Opinion vs fact

pretty much all of them, means your chances of naming one that isnt on the list is slim.
note: the question said "almost always".

medicaid, medicare, social security (the fraudulent disability cases..not the ss income old people paid in), the small business help handed out (or not handed out) during Covid, schools, state run programs for people/children with disabilities, the motor vehicle department, the police departments (probably not all but most),
i imagine big city firedepartments have waste and inefficiency in them*... i dont know, it would be easier for you to name one that is not inefficient or wasteful.

*firemen on call is not waste. they have to be at the station for when the calls come in.

Unless you're comparing them to perfect system that has no waste, this is true of everything so I'm not sure what value the opinion (or fact if you prefer) holds or why you care. Otherwise, you'd need to compare them to things that actually exist, in which case it's easy to disprove that they are "almost always" less efficient than an alternative.

i dont understand why everyone is comparing the question to the private sector.

but that's fine. obviously my interpretation of the question was wrong as i got an "x" on the quiz answer sheet.

Sorry - did not mean to pigeon hole your interpretation. I think you can validly say that it's a fact if you are attached to the framing of the question as a measure of perfect efficiency versus perfect inefficiency.

It's sort of an intellectually dishonest concept and framing (not you personally, just that specific wording.)

To illustrate: "Almost all schools facilitate the abuse of children."
That's factually correct but not in a way that provides any useful information and would be considered "misleading."

pretty much all of them, means your chances of naming one that isnt on the list is slim.
note: the question said "almost always".

medicaid, medicare, social security (the fraudulent disability cases..not the ss income old people paid in), the small business help handed out (or not handed out) during Covid, schools, state run programs for people/children with disabilities, the motor vehicle department, the police departments (probably not all but most),
i imagine big city firedepartments have waste and inefficiency in them*... i dont know, it would be easier for you to name one that is not inefficient or wasteful.

*firemen on call is not waste. they have to be at the station for when the calls come in.
I already gave you stats on Medicare. Police departments on call are not wasteful either (for the same reasons as fire departments), nor are money to schools, disability payments, or motor vehicle departments, but as they are principally given money by the multitudes of state and local administrations, one would have to treat them on an individual basis.

I had problems with Q4 and Q7 on the survey titled "Fact or Opinion? "The Dog Newspaper"
i had problems with 6. if it was newsworthy wouldnt he be in the newspaper?
I had problems with, and missed 1 and 5. Explanation below:

1. When the war ended, the soldiers rejoiced.​

This seems like a catch all phrase to me. If it had been quantified like "When the war ended, some or many soldiers rejoiced" I would be ok with it. But this seems to imply all soldiers. I would believe many did rejoice, but some may have wept and some of those on the losing side may have been very angry.

7. Few people read it, and the only person who purchased issue number four was my grandpa.​

Again, I would like a qualifier. Define few and few relative to what? If it just said, "the only person who purchased issue number four was my grandpa", that could be checked and falsified if needed. It seems to me the first part is more opinion while the second half is fact.

Maybe I'm being picky, but if someone wants to present facts, I want it to be as clear as possible.

About this survey:

Source: https://medium.com/trust-media-and-democracy/fact-or-opinion-new-research-finds-who-best-tells-the-difference-a2d1cd5aa7fc

Overall, Republicans and Democrats were more likely to classify both factual and opinion statements as factual when they appealed most to their side.
Content from External Source
Interestingly, which news outlet produced the statement had no impact — with one notable exception. Republicans were slightly more likely than Democrats to accurately classify three factual statements when they were attributed to Fox News, and Democrats were slightly less likely than Republicans to do so. When no source was attributed — or when USA Today or The New York Times was the source — there was no difference in the results.

It's seems clear from the party breakdown that a significant number of the respondents were completely overlooking the instruction to ignore whether you think the statement is true or not when ascertaining whether the statement was a factual one or not, because there's an obvious skew towards considering typical party lines, or demographic stereotypes as "true therefore factual" or "false therefore non-factual":

That image is lifted from https://www.pewresearch.org/journal...-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-03/ which is page 2 out of many (I've not checked them all yet, there are fwd/back links on each page, so you can nav to anywhere from there).

When I read the rubric, I was sure some wouldn't be able to follow it, and wondered if it could or should have been spelt out more simply. It's almost as if the study was actually trying to test of they could trick those who are more partisan into making this mistake. (The "Republicans modestly more likely to correctly identify factual statements when attributed to Fox News" twist: https://www.pewresearch.org/journal...-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-04/ does indeed look like it was trying to be a similar trap.)

