New Forum Software

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved from vBulletin to Xenforo for the software that runs the Forum.

This will initially cause some things to break, and be a little confusing, but in the long run Xenforo is a much nicer system to use, and seems like it is better positioned for what I want to do with Metabunk.

I know video links are broken (video fixed), and EX tags don't look quite right. I'm working on fixing this and other things, but please feel free to note in this thread if you find something else missing or broken, or even just a suggestion for improvement.

Thanks!

Tip for people used to the "Activity Stream", try the Members/Recent Activity tab. I'll move it to the main menu bar shortly.

Last edited:
Uploading Fixed. Much easier that before. Just click on "Upload file" (right next to "Post Reply" at the bottom right of the edit box).

Just one thing I noticed: In Metabunk article comments the links to the article in question don't seem to work: for example
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/article-pseudojournalism.36/ contains the link
https://www.metabunk.org/content/133-Pseudojournalism

been here one day, and I get a new layout, wow!

Thanks! That was actually a leftover forum from the import, the comments are now attached to the actual articles.,
https://www.metabunk.org/forums/front-page.37/

And the "article comments" forum has been deleted, as it was all just duplicates (part of the suckiness of VB)

Last edited:
The "thanks" system has been replaced by "like" (on the right side of the post). All previous "thanks" have been converted to "likes"

Thanks!

Tip for people used to the "Activity Stream", try the Members/Recent Activity tab. I'll move it to the main menu bar shortly.

Recent activity seems not to update automatical like the old activity-stream did.

...and for some reason Avatar-changes are not saved after uploading a picture.

Recent activity seems not to update automatical like the old activity-stream did.

...and for some reason Avatar-changes are not saved after uploading a picture.
I shall look into it. I see your avatar, did it change eventually, just not straight away?

I must say that there are one or two regressions from my point of view. Several fonts are tiny and/or light grey on white.
Some action links (e.g. View last message in overview, Like, Reply) are quite small and inconspicuous.

I suppose I'm getting old ...

Edit: on the other hand I like the default serif font for post text!

Hey, I'm getting old too. I'll need reading glasses soon.
I'll see if I can make it so the fonts are all as before (i.e. in vBulletin). I don't really like this serifed font anyway.

Feel free to mention any quibbles. There's a lot of flexibility, and lots of add-ons (like that "Spy" module).

Hey, I'm getting old too. I'll need reading glasses soon.[/quote]

Welcome to the club :cool:

I'll see if I can make it so the fonts are all as before (i.e. in vBulletin). I don't really like this serifed font anyway.

... but i didn´t shoot the comic-sans!

Noticed, that inserted pictures are linked directly, there is no option to copy them to metabunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll also work on making the start-up of the "spy" screen less annoying. (the slow filing in in the last ten posts)

I've changed the Spy so it displays previous events instantly, and future events only every 15 seconds.

The 'what's new' doesn't really work the way it used to, the recent member activity doesn't update automatically, so the 'spy' option seems to be the best.

Hey, I'm getting old too. I'll need reading glasses soon... Feel free to mention any quibbles.

I'd also like to convey my thanks for all your work on this site, Mick. The update looks great. Especially after the font change. It makes following long complicated posts much easier. (Yes, I got my first pair of reading glasses this year)

I'm not fond of the peachy pastel tone of the quote box. It makes me angry and confused.

Thank you. I'm feel much better now.

One feature I liked in vBulletin was the little green light next to the avatar that let you know if the member was on-line. Can you do something similar with Xenforo?

Oh this former typesetter really LOLed at that one!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am missing the recent posts on the main page. That helped me see what was a hot topic or even grab my attention to something I.would nit normally be interested in. I have a Windows phone and everything does seem a little smaller. Apart from that it is all good.

The "Spy" page should serve the same purpose, but I suppose the difference is that it's not on the home page.

I'll be working on the mobile themes - or at least making it look nicer on mobile. Might take me a few days though. Keep reminding me :)

@Mick

Is it possible to change the collums on the spy-page? I´m using overlapping windows with the sites I "have an Eye on" . The Event-Collumn on the Left is not so practical to recognize changes, The "Who/Where"-Collumn would be much better there.

@Mick

Is it possible to change the collums on the spy-page? I´m using overlapping windows with the sites I "have an Eye on" . The Event-Collumn on the Left is not so practical to recognize changes, The "Who/Where"-Collumn would be much better there.

I'll give it a go. It's a fairly small piece of custom code, so I should be able to re-customize it quite a bit. I'm going to restrict it to New Post & New Threads, so the first column is really not needed at all.

Back