Mystery object in Ibiza

derrick06

This was posted on May 2. The article, (I'm using this one sent to me from a friend.) Shows what seems to be a comet or space debris falling. (The video cant be independently linked so you have to click on the article link I have here to view it. =/)

The article makes claims such as "A remarkable video of a large white object falling out of the sky over the Spanish island of Ibiza has many authorities believing it to be space junk. However, local astronomers tracked the object and say its movement could only be explained if it were self-propelled."

Here is the link to the article itself. http://www.openminds.tv/ufo-video-ibiza-baffles-local-astronomers/27384

Now looking at the footage and article I would presume that this is space junk or something similar like Mick has showed on past posts. However here it seems odd because they claim:

"the video itself shows the object moving in a direction that is not the same as the direction it was headed when it was initially tracked."

Can there be any reason for this? Is there any further information given that disproves this claim? Just trying to identify what this one is!

WeedWhacker

Now looking at the footage and article I would presume that this is space junk ...
I will stick my neck out, here, and say it's not likely any de-orbiting object....it is just too slow for that.

My (very initial) thought is an airliner, and a non-persistent contrail. That is, a contrail that forms, and then sublimates rapidly afterwards.

This is based on the apparent speed, from the observer on the ground who is making the video.

Still, the other comments made about the video might need further discussion.

(EDIT: On a personal side-note...I was amused to see William Shatner featured in the right-hand side of the page....not sure if it displays the same for everyone, and each time the website is accessed?)

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
It is a contrail from a four-engine jet, e.g, Boeing 747, flying straight away from the observer. It is a common misapprehension; short sunlit contrails look like UFO, or meteors, especially at sunset or sunrise.

cosmic

Senior Member.
There's already a thread on this, here: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/uf...simply-contrails-contrail-flight-vy2425.3533/

It's just a contrail. Mick already pointed out the likely culprit.

The article in the OP merely repeats descriptions from prior sources, and they're a total mess due to either poor translation or other errors. I wouldn't get too hung up on its text.
(Meteorites, by definition, impact Earth's surface; friction is not the cause of glowing orbital debris on reentry; it's highly unlikely that the referenced telescope "tracked the object" in real time. It's not "space junk" as no matching reentries would have been visible from that location. A Russian rocket body did reenter the atmosphere earlier in the day before the video was shot, but it wouldn't have been viewable from Spain.)

As I've written previously: casual skygazers are probably unaware that all orbital debris larger than a few centimeters is actively tracked on a daily basis, and reentries are predicted well in advance. Tens of thousands of objects are monitored regularly, and those with decaying orbits are well-known.

If a visible reentry is expected, it's usually publicized several days ahead of time. You don't just show up with a camera or smartphone and film something nobody knew was coming (unless of course you're fortunate enough to capture a Chelyabinsk-style event).

derrick06

@cosmic Oh ok! I search for these posts before I make new threads but I sometimes can't find them. Sorry for blowing up the threads guys!

Anyways, thanks for the answer!

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: Washington State Island "Mystery missile" - Helicopter Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 49
Christophe Isbert The Mississippi Triangle Mystery (status: solved or probably solved) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
cloudspotter Mystery Plane over Newcastle Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Identified: "Mystery Plane" Circling Over Denver, IRON99 [E-6B Mercury TACAMO] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mick West Claim: Mystery 747s Abandoned at Malaysia Airport General Discussion 7
Jay Reynolds Chemtrails Comedy/Mystery novel Lady Justice #21 Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Trailblazer Debunked: "The Snake" non-commercial chemtrail plane (China Eastern A330) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 33
TEEJ Mystery Aircraft over Texas 10th March 2014 - Steve Douglass Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 114
Oxymoron Mystery White Plane Over Whitehouse 9/11 69
firepilot Mystery Carnicom event - Santa Fe, NM Oct 22. Conspiracy Theories 3
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
Getoffthisplanet International Space Station (ISS) Live Stream from 2/21/2020 - Unidentified Object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West UFO Billboard in Montana Uses Photo of Identified Flying Object UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Snake Plisken Dark irregular shaped object drifting in the sky [Castle Mylar Party Balloon] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 52
Mick West Earth's Radius Calculator (from the amount a distant object is obscured) Tools for Investigating and Debunking 0
Royce Malphrus What is this? [unidentified object in photo from vehicle: lamp post] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
Mick West NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 452
Marine0811 Unknown flying insect or object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
Mick West Debunked: First object teleported to Earth's orbit [Quantum Communication] Science and Pseudoscience 11
Radapox Peru gas station object (blue "walking" blob) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
M Physical Object or Camera Artifcat? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Explained: Large Cigar Shaped Object Caught Shooting Into Storm Cloud In Spain [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
Jason Debunked: Planet sized object (ALIENS) caught by SOHO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 10
Jenna Object In Sky [Internal Lens Reflection, iPhone 5] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 34
jaydeehess Puerto Vallarta Feb.2014 object Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
S Took this photo with strange undentified object...... UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 7
M Do Ibiza and Mallorca prove a Flat Earth? [No, they demonstrate the curve of the globe] Flat Earth 24
Rory Debunked: Eric Dubay "Flat Earth Proof" #13 Flat Earth 23
ufoofinterest Ufo over Ibiza: meteor, missile, rocket or simply contrails? [Contrail. Maybe Flight VY2425] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Related Articles

Related Articles