It would be nice if that study could be done again. I get the feeling that 2022 might be noticeably different from 2018. In particular as there are more hot button issues now, and knee-jerk reactions (which could induce a failure to follow the rubric) seem more common.

That image is lifted from https://www.pewresearch.org/journal...-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-03/ which is page 2 out of many (I've not checked them all yet, there are fwd/back links on each page, so you can nav to anywhere from there).

Full report here. To be honest, the multi-page summary I link to above is too bitty, and the full (69 page) paper should be considered the go-to reference:
https://www.pewresearch.org/journal.../2018/06/PJ_2018.06.18_fact-opinion_FINAL.pdf

It's really dubious to try to apply a factual label to a qualitative statement like "wasteful" or "inefficient."
Essentially this was my argument with them. Also, a "substantial" amount seems inherently opinion. How much is substantial? According to whom? (I was going to say "who," but I'm on my phone and it kept putting an "m" on instead of a "?" And I decided to take it as a rainbow-like sign from above and stopped fighting it.

Still a worthwhile exercise, even thinking through why one thinks the quiz is wrong probably has some value as " thinking practice."

Yes?

Essentially this was my argument with them.
why? do you believe the statement about "almost always wasteful and inefficient" is factual? Pew classifies it as opinion.

Also, a "substantial" amount seems inherently opinion.
the wording was, "lost a significant portion", and in fact that phrase referred to 95%, an amount hardly anyone could call insignificant whilst arguing in good faith.

why? do you believe the statement about "almost always wasteful and inefficient" is factual? Pew classifies it as opinion.
Sorry, I was unclear -- I noted they used words denoting opinion in some statements, and sometimes the statement was deemed an opinion, sometimes it was deemed factual. That inconsistency made the "test" less useful, in my opinion.

the wording was, "lost a significant portion",
I accept the correction!

and in fact that phrase referred to 95%,
That data was not part of the question in the test, though. My understanding was that in the test I was supposed to categorize the "information" or claims based one what was presented. Had they said "ISIS lost 95% of their territory..." I'd rate that as a factual statement -- that is a number that can be researched and verified. Words like "significant," or my misremembered "substantial" (or "wasteful," or "inefficient") denote opinions. The opinion may be supported by facts, or may not. A statement like "they lost 95% of their territory," or "the UAP was flying at hypersonic speeds" are statements of fact -- which may turn out to be true, false, or unknown.

an amount hardly anyone could call insignificant whilst arguing in good faith.
And an amount a presenter might include in their statement, if they were arguing in good faith. Of course, somebody may be acting in good faith and use imprecise language or make subjective claims. But people making claims using subjective language are more likely to set of my alarm bells.

My interest in the test was in spotting the different sorts of statements based on the way is was presented, rather than pre-existing knowledge of the subject or pre-existing beliefs about it.

That's my take, anyway, your mileage may vary.

would still be a factual statement even if it was incorrect

that's actually one of the ways to tell factual statements: if they could be easily disproven with evidence, they're factual
I had a feeling someone was maybe going to answer like this but I don't agree, I should of put a disclaimer but I didnt, sorry.

To me. A fact is true.
eg Here are 2 statements we've seen over the last couple of years

A/ Biden won the last US election
B/ Trump won the last US election
To me one is a fact the other is an opinion, sure its widely believed but that doesnt mean its a fact

OK yes the dictionary agrees
noun
noun: fact; plural noun: facts
  1. a thing that is known or proved to be true.
Actually a better example is the statement very similar to the question in the test, Surely you would not claim the following as a fact
'2 planes flew into the twin towers in 1999'
The following statement though is a fact '2 planes did not fly into the twin towers in 1999'

I had a feeling someone was maybe going to answer like this but I don't agree, I should of put a disclaimer but I didnt, sorry.

To me. A fact is true.
eg Here are 2 statements we've seen over the last couple of years

A/ Biden won the last US election
B/ Trump won the last US election
To me one is a fact the other is an opinion, sure its widely believed but that doesnt mean its a fact

OK yes the dictionary agrees
noun
noun: fact; plural noun: facts
  1. a thing that is known or proved to be true.
Actually a better example is the statement very similar to the question in the test, Surely you would not claim the following as a fact
'2 planes flew into the twin towers in 1999'
The following statement though is a fact '2 planes did not fly into the twin towers in 1999'
Stop conflating "fact" and "factual", they are different words with different meanings.

