Orange light over Kyle, Texas March 2022

MonkeeSage

An orange light was seen in the sky over Kyle, Texas in the early morning of March 27 of 2022. News report is here with witness interview:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8mkLV6ciXo

I found the original video here, and he gives a date of March 27, 2022 12:20am.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkqTPVODtU

I saw the video on a clip from History Channel's Truth is Out There where they were using it as secondary evidence that weird stuff is happening over Texas for a different video that just appears to show military flares at night. The person who shot this video is in the comments over there so I asked about the date and location of the light, and they said:

March 27, 2022 12:20 am headed SSW to NNE over Kyle Tx.
Content from External Source
Source

So just after midnight on Sunday (27th) when events from Saturday night (26th) might still be ongoing. Kyle sits about 10 miles SSW of Austin, and about 2 miles SSW of Buda so it sounds like he would be looking in their direction (NNE).

Note: The second light zipping around on the right at the start is just a reflection of the orange light on the left because he is filming through glass from inside a vehicle (which can been seen at the end of the original video around 2:05). At first I thought it was an actual second light so I was looking around for concerts that might have spotlights/light shows, and low and behold I found that Vanilla Ice of all people was performing in Buda, TX of all places that Saturday night. But yeah, it's just the orange light we are trying to identify and I don't think that would be related to concert lights.

I thought maybe a star, and Stellarium shows Arcturus would have been visible at about that altitude at that time and location, but it would have been due East. The object also appears to be moving too quickly to be a star.

Even though the UFO researcher on the news clip ruled out a Chinese/paper lantern because "the video is over a minute, and the light is solid the whole time", that's exactly what it looks like to me. Austin has a lot of Asian-themed events with paper lanterns, like the Austin Night Market, performances by the Shen Yun troupe, and have had actual Lantern Festivals in previous years where they released hundreds of paper lanterns, but I didn't find anything specifically related on that date. My understanding is that people often fly them for weddings and such so possibly from a more "ordinary" event like that.

Paper lanterns at dusk and at night which are over a minute and the light is solid the whole time, which look very much the same as this clip:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93KHh_VRz7c

Source: https://youtu.be/PHqpJnL3mNg?t=321

The only thing that makes me hesitant with this identification is that the wind was in the exact opposite direction of the objects motion (claimed by the witness) around that time:

TimeTemperatureDew PointHumidityWindWind SpeedWind GustPressurePrecip.Condition
12:53 AM60 °F44 °F55 %SSW7 mph0 mph29.41 in0.0 inFair
Source

The only thing that makes me hesitant with this identification is that the wind was in the exact opposite direction of the objects motion (claimed by the witness) around that time:

TimeTemperatureDew PointHumidityWindWind SpeedWind GustPressurePrecip.Condition
12:53 AM60 °F44 °F55 %SSW7 mph0 mph29.41 in0.0 inFair
Source

The witness said...

March 27, 2022 12:20 am headed SSW to NNE over Kyle Tx.

In a weather forecast or report the wind direction given is the the direction From which the wind is blowing, so for SSW it was going 'from SSW to NNE', which is exactly the same at the witness reported.

The witness said...

In a weather forecast or report the wind direction given is the the direction From which the wind is blowing, so for SSW it was going 'from SSW to NNE', which is exactly the same at the witness reported.

Awesome, thank you!

The witness said...

Also wind direction/speed aloft is often different than those at ground level. Best source for wind data at different altitudes is from aviation weather sources/NOAA.

Back