it was, you could see it quite well with the naked eye. The entire object seemed to radiate light, but the bottom had a shimmering almost flashing or pulsating quality to it. My best guess in size was 75-100 or so feet across, it wasn’t small. Myself, my wife and my kids witnessed it.

When asked why he didn't record it zooming away:

I didn’t record it. Which makes me beyond frustrated because that’s the kind of stuff I always read from other people and I always think they’re an idiot for not continuing to record. I was primarily on a walk with my family and I just inexplicably stopped recording like a moron.

Replying to a comment that it's a drone:

I’m a pilot and I also own drones. It’s not a drone. Drones don’t glow. Drones don’t shimmer. Readily available commercial drones don’t go hundreds of mph. Drones aren’t this big.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/yadb8o/it_happened_saw_a_silent_glowing_disc/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Screen_shots by /u/Cherith_Cutestory01:

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

What is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

When asked why he didn't record it zooming away:

Replying to a comment that it's a drone:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/yadb8o/it_happened_saw_a_silent_glowing_disc/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Screen_shots by /u/Cherith_Cutestory01:

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

What is it?

Looks like a plane flying toward the camera illuminated by the setting sun. There is nothing to indicate size as there is no reference. While the claim says it sped off at high speed the video doesn't show this. Reddit discusses all of this. Why do feel it necessary to bring it here?

While the claim says it sped off at high speed the video doesn't show this.
This is surprisingly common. Or unsurprisingly, depending in how jaded and cynical you are. It is very inconsiderate of the UFOs to always wait and do the interesting stuff after the camera is off of them.

Looks like a plane flying toward the camera illuminated by the setting sun. There is nothing to indicate size as there is no reference. While the claim says it sped off at high speed the video doesn't show this. Reddit discusses all of this. Why do feel it necessary to bring it here?

I thought people here would like to see it.

I think that's a good fit. The angles are just right to get a specular reflection of the Sun on one or more sections of the plane. As the plane moves, suddenly the angles aren't right and there is no specular reflection. Sudden dimming to invisibility is perceived as enormous acceleration.

It disappeared because it suddenly dimmed to invisibility = it disappeared because it moved away.

Classic scenario.

what people need is a time, date and location of these things. otherwise they are just more dots of light in the sky we can't do much with. meaning, to do a proper debunk ie find the plane... we need location, date and time. We dont need info like he was taking a walk with his family or that he doesnt think it's a drone.

I have slowed the video and zoomed in. Every so often I have to manually recenter to keep the object in the zoomed rectangle.

Could the original camera movement be compensated for by measuring how sky pixels move about?

I have slowed the video and zoomed in. Every so often I have to manually recenter to keep the object in the zoomed rectangle.

Could the original camera movement be compensated for by measuring how sky pixels move about?

what is the date, time and location of the video?

what is the date, time and location of the video?
It's in the OP:

Content from External Source
oh, johnie beat me to it.

Location and direction:

Assuming that's MST and not UTC (or some other timezone) there's a plane to the north (SWA1358), one to the north-east (UAL2018), and one to the east travelling north at that time (WJA2247).

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 11.12.43.png

There was also AAL2886 and AAL2659, somewhat further away, both to the northeast and travelling south of east.

Have you ruled them out?

Last edited:
Assuming that's MST and not UTC (or some other timezone) there's a plane to the north, one to the north-east, and one to the east travelling north at that time.

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 11.12.43.png

Can you rule them out?

That WestJet Boeing was in the right place at the stated time.

a.jpg

Well, kind of in the right place what with Google Earth's down-low terrain rendition... these trippy landscapes are something else.

WJA2247, C-FRAX
b.jpg

and i just noticed...is this a contrail?
1666461298723.png

i guess it could be the plane more to the east. as really my little guy should be more toward the main road there, the google camera wont let me in the exact position.

and check out how big the bugs are out there! :(

Screenshot 2022-10-22 135352.png

add: it is a contrail. i think. huh.1666462462914.png

Last edited:
It could well be this plane:

Can you post more info please? You're requiring people to click to outside sources and search around to see what you're referring to.

Also, what makes you think it's that one and not the one pointed to above by Easy Muffin?

Last edited:
Stabilized (mostly):

Looks like an airplane. It could look “glowing” because it is saturating the camera’s sensor, which is metering off of the sky, which is significantly dimmer than the plane.

Can you post more info please? You're requiring people to click to outside sources and search around to see what you're referring to.

Also, what makes you think it's that one and not the one pointed to above by Easy Muffin?
Actually I now think it is the one pointed to by EasyMuffin (WJA2247) (and one of the planes first mentioned by you in post#12).

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an airplane. It could look “glowing” because it is saturating the camera’s sensor, which is metering off of the sky, which is significantly dimmer than the plane.
Yeah, this is one of the issues with distant white planes - they look bigger than they are. I've been putting planes into Sitrec in place of spheres, and it can be hard to see them with default lighting. I'll need to write some shader code to better simulate the dynamic range and bloom.

One thing I'd like to add. The plane isn't necessarily heading toward the camera. It's traveling along our line of sight. It could be traveling toward the camera or away from the camera.

Toward the end of the video it seems to be banking. The side to our left is lower.

Last edited:
Back