Stop conflating "fact" and "factual", they are different words with different meanings.
I thought the same, but then I looked in a dictionary, and they're not different enough to not support Captain's point.
To me. A fact is true.
Yes. Everyday usage.

To me, in the context of media, the distinction between fact and opinion is rooted in libel law, and opinion is free speech that can't be libel. So for a statement to be libel, it has to be both false (...) and look like a fact. This means that I interpret 'factual' in this context as 'looks like a fact and not an opinion', regardless of whether it happens to be true or not. (Opinions can also be true!)

The difference is this:
* is it about something that's supposed to have happened? —> 'factual'
* is it about what somebody thought? —> opinion

Those who say "Trump won the 2020 election" think that Trump actually got more votes than the count showed, for them it's supposed to have happened, so from their perspective, it's factual, even in your sense of the word.

But "Trump did many great things" involves what somebody thinks is 'great', where two people can agree on the facts of what he did, and still disagree over whether it was great or not, because that's based on what somebody thinks is great (or not), and not just on what he did. Therefore, that would be an opinion statement.

I thought the same, but then I looked in a dictionary, and they're not different enough to not support Captain's point.

You don't get to chose your definition of factual, they've already told you what they mean by it in the rubric.
Regardless of how knowledgeable you are about each topic, would you consider each statement to be a factual statement (whether you think it is accurate or not) or an opinion statement (whether you agree with it or not)?
They spent some time over this rubric:
Appendix A: Measuring capacity to classify statements as factual or opinion
By Amy Mitchell, Jeffrey Gottfried, Michael Barthel and Nami Sumida

Prior to launching the survey, researchers conducted a series of preliminary tests to determine how best to ask Americans to classify news-related statements. The purpose of these tests was to analyze the effects of changes in the language used in the question instructions and response options, the number of response options and the attributions of the statements to different news outlets. These tests were not intended to be representative of the U.S. adult population.

To explore different question wording options, a series of tests were conducted using SurveyMonkey’s online nonprobability panel. The sample size for each test ranged from 76 to 232 respondents. Each test included five to 22 news-related statements, a number of which were used in the final questionnaire. In addition to asking respondents to classify statements, each test included one of three open-ended questions, asking for challenges they had in classifying the statements, their general experience with the survey, or how they defined “facts” and “opinions.”
-- https://www.pewresearch.org/journal...to-classify-statements-as-factual-or-opinion/

As I mentioned above, I don't think it's perfect, but you can't pretend it's not there. They even tried over-emphasising what they meant, but apparently that didn't work:

Determining the level of explanatory language

The best testing version (test 10 in the table) included explanatory language in both the question instructions and the response options. Test results suggested that this added language helped people better understand the task, alleviated pressure to have prior knowledge on the statement’s topic, and provided some guidance in what “factual statements” and “opinion statements” referenced.

Initial tests included no explanatory language, which, according to open-end responses, led to confusion among a number of respondents. (See the question wording in tests 1 and 2.) Some interpreted the exercise as either a knowledge quiz – in which they assessed the accuracy of the statement – or an evaluation of whether they agreed or disagreed with the statement.

The added language to the factual (tests 2 through 11) and opinion response options (tests 5, 7, 8 and 10) more clearly specified the task. Additionally, some tests (tests 3 and 4) experimented with adding a sentence, “We are NOT asking whether you agree or disagree with the statement,” in the question instructions, but tests with that addition did not perform better. Language was also added to the question instructions to lessen the cognitive difficulty respondents may have had when classifying statements (language such as “Regardless of your knowledge of the topic…” was added in tests 6, 9, 10 and 11).

Great evidence! It proves to me that Pew's intended meaning conflicts with many respondents' everyday meaning of the words. Which is what I took to be @CaptainCourgette 's point.

Yup, that's why I voiced my worries about it in my first post about it. But it looks like it wasn't a trap after all, they were genuinely trying to minimise confusion, but the lack of resolving power was too ingrained. Then again, that's part of what they were trying to measure - if they explained what the answer should be in the question, it would be quie a different poll.

I still find the "Fox News" twist amusing, their priming trap clearly did work. Particularly because it was just that single fake attribution that caused the knee-jerk reaction, no others caused any deviation at all.

You don't get to chose your definition of factual, they've already told you what they mean by it in the rubric.
Regardless of how knowledgeable you are about each topic, would you consider each statement to be a factual statement (whether you think it is accurate or not) or an opinion statement (whether you agree with it or not)?
Yeah sorry I skipped over that.
I assumed thats how they meant it but then again, by that metric both the following are factual statements. Which just feels off to me. Though I suppose its an 'alternative' factual statement , haha

Statement 6 of 10​

• ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory in Iraq and Syria in 2017.
vs

Statement 6 of 10​

• Two planes crashed into the twin towers in NY in 1999

I assumed thats how they meant it but then again, by that metric both the following are factual statements. Which just feels off to me. Though I suppose its an 'alternative' factual statement , haha
  • ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory in Iraq and Syria in 2017.
vs
  • Two planes crashed into the twin towers in NY in 1999
they both look like they're describing something that happened (except the second statement is false), hence they're factual

think about it this way: when you're reading fiction (e.g. Game of Thrones), nothing in the book is true, it's all made up. Yet, it'll describe some of these made-up things factually.

i guess they should have added the word "Comparatively". I disagree, but it will help me pass the tests in the future to know this is how the thinking process goes.
So how would you assess the truth of the proposition in relation to government, except by comparing the outcomes to similar nongovernmental organisations?

And how would you find metrics or criteria to distinguish between

a) "government systems are wasteful and inefficient"
b) "large organisations are wasteful and inefficient"
c) "any human organisations addressing complex issues are wasteful and inefficient"

(and other variants along these lines?)

So how would you assess the truth of the proposition in relation to government, except by comparing the outcomes to similar nongovernmental organisations?
I was pretty much going by all the Government Watchdog articles in MSM ive read over the years.

they both look like they're describing something that happened (except the second statement is false), hence they're factual

think about it this way: when you're reading fiction (e.g. Game of Thrones), nothing in the book is true, it's all made up. Yet, it'll describe some of these made-up things factually.
Mate I understand that,my point is its dangerous because now you can say the following is a factual statement
'The earth is flat'
which semantically it may be a factual statement, but you can see how thats dangerous esp on a site like this.
Call me mad if you will, but to me factual should be based on facts ala on proven true things. By calling things that are bullshit 'factual' one just muddies the water.

Actually not to belabour the point but after looking up factual in a couple of dictionaries, I do get the impression when you use the word 'factual' it has to be true, thus 'the earth is flat' would NOT be a factual statment, even though I said it was before. OK thats as clear as mud. :D

my point is its dangerous because now you can say the following is a factual statement
'The earth is flat'
You have always been able to say that, and that's our point. However, in the interest of clarity of communication, those chosing to use the terms in valid, but contentious, ways should ensure that ambiguity or confusion is minimised. However, we can't cater for every audience, not least because we don't even know what every possible audience is. Do you object to these equally:
- "The earth is flat" is a factual statement.
- "The earth is flat" is a factual claim.
Does the "claim" soften the certainty, one might call it, that came with "factual" and which was probably also reinforced by "statement"? It does for me, for instance.

I wonder if part of the problem is the over-use of "factual" when simply "a fact" would have been an alternative, and, because it's unambiguous, a better alternative. That surely is an unnecessary ambiguity (because the "presented as a matter of fact" definition preexists, you can't get rid of it) that should be pushed back against too.

However, to spoil everyone's day, you can even say "Incorrect facts":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...rect_facts_in_Wikipedia_namespace:_Everywhere!
(there's nothing to quote - the header demonstrating usage is in the link itself) - what oxymoron coined that usage?

You have always been able to say that, and that's our point. However, in the interest of clarity of communication, those chosing to use the terms in valid, but contentious, ways should ensure that ambiguity or confusion is minimised. However, we can't cater for every audience, not least because we don't even know what every possible audience is. Do you object to these equally:

In common parlance "a factual statement" is just a fancier way of saying "fact". So I tend to agree with @CaptainCourgette that it is misleading to say "'The earth is flat' is a factual statement" since the earth is not flat.

Every seriously intended claim is "factual" in the sense that the claimant believes it states a fact. And hence it would be less misleading if simply the term "claim" be used instead of "factual claim".

I wonder if part of the problem is the over-use of "factual" when simply "a fact" would have been an alternative

Well put.

However, to spoil everyone's day, you can even say "Incorrect facts":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...rect_facts_in_Wikipedia_namespace:_Everywhere!
(there's nothing to quote - the header demonstrating usage is in the link itself) - what oxymoron coined that usage?

Goes to show there's virtue in using words correctly, or at least in ways where the context renders their intended meaning/referent obvious.

Last edited:
I was pretty much going by all the Government Watchdog articles in MSM ive read over the years.
And did those articles apply the same criteria to large corporations, multinationals, charities, political party organisations, and all other instances of large scale institutions?

And did those articles apply the same criteria to large corporations, multinationals, charities, political party organisations, and all other instances of large scale institutions?
some of them probably. certainly not most. i still don't understand why the comparison is necessary for the survey question. It's not an IQ test, where if you train for it you'll do better. None of the other questions were comparative.

Actually not to belabour the point but after looking up factual in a couple of dictionaries, I do get the impression when you use the word 'factual' it has to be true
Yes, I did that as well, as I mentioned, with the same result.

It's only in the context of judging media (e.g. libel cases) that "factual statement" is used to mean "not an opinion" even if it is false.

On the other hand, nobody I know says "that's factual" when they can say "that's true", so...

i still don't understand why the comparison is necessary for the survey question.
to answer the question correctly, it wasn't necessary to decide the comparison

the fact that was hard to decide was a clue that it might be an opinion

it wasnt hard to decide.
although, i was only thinking of the united states.. maybe other countries don't buy $1,000 toilet seats (<that's an "Americanism" that people often cite to represent how wasteful the government it)

Bear in mind that just being an "opinion" tells us nothing about whether it is true or untrue, or whether (something I've often seen) it's an overgeneralization based upon a limited set of the facts, meaning it's "true-ish": true, but only concerning those specific criteria.

it wasnt hard to decide.
although, i was only thinking of the united states.. maybe other countries don't buy $1,000 toilet seats (<that's an "Americanism" that people often cite to represent how wasteful the government it)
As I understand it, the cost at that time was due to the fact that the company no longer produced them, and needed to stop what they were doing and retool. That cost was set by the manufacturer, a private company.

I respect Pew, and their right to set up the experiment as they chose.

But because I expected a "significant" ;P
percentage of takers to struggle with/deviate from Pew's terminology,
I had little interest in the results.

ETA: I think that the fact that some pretty smart people here are debating
what exactly takers were being asked to do, is evidence of the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe if it had asked us to identify "fact-type statements" vs "opinion type statements" it might have helped.

Around here, on this forum, I think we're hyper obsessed, rightfully so, with any statement being backed up with relevant evidence. As a result, I know in my case I misjudged #1 about the US having the highest cost medical expenses as opinion at first glance, as there was no evidence to back it up. The fact that it was a statement could have been backed up or falsified with evidence was the key.

I think looking back at everybody's scores, we're all pretty good at differentiating between "factual statements" and "opinion statements" for the most part. Giving what we do here, it's what I would expect.

Yes, I did that as well, as I mentioned, with the same result.

It's only in the context of judging media (e.g. libel cases) that "factual statement" is used to mean "not an opinion" even if it is false.
Yes that what I can see as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_statements_of_fact
The common phrase 'the law is an ass' applies very well here

I did find this, which may shed some light (if you can decipher it, I struggled but have just woken up)
https://academic.oup.com/analysis/article-abstract/13/1/24/150353?redirectedFrom=PDF

EDIT:
Does the "claim" soften the certainty,
It may soften it but IMO the word factual should not not be in there at all as its misleading

Last edited:
FWIW, I was less interested in what Pew might learn than I was in what I might.
I learned what i set out to learn. Namely why so many people on the internet say "it's not my opinion, it's a fact[ual]" when what they are saying is not true.

They are still wrong like 50% of the time because what they say IS opinion, but now i know if i post an untrue statement i can just claim its not my opinion. :)

...even though it is my opinion that my untrue statement is true. hmmm...now im confusing myself again!

I did find this, which may shed some light (if you can decipher it, I struggled but have just woken up)
https://academic.oup.com/analysis/article-abstract/13/1/24/150353?redirectedFrom=
SmartSelect_20220918-074316_Samsung Internet.jpg
Norwood Hansen distinguishes between a statement of fact (has to be a fact, i.e. true) and a factual statement (answers a auestion of fact, can be wrong). He'd have aced the Pew questionnaire.

If we ask, "what is the shape of the Earth?", that's a factual question.
"It's flat" is therefore a factual answer, but as it's not true, not a statement of fact.

I'm a conspiracy theorist and got it all correct. I couldn't help but notice the questions/statements were biased in favor of the elites' agenda and worldview (declaring anything opposed "opinion", and anything in favor "fact"). Many of the things deemed opinion were factual statements, but using "opinion words". And some statements deemed "Factual" also had this construction, but had words that were stereotyped as "factual opinions".

To give some examples:
"ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory in Iraq and Syria in 2017." is deemed a factual statement. But whether the territory was a "significant portion" is an opinion. The fact would be the loss of land (whether true or false), while the opinion is that it is "significant".
"Increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour is essential for the health of the U.S. economy." was deemed opinion because it has the implication of "something being essential". While this would be a political opinion, it is also a claim of fact that the $15 min wage is the only possible solution. "Essential" has a double meaning here, which could mean either one's opinion, or a factual statement. Computers are essential for the internet to function, is not an opinion, yet the same phrasing is used.
"Immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally are a very big problem for the country today." has a similar issue. "A very big problem" is deemed an opinion phrasing, but this is a statement of fact. The "opinion" here, is that the results of immigrants is a problem, not that immigrants contribute to what was deemed a problem. For instance if overpopulation is a problem, and immigrants lead to overpopulation, then immigration leading to a problem is a factual statement. The end result, "the problem" being a problem, is an opinion. This double meaning likely trips people up.
"Government is almost always wasteful and inefficient." is a funny one, since they called it an opinion. This is, unfortunately, a fact if you look at government spending and programs. Disability programs not being given to disabled people, unemployment not given to the unemployed, and housing programs not resulting in homeless being housed are all signs of inefficiency. Saying "the government is inefficient" then, is a factual statement. The "opinion" here is what constitutes "inefficient" and "wasteful". Is any spending at all wasteful? Is wrongly oriented spending wasteful? etc. that's the opinion. If spending a single dollar is wasteful, and the government spends a dollar, then the government being wasteful is a fact, not an opinion.
TLDR: they overload sentences with both facts and opinions to try and trip people up, and to phrase certain ideas as opinions and others as facts. If you take this same twisting to apply to the statements deemed "facts", such as obama's birth place, then it's entirely an opinion what the US borders are. After all, dems and gop seem to think we have the right to invade the middle east, so surely middle eastern people are americans due to that overreach in border? Likewise, the implication of one's birth place making them a citizen is an opinion. Facts and opinions get mixed up, because while something can be an objective statement, the implications and nuance to the phrasing can be littered with opinions. and similarly opinions can be informed by facts, and phrased in factual ways. "Obama is a kenyan" is a factual statement, but it's also the opinion of many people. "Opinion" here meaning one's view on the facts. The quiz was more oriented towards this notion of "opinion statements' grammatically and linguistically, rather than in the more popular conception of one's beliefs. "The rich are crooked" is my opinion, but the sentence is phrased in a factual way. Dumb test. Just propaganda to make people think they can't tell actual truth from nonsense and thus rely more on authorities to tell them what to believe. Use your brain. Don't be dumb. Don't listen to the rich.

You're focused on opinions, focus on facts instead.

"ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory in Iraq and Syria in 2017." is deemed a factual statement. But whether the territory was a "significant portion" is an opinion.
You can prove this by showing maps of ISIS territory at the start and at the end of 2017. It's a fact.

"Increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour is essential for the health of the U.S. economy." was deemed opinion because it has the implication of "something being essential".
There is no way to prove this statement because "the economy" is a large complex system that defies analysis.

"Government is almost always wasteful and inefficient." is a funny one, since they called it an opinion. This is, unfortunately, a fact if you look at government spending and programs.
If you look at government spending, what you see is government spending money to further some goals. To prove that it's wasteful and inefficient, you'd have to demonstrate that there are more efficient ways to reach the same goals, which may be possible in some cases but not for "almost all".

"Obama is a kenyan" is a factual statement, but it's also the opinion of many people. "Opinion" here meaning one's view on the facts.
It's factual because it can be proven or disproven (and has been).

People have opinions on what the facts are.
It's a fact that people have opinions.

Back